New Pain Med

• Anonymous
      July 8, 2011 at 4:17 pm

My neuro just prescribed me a new pain med to try. It is Nuedexta, has anyone else tried it? He said it just got approved through the FDA for use with neuro pain. He has tried everything else and nothing is working for me. I do take Vicodin, but it does not take the pain away completely. He is also giving me an MRI for the spine to see if something in my back could be contributing to the pain.
      Clare in Michigan

• Anonymous
      July 9, 2011 at 1:06 am

It is interesting to me to learn that many people that have CIDP are complaining of back pain.

I thought I was alone but it seems that others suffer back pain as well.

Never heard of the new pain med I’ll have to ask doctor next time I see him to see if it approved in Canada.

Take care,

• Anonymous
      July 9, 2011 at 9:08 am

Emily suffered from back in pain. I was told it was caused by the inflammation on her spine. Make sure the MRI is with & without contrast, so they will be able to tell if you too have inflammation.

Kelly

• Anonymous
      July 11, 2011 at 12:10 am

Are you SURE this is the med you were prescribed?? If so, your neurologist knows something that others don’t. This drug is a combination of Dextromethorphan and Quinidine and, according to the web, is prescribed for “episodes of pseudobulbar affect (PBA)—sudden, involuntary outbursts of crying or laughing throughout the day”. There is nothing on the web to indicate that this medication has even an “off-label” use for pain.

Dextromethorphan is a cough suppressant, used in Robitussin and other cough medicines, and Quinidine is an anti-malarial drug. AM’s are often used for inflammation…I’m currently on Placquenil, which is Hydroxychloroquine, another medication originally used for Malaria, but now a common “Entry-level drug” for Rheumatoid Arthritis.

Hence, the reason for my question. I can’t find anything on the web indicating this is used as a pain medication. Interesting…

• Anonymous
      July 11, 2011 at 8:28 am

Look under AVP-923….

From the NIH-

“…AVP-923, a combination of dextromethorphan hydrobromide and quinidine sulfate for the treatment of pseudobulbar affect [COLOR=”Green”]and neuropathic pain[/COLOR]…”

From the Manufacturer-

“…[I] AVP-923 for Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathic Pain

On April 18, 2007, AVANIR Pharmaceuticals announced positive top-line results from the Company’s Phase III clinical trial evaluating the investigational drug AVP-923, an NMDA antagonist and sigma-1 agonist,[COLOR=”Green”] in diabetic peripheral neuropathic pain[/COLOR]. The primary endpoint of the trial was based on the daily diary entries for the Pain Rating Scale as defined in the Special Protocol Assessment (SPA) with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). In the trial, two doses of AVP-923, a high dose of AVP-923 dosed twice daily and a low dose of AVP-923 dosed twice daily, were compared to placebo based on daily patient diary entries for the Pain Rating Scale. Both AVP-923 treatment groups had lower pain ratings than placebo patients (p less than 0.0001 in both cases). Overall, the safety data from this study are consistent with data from previous studies….[/I]”

• Anonymous
      July 11, 2011 at 5:02 pm

There seem to be a number of articles about it being used for neuropathic pain in MS. Google drug name combined with pain and they come up.
      Laurel