New symptoms/homeopathic issue?

• Anonymous
      March 29, 2010 at 1:20 pm

I am not sure if this is the proper forum, but I need some help. Over a week ago, I went to a homeopathic dr since I was so frustrated with traditional western medicine, and thought I would explore alternative options. She prescribed Pulsatilla (a dried flower), and had me mix 2 pellets with water and take ONE SIP, which I did on Sunday, March 21. The following day, I started experiencing dizziness, like when I am walking, I feel like I am going to fall over backwards, and headaches in the front part of my head, above my eyes, that have moved from left to right. Also, some itching kind of all over, but primarily chest/neck. It was fairly mild earlier in the week, but has progressively gotten a little worse. I also have a little bit of visual problems, like words don’t look totally right.

I have a history of vascular migraines, the ones with the aura, and they also tie in closely with my hormones, and it is that time of the month right now. (TMI for the men, I know, sorry!) Anyway, I am trying not to panic since I am assuming that this is just migraine related. However, I have never had dizziness with them, or headaches that have gone on more than a week usually. I saw my family doc on Friday and he said that it could be an allergic rxn to the homeopathic medicine and told me to take Zyrtec. The homeopathic dr is on vacation, and her assistant said that this might be a “healing crisis.” I called my neuro and got an appt tomorrow a.m. Of course, I am worried that I am having a brain aneurysm or something terribly serious. My husband said that I will now be forever scarred having had “mild” GBS, and I was a nervous Nellie to begin with before GBS about health issues. I am horribly sensitive to meds.

Has anyone had any kind of weird rxn to a homeopathic remedy or new symptom? If so, does it take a while to go away? On the plus side, my fatigue is better, my nausea and my energy level, and my muscle pain. Is this a coincidence, I don’t know. I find it hard to believe that I could have a reaction to ONE SIP of something, but given my history of being sensitive, I am not ruling this out. I know this is an odd post, but would appreciate any similar experiences. Not sure I am going to continue taking any “potions”….

• March 29, 2010 at 2:10 pm

Hi Jessica, I am surprised the homeopath. dr. did not do allergy testing prior to the administration. We did the elisa and for example, certain good bacterias in pro/pre biotics are cow milk derrivatives so we were prescribed human ones. There was one powder that made Kev want to barf even before he tried it so we never did that one, it too was a powder taken w/food, two scoops. We also DID feel worse in the begining, but he told us we would because the body is getting used to things it was depleted in, such as enzymes, good yeast etc. He gave us charcoal pills to absorb toxins that result from the grapefruit seed extract doing its job on candida as well as upset from the other stuff. He has felt better the last couple of days. We will be starting the nystatin soon to for sure kill the candida and I suspect there will be a sudden onset of ill feeling.
      What was the rememdy she prescribed supposed to address? Did she do the saliva hormone test? That is the neuroscience lab I was telling you about. Kids are on Spring break if you want to hook up, we could talk about Kid Rock Too!!! Your husbands comments are not ill intentioned I am sure. From what you have described he seems like a caring guy. His world too has been turned upside down, just my opinion which usually gets me in trouble, but I think guys feel like they have to fix everything for their family and he might feel like his hands are tied?

If you still have the feelings, try researching, but I bet some simple charcoal pills would help to absorb the remedy that did not agree with you. Keep us posted.

• Anonymous
      March 29, 2010 at 2:53 pm

Dawn, she did not do any allergy testing….where can I find charcoal pills?

My hubby has been a good sport through all of this…he worries, but has to keep it under wraps to balance my hysteria, to bring me back down. His worry comes out in yelling sometimes, (and then I have to calm him down. ;)but you are right, guys want to fix things and with this thing, you can’t. It is tough on family members…..

• March 29, 2010 at 5:51 pm

Jessica,
      Before you go to get charcoal pills, don’t forget my disclaimer, I am just a whacked out mom. I am sure your homeopath has them as well, I would bet gnc maybe even walmart or walgreens? When you overdose, not that I have, a friend did. They take this tube and shove it down your throat and follow with charcoal to absorb the drugs. They do it for poison control too. You should check with someone though, I have no idea what its contraindications are from a health standpoint or other meds you may be on. That is the part of this naturopath stuff that worries me, there are no labels, no warnings. Well keep us posted.

