New medicine called Savella

• Anonymous
      May 8, 2010 at 1:07 am

Hi everyone,
      My doctor put me on a new medication called Savella this week. The past 3 meds I have been on gave me side effects that I could not tolerate, like extreme fatigue, eating in my sleep, memory loss and so on… The meds were Cymbalta, Effexor and Lyrica. I stopped taking them over a month ago and feel just as bad as when I was on them, the only difference is that I am now 30 pounds heavier!!!!:eek: I am extremely hesitant of starting a new med because I had so many bad side effects, but after not being on them for a month, my doctor said that he wants me to try this new one. He swears it does not cause weight gain or fatigue. I’d like to hear that from people who have actually taken the medicine. Right now, I control my pain with vicodine and I get IVIG every 1 and a half months (3-5 day treatments). I would like to know if I can expect any relief and if so, in what way? I’d also like to know the side effects. Please don’t hold back. I would really like to know what I am getting myself into with this new drug…….:confused:

• Anonymous
      May 8, 2010 at 5:51 pm

Here are real patient experiences as reported by them:
      [url]http://www.askapatient.com/viewrating.asp?drug=22256&name=SAVELLA[/url]

• Anonymous
      May 8, 2010 at 8:43 pm

I went on the website and am so confused.:confused: I am on day 5 and have already suffered from a panic attack, severe sweating and flushing to the point where random people are coming up to me and asking me if I am alright. It is downright embarassing!:o As we speak, I have not slept in 36 hours because of the insomnia! A lot if people are quoting to stick with it for the 2 week starter pack and the symptoms will start to go away, others are saying to stay far away from it because they are feeling worse!!!! I don’t know what to do…… I have tried ALL the other meds out there in the last 8 years. Savella is really my last chance at conventional medicine. I have had severe reactions to all the meds such as memory loss and fatigue where I couln’t be out of bed for longer that for hours a day. That is not ok for a 34 year old mother of 2 small children. My husband is tired of feeling like a single dad and I don’t blame him. I guess I am going to have to suffer for the trial period, stick it out and PRAY that they start to taper off. if not, it’s back to……. well, it’s back to treating my symptoms with vicodine, xanax, lots of sleeping pills and adderral for the day…………… WOW! Is this what life is going to be like for the rest of my life??????

[QUOTE=jdunk]Here are real patient experiences as reported by them:
      [url]http://www.askapatient.com/viewrating.asp?drug=22256&name=SAVELLA[/url][/QUOTE]

• Anonymous
      May 10, 2010 at 10:09 am

Florencia,

Fairly odd mother has recently started taking Savella and if you do a search on the Forum, you can find her posts and reactions, which might be helpful to you. It sounded like there were some initial issues that went away after 2 weeks.

I hear you about the reactions to meds. I took Cymbalta one day and was in the ER, blurry vision, low blood pressure, vomiting, couldn’t get out of bed for 12 hours. I have 2 small children so I cannot function like that. I need to be on some kind of medicine, but am terribly afraid of the side effects and that it will be worse, so I suffer through my pain. If you continue to take it, please keep us posted.

• Anonymous
      May 10, 2010 at 1:49 pm

[QUOTE=jessicah]Florencia,

Fairly odd mother has recently started taking Savella and if you do a search on the Forum, you can find her posts and reactions, which might be helpful to you. It sounded like there were some initial issues that went away after 2 weeks.

I hear you about the reactions to meds. I took Cymbalta one day and was in the ER, blurry vision, low blood pressure, vomiting, couldn’t get out of bed for 12 hours. I have 2 small children so I cannot function like that. I need to be on some kind of medicine, but am terribly afraid of the side effects and that it will be worse, so I suffer through my pain. If you continue to take it, please keep us posted.[/QUOTE]

Florencia, This also goes to show you that meds can affect people differently. I took Cymbalta for well over a year for neuropathy and had no side effects at all. It just quit working one day!

Do read as much as you can on the med…but go by how you feel. Sometimes toughing out side effects works and others it doesn’t. I have restarted some meds a couple times some finally worked and others didn’t.

Good luck!

• Anonymous
      May 14, 2010 at 4:12 pm

Hi everyone,
      I wanted to let you all know that I took myself off of Savella. I was suffering from migraines, nasuea, insomnia, increased pain, and worst of all, depression. It was strange. I told my doctor that although an oxymoron, I was depressed, and emotionally numb at the same time. I discussed with my husband, who said I should ride it out, but told him that my thoughts were dark. I wasn’t feeling happiness at all. I was emotionally detached from the world and wanted it that way. I knew that it was only a matter of time before my thoughts of unhappiness would turn into thoughts that could endanger my relationship with him and my children. It just wasn’t worth it. I lasted 12 days! I just can’t go on with it…… There is too much at stake. Besides, my track record with all my other meds haven’t been to my favor and the side effects on those weren’t half as bad as on Savella…..:(

• Anonymous
      May 14, 2010 at 4:52 pm

12 days with side effects as you were having was a fair trial. The depressive side effects like that are highly unlikely to subside and usually get worse.

I agree, you made the best choice for yourself.
      Good luck with future treatments 🙂

• Anonymous
      May 17, 2010 at 2:07 pm

I haven’t had the pleasure yet. Is the procedure an after hours thing? Can someone work the next day? Is it done in a hospital or office evironment? How is it paid for? Is it to help with the symtoms or the the disease? Just curious, it could be next for me?

• Anonymous
      May 17, 2010 at 4:08 pm

[QUOTE=Gary Erwin]I haven’t had the pleasure yet. Is the procedure an after hours thing? Can someone work the next day? Is it done in a hospital or office evironment? How is it paid for? Is it to help with the symtoms or the the disease? Just curious, it could be next for me?[/QUOTE]

Hi Gary,

I see you put IVIG in your question title. This is a thread on Savella, an oral medication. Are you referring to IVIG infusions or the medication Savella?

If you are interested in IVIG infusions, you should start a new thread (include your specific details, condition, etc.) and there will many people to help you out!!!

You may even want to search for existing threads on IVIG to see what is out there.

HTH

• Anonymous
      May 18, 2010 at 11:04 am

Florencia,

Sorry to hear that the Savella didn’t work out for you. At least you gave it a good try. It is very discouraging that there doesn’t seem to be good pain medicine that is a notch above over the counter, but not so mind and body altering. I am still searching as well…..