Neuropathy and Ankle Sprain

• Anonymous
      November 1, 2009 at 3:09 pm

First I must say hello to all of you as it has been a while since I posted. I actually found a job this month (first one offered in a year) and it pays a lovely $8 an hour. I still qualify for food stamps which really helps a lot. My family has been helping but it is a strain on them…

But now I have a new dilema – I fell on my ankle yesterday (in my house) and severely sprained it or something. I am putting ice on the ankle part that is hot, but my toes are about to freeze off. Any thoughts on how my numb feet will handle the healing of whatever is wrong with my ankle.

I have been falling lately with my left foot catching and banging up my knees big time. I think this latest event happened after I was sitting and my feet were completely numb – and down I went.

Since I have been unemployed for a year I don’t have insurance. I did find a free clinic that did a female check up for me, but they don’t do emergencies. However, the internist they had me see next said there was nothing he could do for me as the meds I was on were what he would give (amitryptaline). I am having severe feet/ankle swelling and he said anymore diruetics would hurt me. Anyway, I did ask him if I would be a good candidate for social security and he said yes, but that can’t be done through the free clinic. He said when I get a job with insurance to call him and he will send me to a good neuro.

Most of this post is just venting (which I know we are all here for each other), but I am very concerned over my ankle with having neuropathy. Any thoughts???

I have missed you all so very much and don’t have an excuse as to why I have not stayed in touch… my sincere apologies.

• Anonymous
      November 1, 2009 at 6:51 pm

Hi Chrissy: Well, good news always seemed mixed with bad. I am glad you got a job and sorry about your ankle. I don’t know how neuropathy will influence it but I know after GBS I heal from everything more slowly than before. Take your time and heal up and good luck with all. Jeff

• Anonymous
      November 1, 2009 at 8:21 pm

I have fallen & either broken small bones in my feet, or sprained my feet no less than 4 times since coming down with CIDP. I think they healed normally, although I also have severe neuropathy. I hate to mention it, but if your feet catch like that, then you have foot drop, & that means wearing an AFO would alleviate that.

CONGRATS on finding a job, in this economy at unemployment to reach 10% this month (and that does not even include those who have settled for parttime, or have quit looking altogether), that is no easy feat. Also be careful
      not to work too long at a job that is much less then your old one, because when you do apply for disability that could lower your eventual monthly income.

Disability claims were up 25% last year, mostly to people over 55 who lost their jobs finding it easier to get disability from the govt. then to find a job. Wonder if they will start making it harder to get now? I am 56 & finding that a lot of my classmates, ones that I would consider healthy, are now on disability for that very reason. Why wait until age 65 or 66 to draw $2,000 a month from SS when one is able to get it at 55? Kind of a scam in a way…

• November 2, 2009 at 6:32 am

Hi Chrissy,
      Sometimes a sprain can be worse than a break because it take longer to heal and is quite painful. Have you considered a walker or a cane for safety’s sake. It’s easier to fall again once you are nuturing an injury and your balance can be thrown off kilter.
      Before I had been diagnosed with CIDP I fell down 5 times and injured both feet my shins and my knees. In my last fall I came to work with a grocery cart and a cane for support, because my feet were black and blue and swollen as well as quite painful. The next day a co-worker brought in her Mom’s four-wheel walker for me to use instead of the cart and the cane. What a blessing that turned out to be!
      I can walk around easily now in the house or outside on a level sidewalk, but I always take the walker when I am walking around the rough bumpy sidewalks and sloping driveway with rock where I live. My feet and shins are numb and I am afraid of falling down again. I can’t afford another injury and I would rather be safe than sorry.
      My foot drop is improving, but my toes caught on the tread mill a couple of months ago. I was wearing the wrong shoes ( the Croc’s Clogs, )going too fast and my toes caught and dragged me down. I got off with mild injuries which have now healed. Now I wear good walking shoes with orthotics and I can walk heel to toe a lot better. I think I’m the only person who goes into the exercise room with a four-wheel walker, but I wheel to the treadmill and sometimes wheel over to the bicycle.
      I am worried that you really need a good neuro and better medical care than you are getting now. I will pray for your ankle to heal fast and that your neuropathy reverses itself in time.

