new vaccine for GBS

• Anonymous
      May 31, 2010 at 2:37 pm

Researchers in the US and Japan are working on a vaccine to block autoimmune responses that get triggered in diseases including GBS: “Blalock also noted that a Japanese laboratory has done much the same thing for an animal version of Guillain-Barre syndrome, an autoimmune disease in which peripheral nerves are attacked, and that his own team is working on a vaccine for multiple sclerosis” It is still in the animal stage but is showing promise which might mean in several years people getting GBS will get a vaccine that might stop it in its tracks-don’t we wish we had that a few years ago! I wonder if it is applicable to CIDP as well-I think it should be. How nice if a simple, cheap injection could be produced. Jeff

• Anonymous
      June 1, 2010 at 12:18 pm

That is great, but what about those of us who develope autoimmune diseases from vaccines??? Mine was triggered by the flu vaccines. Still don’t know what I am dealing with at this point. Initially mild GBS, but still having a LOT of symptoms. I used to be in favor of vaccines, but now I am not so sure.

• Anonymous
      June 2, 2010 at 10:40 am

That’s wonderful! This research on this vaccine for GBS & other autoimmune disorders! We are all grateful for this. Yes it would be nice if it were developed years ago, however, it will be ready hopefully in the not too distant future. Let’s all keep praying & hanging in there! Hope is eternal.

• Anonymous
      June 2, 2010 at 3:48 pm

Jeff that sounds wonderful !!! Wouldn’t that be something if there was a vaccine that would cure us from GBS, CIDP caused by a vaccine ! A vaccine to counteract a vaccine.
      The SCT in Chicago sounds good now for us already affected, if we could only afford it ! Its a shame that we can’t have universal health care. Yeah, we will keep praying for a miracle.

God bless,
      Drummer

• Anonymous
      June 2, 2010 at 9:32 pm

My mom’s best friend had a dog diagnosed with something similar to GBS shortly after Emily was dx’d with CIDP. He got it after having his vaccines.

It’s good to know researchers are out there working on it.

Kelly

• Anonymous
      June 3, 2010 at 1:13 am

Vaccines are prevenative – that means you take them before any symptoms of the disease occurs – like we all used to take a polio vaccine to prevent polio. As Jessicah says, we take flu vaccines to prevent the flu. So a vaccine for GBS would be taken as a prevenative measure. It would not cure, or reverse GBS once started. A vaccine to prevent a variety of auto immune diseases would be great – I imagine it would go hand in hand with an AIDS vaccine. Can’t imagine the general population russhing out to get a vaccination for something they never heard of. However, it is GREAT they are doing research on all of this.

• Anonymous
      June 3, 2010 at 9:42 am

I have read articles that said the drug companies have pretty much saturated the market with the drugs they have and are looking for new ways to make money (notice I didn’t say get people better!) The article said they are concentrating their efforts into Vaccines! Since reading that,I have been alert to articles touting new vaccines. Just this week I heard of a drug they are pushing for Whooping cough for parents….because parents supposedly give it to their children!!! Nothing the drug companies do surprises me. When they try to convince parents to get vaccines for their young elementary to middle school-age girls against sexually tranmitted diseases that only work for a few out of many viruses…..sheesh. Soon they will be pushing a VACCINE of the MONTH!!! Hurry and be the first in your neighborhood to protect your family and show others what a good parent you are!!! Greed….And sadly we might have more and more new sufferers on our forum.
      Jeff, I still think there might be a few good vaccines out there….in the spirit of openmindedness!! BUT I am probably NOT going to try it. They say to give every new drug a few years for the side effects to show up. It reminds me to what they say about Sausage…if you knew how they made it, you wouldn’t eat it! Guess I have read too too many books on the big pharmaceutical companies and seen its devasting effects on the population.
      Yipppeeee….my 300th (Wholistically based) post!!

• Anonymous
      June 3, 2010 at 10:17 am

Carolyn – I agree with you 100% on the Gardasil vaccine. Emily’s pediatrician actually tried to tell me it was a “cancer vaccine”. I said “Ummm….NO. It’s a vaccine to protect against a sexually transmitted disease, which 85% of women already have, and it MAY cause cancer in some people”. He dropped it after that.

If only I knew what I know now, when Emily was an infant maybe I could have prevented her from getting CIDP. It eats at me everyday. Mommy guilt…it gets me every time.

