New to GBS Need sugestions

• Anonymous
      December 9, 2007 at 7:18 pm

Hello, My name is Jeff Miller from Eau Claire WI and I got GBS on 9-24-07 and spent a month in the hospital. I am slowly getting my life back. I was able to ward off the respirator when it stopped at my chin. I was in and out of the Drs. office and hospital, and they kept sending me home with Bronchitis and Pneumonia which is how they associated the pain in my legs and back and finally I couldn’t get out of bed, so we went to a different hospital and they had me figured out in a couple of hours. I was wondering if anyone has had dealings with Mega Life and Health Insurance or NASE, they are my insurance company and it appeares that my coverage wasn’t what I thought it was. I am learning more about my policy and am afraid it looks bleak. Any Ideas:

• December 9, 2007 at 7:34 pm

Is it possible to look for a new plan? What are you having difficulty getting covered? If you call the hospital and explain the situation, they usually are pretty good about absorbing the cost. Also, if you want to save some money on taxes, there is a type of plan where you can calculate about how much out of pocket you will have for the year, then it goes in a special account and is tax free. There are some drawbacks, you have to be pretty accurate in your estimation, because if you have extra, you have to spend it. Glasses, bandaids, whatever you can think of medically.

Usually p/t seems to be the hardest thing to get covered, have you had difficulty getting it covered?

Good luck,
      Dawn Kevies mom

• Anonymous
      December 9, 2007 at 9:26 pm

Hi Jeff, Welcome to The Family. Have you tried medicaid? That would be a place to start. Get in contact with the hospital billing/customer service and ask about limited income programs. Take care.

• Anonymous
      December 9, 2007 at 10:01 pm

Hi Jeff, it’s nice to meet you and am glad to hear that your getting better. I am not familiar with your insurance companies but had no insurance when I was admitted/diagnosed. I am not sure where your having issues so I can only give you some broad advice. Contact your local and state government and see what types of help is available, on a city and county level I was given lots of help, then state kicked in. My federal help took forever. You can get help with copays, prescriptions, etc. It takes some work, but it can be done. See if a social worker at your hospital can offer advice or guidance. That’s a start, feel free to PM me if I can help.

Jerimy