• Anonymous
      March 29, 2010 at 9:31 pm

I’m very sorry to hear of these new medical problems. If you’re having a reaction to the homeopathic stuff, that wouldn’t be unusual. People do have bad reactions at times. Our systems are so altered as it is, adding other things into the mix can sometimes be further upsetting.
      Like you, I have to watch what I eat and drink, and what products I use, because of all kinds of allergies and sensitivities to all of it. I am gradually eliminating many things from my diet and from my product-user habits.
      A healing crisis??? the receptionist said? 😮 Sheesh, those symptoms you’re describing don’t sound like healing to me. So take good care of yourself, and don’t take chances with their stuff. They’ve got all kinds of claims, but in the end, your body is the one that has to deal with all of it.
      How I wish that healing and recovery from GBS was quicker, but it isn’t.
      Some of the lucky ones that got the proper DX and treatment in the crucial onset stage are recovering faster and better, but the rest of us have to do it at a slower pace.

The only natural remedies that helped me were: grape juice for strength and vitality, hot apple-cider vinegar drinks cured my headaches and improved my heart and circulation, ground beef and protein-rich foods strengthened my remaining muscle fibers and lessened the pain. And most of all…TIME…the healing is taking place, but it takes lots of time.

Take care of yourself. 🙂

• Anonymous
      March 30, 2010 at 12:08 pm

Thanks D.U.

I am not going to be taking any homeopathic remedies anymore most likely. I went to my primary dr and my neuro and they both think it is migraine related. I have never had dizziness before with my migraines, so I am concerned, but the doctor said that they can change. No suggestion except to take some barbiturate for the pain, which is really not the issue. I asked if he could give me something for the dizziness and he said no. So now on top of everything else, I have to walk around dizzy with mild visual issues….I am so aggravated I can’t even tell you!! I feel like just getting under my covers and never coming out again!! But I can’t do that… please pray for me that this dizziness goes away. It is very hard to function with this. I have not found one doctor that has helped me, except for my family doctors, so I guess that would mean all the neuros! They have all been useless.

• March 30, 2010 at 1:52 pm

Jessica,
      I don’t know about you guys, but we have tons of sinus stuff going around. I actually went a few weeks ago for an mri because I thought I had a tumor or sonething, my eye was closing and I was so dizzy I could not walk. Turns out it was a sinus infection. It had no obvious discharge to indicate that, hence the mri. Is it possible you have your regular migranes in addition to a sinus infection. We still have it going around our schools, since we are not too far, I imagine it could be near you guys.

• Anonymous
      March 30, 2010 at 8:03 pm

Jessicah, I also had extreme dizziness, vision distortion and constant headache with my case of GBS. The dizziness lasted months, then lessened.
      I took acetamenophen for the headache, which helped some, but it was only when I started taking my hot apple-cider vinegar drink daily that the headaches stopped. I still get them occasionally now, but I know what to do.

Recipe:
      Boil water.
      Place 2 tbsps. Heinz Apple Cider Vinegar into large mug.
      Place 2 tbsps. sugar into mug.
      Pour boiling water into the mug and stir.
      Sip slowly, because it has a bite.
      Headache should diminish within half an hour and leave within 2 hours.
      Repeat 3 times a day maximum for adults.
      Thereafter, use once a day. Rinse mouth after drinking, to minimize acid.
      Cleans out clogged arteries to some extent, improving circulation and heart function.

Get a grip on your fear; that is one thing that will make these matters worse.
      Flush your system with purified water; breathe fresh air; eat plain, wholesome foods, and rest often. Get well soon! 🙂

• Anonymous
      March 31, 2010 at 10:50 am

D.U. Thanks for the tip on the apple cider drink…I am going to try that and let you know!