Kelly

• Anonymous
      June 3, 2010 at 12:33 pm

Kelly and Carolyn,

I am with you on the Gardasil vaccine. My daughter is only 2, but after my experience with this H1N1 vaccine, I cannot knowingly subject my family to the same potential experience. I believe in the childhood vaccines, but they give way too many at a time and they need to space them out more. They say that there is no link to this with autism, but I am not so sure. I always made sure that my kids did not get more than 3, at the most 4 at a time, which was still so many. My sister’s pediatrician worked with her at spacing them out.

I blame the media and my paranoia about germs and illnesses for the situation I am in now, getting the H1N1 vaccine. I took my kids to get it after reading so much about it and panicking. They offered it to me and my husband and we said sure. Now my life has changed in one instant. I went from being completely healthy, to just struggling to get through the day with fatigue and chronic pain and never knowing if it will go away or get worse. I blame myself for letting the media fearmonger me into this. Of course, I am in the minority, the 1 in a million category, but it still doesn’t make it right. The government is too quick to push these vaccines when the jury is not out and so are the doctors and the vaccine manufacturers. Sorry if I am a little angry, but it has literally changed my life in an instant and we cannot be so cavalier about this.

• Anonymous
      June 3, 2010 at 2:53 pm

Remember in the beginning the H1N1 vaccine was only available to a selected few & now available to more. I remember 100 vaccines were available in East Texas, they were given to a celect group of people, high on the totum pole, who did not come in contact with sick people or even the public.

Has anyone seen the movie 2012? Only the very important & filthy stinking rich had reserved seats on the arks. That movie was funny up to that point. I apologize for the remark”filthy stinking rich” to those who worked very hard & are well off. Sorry, I feel very cranky today.

You are all in my heart & in my prayers.
      smitty

• Anonymous
      June 3, 2010 at 8:09 pm

From what I read, if I understood it correctly, the vaccine could be given once GBS started to try and bring it to a stop. I understand the suspicions about medications, but I know I would be very ill now if not for prednisone, a nasty medicine if ever there was one. It is the only thing that keeps my pericarditis in check, at least for now. I guess there is always a trade-off with the body, but it would be nice if there were an affordable treatment for GBS CIDP in the not too distant future.
      But I was not endorsing the research, just sharing it with you all. It will be interesting to see how it develops. I also think it is a small proportion of people who get GBS from vaccines as I have heard so many other stories. I for one got it from the flu and not from a vaccine. I have had several vaccines since without any problems, including one for the flu and shingles and the last one for pneumonia. So once more I guess we are all very different and need to make sure we do what is right for our bodies. Jeff

• Anonymous
      June 3, 2010 at 11:58 pm

Prednisone – it is nasty and life saving! It has saved me more than once. Haven’t used it for GBS, but I can see how it would work. I, too, am happy about the research and hope it continues. My sister with lupis is grateful for all the AIDS research as she has benifited from an “afterthought” kind of view. We are in the same boat. I donn’t know, Jeff, ya think they’ll ever get it figured out?

• Anonymous
      June 4, 2010 at 3:29 pm

I think we Naively trust that the pharmaceuticals are made specifically for a condition…but if you listen to the commercials, I often hear, we THINK it does such and such. And most of the money is not put into research…..one finds a drug that works and the rest copycat it……if you research it, it will change your way of thinking and trusting…..it is a shame that we have to do the research…..Doctors should be doing the research on these drug companies..but I have only found 3 doctors that do this….two in Florida and one in PA…..one is dead, one is retired, and the other is quite old. But they knew the TRUTH……and I was lucky to have found them. If I were looking for a doctor, I would check out the ones in Suzanne Somers’ books…..she wrote about one of the three that I went to…Dr. Shippen…..who I think is retired.
      Now I am questioning the new Vaccines…..and not buying into the scare tactics…..it is a shame that our government is paid off by the big Pharmas…I am thankful that I did not give up my supplements during both bouts of GBS……my 40 years of reading paid off…..plus I give thanks to the IDIOT doctors that have crossed my path…like the expensive dermatologist that wrote me a prescripion for FLEA POWDER when I actually had shingles…which I got rid of in two days with my vitamins…..he could not answer how the fleas were smart enough to know where to come back to each day and follow the pattern (the nerve endings that the virus follows) …..He said, “Hey,you came to me……and that is my diagnosis…”