Neurontin+ibuprofen= more pain? wtf

• Anonymous
      August 11, 2006 at 5:35 pm

Am I alone in this? I’ve had lots of knee pain (blown right knee, quasi screwed up left one thanks to this pain making me walk like a penguin) so my doc suggested I take some ibuprofen w/ my neurontin. Well, I’m never doing this again. He also had me double my neurontin intake the same day. The next few hours after that were pretty close to hell for me. The next morning I took my regular dose of Neurontin but took aspirin and felt ok. Not great but ok. That evening I took the ibuprofen and the pain came back.

Yesterday I woke up in tears. I haven’t cried from physical pain in probably 20 years but I couldn’t help it. Something is going wrong w/ my left hip/hamstring. I feel like my hip is out of place and my hammy is torn but I’ve done nothing other than drive a car or sit on a couch for going on 3 months now. Anyway, I digress. Today just to test I took aspirin in the am and ibu in the PM. Guess what. I’m in agony right now but was mostly fine this morning. Tonight I’m getting a ride up to Costco and getting my Vicodin Rx filled. It’s friday and I’m going to enjoy my happy pills and probably the first night w/out too much pain in months.

• Anonymous
      August 12, 2006 at 1:33 am

Hi there,

I’ve asked 3 different pharmasists, if you crush multipul meds up in a bowl, then administer that as a whole, can you or anyone, tell me what side effects are produced? No, on all 3 accounts. If all, individually, make you drowsy, then it’s safe to say that would be a side effect, but what other, or additional side effects produced when mixed as a whole, are unknown. It surprises me the doc doubled up the neurontin, instead of stepping it up a bit more carefully. Throw in something new for the body to react to, along with a huge immediate overdose of neurontin the body is trying to process, and who knows? I don’t like to advocate opiates, and I highly recommend dry out periods while in low dose mode, to keep tolerance in check, but I ended up using vicodin only now, which covers all pain, and even slows down, and in my case, stops muscle twitching too. Solid sleep, muscles quite and resting during the night, and the energy tank is much fuller in the am. Hope you find relief soon.

• Anonymous
      August 12, 2006 at 2:03 pm

Hi Jever!

What is doubling your dose of neurontin? From 400mg a day to 800mg taken 400 in the morning and 400 at night is NOT dangerous, but doubling it by making you go, let’s say, from 1200 mg to 2400mg a day 😮 from one day to the next is madness! Your system has to get used to this drug little by little, over a few days at least!

I have no experience with mixing neuontn and ibuprofen, but I take 50mg paracetamol with two of my four doses of 600mg neurontin a day. In my experience, the paracetamol enhances the benefit of neurontin.

Good luck:)

• Anonymous
      August 12, 2006 at 3:49 pm

Hey Jever, sorry to hear that your having pain issues. I also have previous joint issues (broke both wrists). I take Naproxen/Naprosyn for inflammation type pain, I take 50mg x 2 daily of Tramadol/Ultram for other pain, and I take 200mg x 3 daily of Lyrica for Neuropathy. This combination helps keep the pain under control for me, granted I also have Lupus and RA pain. Tramadol is a narcotic though I will warn you. That cocktail has me feeling the best I have since coming down with this stuff, with Lyrica it doesn’t knock me out like the high dose Neurontin did. Good luck finding a combination to work for you, be persistant with the Dr.’s.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      August 12, 2006 at 10:30 pm

jever, you might try upping the neurontin only at the bedtime dose and try aleve instead of ibu. ibu can cause gastri upset and doubling your neurontin in one day can really do more harm then good. it should be upped slowly, usually begining in the pm and slowly over a few days increasing the daily doses if needed. pain is almost always worse at night. i use 600mg neurontin in the a.m. and early afternoon and 900 at bedtime with diazepam and zanaflex. it knocks me out for at least 4 hours but most nights i sleep about 9 hours. good luck on finding the right combo for you. take care.

• Anonymous
      August 13, 2006 at 3:40 am

I am currently taking 300mg’s of Neurontin 3 times per day. The doc wanted me first to take 600 at night but 300 the other times and move up so I inadvertantly misspoke when I say he doubled it. I ended up being up later than expected when I took 600 and the pain was friggen unbelievable.

Tramadol/Ultram never really did much for me at all. I asked my last doc for that b/c it’s not addictive. I had tried it a couple of times prior and wasn’t happy but at the time I didn’t want to be hauling around a narcotic like vicodin through a bunch of airports.

The doc suggested that I stick to 900mg/day for now. I’ve only been taking it for almost 2 weeks. I really like this doc. He’s young and new at the job so he hasn’t become jaded. He devoted to making me better and is adamant about getting my pain under control so I can get back to work and have some semblance of a regular life again.

• Anonymous
      August 13, 2006 at 9:07 am

HI: It is obvious we all have different reactions to our meds. I have recently gone up to 2700mgs of neurontin from 1800 and I have, for the first time, been pain free. It has seemed like a miracle to me with no great side effects either. I also have pain in my hands which might be arthritis so I take ibuprofen at night with the neurontin and have never had any trouble with the combination. Good luck. Jeff

• Anonymous
      August 14, 2006 at 5:02 am

3200 mgs neurontin and 2 vicodins a day work for me.

P

• Anonymous
      August 15, 2006 at 1:16 am

I’m going in to see my doc on Thursday morning. I’ll definately talk to him about upping the Rx and staging it this time better than I did last time. I’m pretty sure the pain increase was a fluke as I have been incredibly tired this week but haven’t had the time available to actually get some rest.