New Electronic Foot Drop Device

• Anonymous
      May 27, 2007 at 6:05 pm

I just read an article a few days back on Science Daily about the FDA giving approval to an Electronic Foot Drop device. Its called the Ness L300 so i went to their site Bioness.com and was looking at the info. They have a 3 or 4 minute video and it looked good but…they gave no price so i wonder how expensive it is and i’ll call the number on tuesday for price info.

Its a wireless device that controls the device on the foot by computer wrapped below the knee and looks better than whats out there now as i have really bad Foot Drop on both feet and walk terrible as CIDP has ravaged my ankels so i hope this may be the new technologies that helps us with Cidp, Multiple Sclerosis and Stroke who could benefit.

Anyway just wanted to pass this along as i found it interesting….

• Anonymous
      May 27, 2007 at 8:59 pm

Please post the price when you get it.

• Anonymous
      May 28, 2007 at 8:36 am

Bioness, the company that developed this product has a good website. I have sent them an e-mail and hope to hear from them soon. It is hopefully considered medically necessary, and covered by Medicare and other insurance,

• Anonymous
      May 30, 2007 at 11:29 am

Wondering if anyone got more info on the electronic foot drop device. I NEED it. Thanks

• May 30, 2007 at 1:40 pm

I would love to find something to replace my AFOs.

I checked out a few of the websites and I found this statement…

[QUOTE]This type of stimulation will not work with people who have damage to the lower motor neurons/peripheral nerves.[/QUOTE]

It seems to be ok’ed for those with MS, brain/spinal injury, and cerebal palsy though but not us affected with demylenating of the peripheral nervous system. Maybe in a few years:)

• Anonymous
      May 30, 2007 at 9:17 pm

badmommy: darn, I was hoping this would be a break-through for the dreaded drop foot. I can walk just fine if I am all encased with plastic AFO’s and using a walker. To just walk normally again would be so nice. Guess I will keep taking all the steroid drugs, and cell-cept and keep hoping. Discouraged Grandma–Regina

• May 30, 2007 at 9:53 pm

LOL, Regina! I too was hoping for a breakthru. My AFOs have given me quite a bit of my life back but they are also causing sores, bruises, etc and overall (with the midwest summer coming) HOT!

I know there is a hospital in St. Louis, Barnes-Jewish, that does nerve transplants. Again, it is not available at this time for those with demylenating neuropathy, but I keep my fingers crossed for the future of medicine!

• Anonymous
      May 30, 2007 at 10:36 pm

Hold onto your hats! The price is $5,900. I would need two as I have CIDP, and that would mean $12,000 with travel. Their 800 number has a good customer service department, and they can give you a dealer that is usually a hospital physica therapy department. They will rent you a unit for four months for $500 a month and apply the rent to the purchase price if you decide to keep it

• Anonymous
      May 30, 2007 at 11:45 pm

I had heard of this device awhile back & called my orthotist, but was told right off that this will not work for foot drop caused by GBS. There is a company in England called Dorset that does make silcone braces, however, & I was emailing with a woman from the UK last summer who bought a pair & loved them. I believe her name is Jo Marshall if I remember right. They were like $1500 each & made of fitted rubbery material, but could be very hot in the summer. I am waiting for them to come here. I also tried the Toe-off braces, but had too much pain walking on hard carbon all day.

• Anonymous
      May 31, 2007 at 4:40 pm

Forgot to mention in my response yesterday that customer service stated that Medicare wouldn’t reimburse for the L 300, but possibly some insurance carriers would.

• Anonymous
      May 31, 2007 at 6:17 pm

[QUOTE=jack11309]Forgot to mention in my response yesterday that customer service stated that Medicare wouldn’t reimburse for the L 300, but possibly some insurance carriers would.[/QUOTE]
      Thanks for the follow up info and price ($5,900) Jack.

• Anonymous
      June 4, 2007 at 4:22 pm

had gbs in 2003 now walk with cane and have foot drop ,, was evaluated with this electronic divise and it worked a little but was told that it would not help me anymore than what my own nerves would do ..the company named Hanger fitted me as a trial in a rehab hospital in Hartford ct.