new AFOs

• Anonymous
      June 4, 2009 at 5:53 am

Hello again – it’s been awhile since I’ve written – I managed to get sick then a relapse and then a month of regaining lost ground. I’m picking up speed now on the recovery so I’m finally able to get out of bed and sit at the computer again. I know some of you will remember the last time I got sick I said I’d never do that again but hey… you can’t always control which toddler is going to snot on you right?

For the past year I’ve had one metal AFO attached to my shoe on the right side and one plastic moulded AFO on my left side. The left one is so incredibly painful I just quit wearing them. The constant irritation of it touching my skin… plus my leg swelling beyond the capacity of the AFO – what a disaster that was and they are supposed to be the better ones. SO being the pushy “I want what I want” type of person when I’m sick – we bought a nice pair of Nike running shoes and had them put the METAL AFOs in them. I picked them up yesterday and I can walk without the cane.

Let me repeat that so you all get the big picture – I’ve been bedridden for a month – barely able to walk to my appt to get the AFOs – I put my new spiffy black and silver AFOs tennis shoes on and I walk – by myself – no cane – no help – not banging off walls – up and down the hallway. ๐Ÿ˜€

Just to be sure I put the old ones back on and promptly fell on the floor skinning up my knee which is a lovely shade of purple today. The old fashioned metal ones may seem more obvious but you cannot even see the metal braces unless I’m wearing shorts or a skirt. I think it’s a lot less obvious than hitting the dirt or wobbling and banging into walls. I like the metal ones better and I think I might even be able to drive in them. From a financial perspective they are a better investment as it’s unlikely I will outgrow them and when these shoes get too worn out they can transfer the metal ones to a new pair of shoes and I don’t have to re-buy the whole kit and kaboodle again. They are cheaper than the plastic ones too – not by much they still charge an arm leg for a few pieces of metal – but with decent care they should last me years and can be adjusted if I get better or worse. It’s a better investment in my opinion.

Just an FYI if any of you are struggling with AFOs. The Nike’s are 3/4 height (up to my ankles) – they have a solid heel and big treads for a solid base when planting my foot. You can use any shoe with a solid base and they had some catalogs in the Hangar office showing some really nice dress up shoes that can have AFOs in them. Who would have thought? And sandals too!

Hope everyone has been well – I have a lot of reading to catch up on I see and lots of new people! It’s good to be back among the vertical ya’ll…

Julie ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous
      June 4, 2009 at 6:32 am

Hi Julie! I’ve been thinking about you and was wondering where you have been. So deeply sorry to hear that you have been so sick and do hope you are feeling much better now. I have missed seeing your postings and am glad to see you back!

I am going to have to go to a Podiatrist soon and let them check my feet out. I have a very high arch in my feet and having dead feet especially in my toes and the middle muscles. I can’t even stand in my tippee toes! Put I am putting all my weight on my heels and it’s causing the heels alot of damage and pain. No shoe I have tried works either. If they could fix me an arch that would take pressure off the heels I might would be able to walk better! But don’t know about that one until I give it a shot!

I am so glad to see you in here again! I have been missing your postings. I pray that you soon get to feeling better again! You certainly have been having a hard hard time! Will keep you in my prayers! Hugs
      Linda H

• Anonymous
      June 4, 2009 at 11:04 am

Hi Julie,

You must have known you were in my thoughts and prayers!! I was close to sending out an APB. ๐Ÿ˜€

I’m sorry you were ill. Loved your comment; “which toddler’s is going to snot on you.” Glad I wasn’t eating oatmeal when I read that. ๐Ÿ™‚

That’s great news about your AFO’s.

Take care,

Tina

• Anonymous
      June 4, 2009 at 1:52 pm

hey Julie! Missed you girl! Glad you are up and at ’em again. That is so cool that you have found a shoe and an AFO that gets you walking independently. You go girl!

• Anonymous
      June 5, 2009 at 12:10 pm

Hi Julie,

I’m fairly new here as i started a thread a week or so back about AFO’s and i recieved alot of good info about them but the costs are keeping me from purchasing them until next year when i qualify for Medicare (2 year wait) as i do not work and have no insurance.

My question for you is that since you mentioned the Nike ”high tops” possibly helping you what do you think about if i purchased some 8 inch hunting boots ($165) for my foot drop as both my ankles are paralysed and so everytime i take a step my shoes drop and yet boots are one solid piece so maybe i could walk better with not so much foot drop.

Thanks Julie !!

CIDP Guy

• Anonymous
      June 5, 2009 at 4:52 pm

do it – before I got my AFOs I wore men’s work boots – they were heavy but they helped keep my balance

btw I’m sick again if you don’t see me for awhile ๐Ÿ™