• Anonymous
      November 2, 2009 at 7:51 am

Chrissy,
      My right foot turned in and dragged the floor when I walked and caused me to fall while we were on vacation. I hurt the top of the foot and the ankle, after six x rays Dr could not determine if it was broken because of the swelling.
      Dr. put a soft brace on it that supported the ankle. Turns out it was not broken. It took weeks for the foot to finally quit swelling and the sprain to heal.
      While wearing the brace I noticed the foot was not turning in so I kept wearing the brace after the sprain healed. Three months later my foot no longer turns in and I don’t need the brace.
      I had a broken ankle in the past, this sprain was more painful and took longer to heal than the broken ankle.
      Congrats on getting a job.
      Good luck
      Shirley

• Anonymous
      November 2, 2009 at 11:39 am

Hello Chrissy,
      I have broken my foot twice and sprained my ankle three or four times. One broken foot I needed a walking caste and the other was a fracture that healed on it’s own. The sprained ankles just healed on their own the way a sprained ankle on anyone heals. I always wear good sturdy ankle high boots from the time I get up in the morning to the time I go to bed at night that I buy at LLBean or LandsEnd and they work as an ankle brace and ankle support because I have weak ankles and without them my ankles would give out and they’d turn sideways. That was weird when I looked down and saw I was trying to stand on the side of my foot. The only time my ankles will turn is when I try to wear fashion shoes or sandals and that’s the only time I’ll stumble.
      I wear my boots rather then risk a fall.

• Anonymous
      November 2, 2009 at 2:59 pm

Thank you all for your replies! It does seem that foot drop is now happening to both feet – remember I am almost 13 years from GBS and nothing is getting better. I have been wearing mule type shoes because my feet swell so much and with those shoes I can slip them off for a bit. My very low paying job is a casual dress job so I can wear almost anything. I guess I had better get back into my walking shoes with no socks so they fit.

Sister brought me a couple of ankle braces and it does seem to help today. She also brought me a cane and I will start using it. How do I unload my groceries at home with a cane? Looks like I’ve got some new learning to do. (I do get to go to the grocery store because of food stamps!)

Pam, I am aware of what you are saying about working too long at a low paying job. If I can make it full time (35 hours), I will be eligible for insurance in a few months and can then find a new neuro – but will lose my food stamps. When I get through working 30 hours week, I usually come home and sleep for 2-3 hours and then go to bed at regular time. I am in quite a pickle of a situation. This low paying job was my first job offer in a year. Credit cards are maxed and they are raising my interest rates because they can.

I think I go through denial a lot and maybe that is why I haven’t been here lately – hoping I would be ‘normal’. NOT.

Again, thank you for your replies! This forum has always been there for me and I shouldn’t forget that 🙂

• November 2, 2009 at 8:46 pm

Unloading groceries? There are two wheel grocery carts and four wheel grocery carts and they fold up so you can keep them in the car. Also I’ve seen my neighbors use a child’s little red wagon.
      I take my four wheel walker to the store and using my own canvas bags I strap them on with bunji cords.
      I’ve seen backpacks with wheels and I’ve even carried stuff home in a back pack.
      The last option would be a mule. LOL
      My prayers and best hopes are with you Chrissy. You seem resourceful and determined and I know your life, health and finances will improve.

• Anonymous
      November 4, 2009 at 7:22 pm

Co-workers made me go to doctor after seeing my ankle and the pretty black colors. Doc put me in this mega boot up to my knee. No broken bones but other stuff is a mess. My doc wants me to go to ortho doc, but I used my last money on this $200 boot so I can’t do that. Ankle does feel better and he was concerned about circulation too. I think I will be okay as I can be for the next 6-8 weeks. Will probably get a new nickname out of this :rolleyes:

Thanks for the great suggestions. I don’t think I could handle a mule very well 😀

• Anonymous
      November 26, 2009 at 9:11 am

Hi All,

Three weeks since I hurt my ankle and I believe I am healing as best as a 52 year old can. I think two more weeks with boot and then maybe some kind of comfy shoe. This fancy boot is a good thing because when my feet/ankle/leg gets numb I don’t fall over. Looking back a bit, I am getting worse with feet and such being numb… Still working 30 hours a week (or less) but it is taking a toll on me. Taking nap when I get home then to bed a few hours later. Praying that somehow I can get disability in the near future.

I’m still not accepting what happened to me 12 (almost 13) years ago. I do wish I could get beyond this stage of grieving and move forward in life in whatever shape I am in. I know I am not alone in this… thank you everyone for being here whenever I need you.