Need to Vent – Stupid Insurance Company

• Anonymous
      May 12, 2010 at 2:01 pm

I just got officially turned down by Blue Cross Blue Shield. I won’t know until I get a letter in the mail as to why. I just got an email saying NO. WTF???

I now have a good job and they will cover the monthly premium ($500 a month I have to count it as income). There is only 3 of us here – so no group insurance. This is a real sinker to me mentally… I had hopes of at least being able to go to a pain management doctor and to be able to see my regular doc for simple blood work.

I wonder how long it will be before Obama’s legislation about pre-existing conditions will go into effect? I figure its got to be the GBS I put on the form and the current state of peripherial neuropathy. I was not about to try to hide anything on the application.

Thanks, as usual, for listening my forum friends!

• Anonymous
      May 13, 2010 at 3:19 am

If I understand it correctly we begin paying right away, but we don’t see the benefits until three to four years. The bill is vague and leaves a lot of things to be determined later by various government agencies. How fast this gets done…

Of course I’m only guessing. I have had a very had time separating out facts from fiction about this bill/law. Both sides have made contradictory claims. The fact is exactly sure what they did.

• Anonymous
      May 14, 2010 at 1:28 pm

I agree with JimC.

• Anonymous
      May 15, 2010 at 12:27 pm

This sucks…

• Anonymous
      May 16, 2010 at 9:04 am

Chrissy, I am not sure what BC/BS turned you down for, but I can relate. They are refusing to pay for cellcept to treat my CIDP. Currently it is costing me about 40.00 a day.

Nothing else has worked for me, and cellcept is routinely used in such cases or subsequent to prednisone. We (my neuro and I) have cited the relevant literature. However, apparently it is not FDA approved for CIDP yet…only for organ transplants. Well, I guess FDA knows best.

I intend to take it to the third level of appeal. If we don’t advocate for ourselves, who will?

Keep fighting.
      Sharon

• Anonymous
      May 16, 2010 at 9:07 am

Oh, sorry, Chrissy. I reread your post. That DOES suck.
      Sharon

• Anonymous
      May 16, 2010 at 11:41 am

Sharon,

I’m waiting on a letter that is supposed to explain why I was declined. The form said to list everything the past 10 years… my regular doc used to put GBS as my diagnose so I figured I had better not just leave it out. I guess that probably is why they declined. I’m sure the letter won’t really explain much. Now that I have been turned down, I suppose no one else will cover me. Looks like I may need to be a very vocal advocate!

• Anonymous
      May 16, 2010 at 11:17 pm

Chrissy,

As to the government healthcare bill; it will not go into effect until January 2014. Each state, through private insurance companies, will be required to have plans for those people considered high risk. The insurance will be available, but you will pay for it at the going rate. Also, insurance companies will no longer be allowed to deny people because of a pre-existing condition. The thing that most of us have to fear is the cutbacks in research on rare diseases and on the treatment of them. Just because you will no longer be denied insurance does not mean that the insurance you have will cover things like IVIG or certain drugs. The healthcare bill, as passed, calls for the formation of a cost analysis board that will determine the cost to health benefit ratio of different treatments. Since GBS and CIDP are rare and some of the treatments are deemed experimental, I am very concerned about this portion of the law.

I don’t know what state you live in now, but I live in Maryland and have never been denied insurance even though I always put down that I had GBS and have peripheral neuropathy. I am not on a group plan either. You might consider contacting your state insurance regulatory commission.

• Anonymous
      May 19, 2010 at 5:37 pm

Got the letter today from BC/BS and they have denied me because “Guillain-Barre Syndrome with ongoing Amitriptyline treatment.”

This letter refers to me Okahoma’s high risk pool. My sister has coverage there because of polycystic kidneys. Her doc says all us in the family probably has it too. So I’ve never asked to be tested for that. That is probably why my blood pressure is hard to control.

Anyway, this totally pisses me off… but today I am not feeling well. Thought I had flu as I had a 104 fever with [B]extreme[/B] body aches. Finally after tons of tylenol, amoxicillin and cough syrup with good stuff, I am starting to feel a bit better. Cost me $130 with no insurance. So very weak and way off balance (lots more than usual even though I have been falling this past year). I wish the gift of GBS would quit giving so generously.

Now Oklahoma is getting tornadoes again – big time today… maybe more cough syrup and I won’t care.

• Anonymous
      May 31, 2010 at 2:00 pm

So sorry about your insurance or lack there of! It does suck! I am so sorry you have been feeling so bad! And the tornados, no one needs them! I wish I had words of wisdom or comfort, can only say, you are in my heart & in my prayers. We, your forum family, are praying for you. Get well, be safe, & keep on fighting!

• Anonymous
      May 31, 2010 at 2:13 pm

Hey Smitty & All,

Amazing how a few days can change so much… I lost my job last Monday. I can’t help believe that it had something to do with my health and being turned down for insurance. I was also sick 4 days with that crappy respiratory crud – ex-boss said me being off had nothing to do with it. I am so glad I feel better as I was getting scared my system was starting to get out of sorts and autoimmune was kicking in. Memories of that pain 13 years ago seems like yesterday. I still have horrible cough and ears stopped up (2 weeks later). And now back to job hunting…

I told this last boss I had a physical handicap with peripherial neuropathy and he had no idea what that was. The job turned out to be very physically demanding and I could not keep up. I filed for unemployment but had $0 in my account as I was unemployed the majority of 2009. I have friends that keep telling me to file for disability. I just don’t think I am sick enough to get disability – but not well enough to keep up a decent job. Catch 22 time…

Anyway, on to bigger and better things. Knowing I have this family with me brings me some peace of mind. Thank you everyone!!!

• Anonymous
      June 2, 2010 at 4:21 pm

Those darn insurance companys !!!
      It is all politics and they have the government in their hip pockets. Just vote everyone of our government out of office and keep trying until we can get people who will represent the people.

God bless,
      Drummer

• Anonymous
      June 2, 2010 at 9:39 pm

Drummer – Politicians don’t represent the people anymore. They all have sold their souls 3 times over before they get into any meaningful office. Nothing is for the people anymore…it’s for special interest groups. Even with the well meaning politicians – I don’t think they are all crooks but they all want to keep their jobs & the best way to do that is to please people who can give them the most money.

Chrissy – Sorry you are going through all of this. We have BC/BS & have been so blessed that we haven’t had any problems. I’m really very sorry that they turned you down. Do you have any free clinics near you? That way, at least, you won’t have to keep paying so much out of pocket if you get sick again. I had to go to one near me about 10 years ago when I got pneumonia & didn’t have health insurance.

Kelly

• Anonymous
      June 3, 2010 at 7:38 pm

This all sucks even more! So sorry! I have been where you are no job, no ins. no $, physical, mental, emotional, financial crash. $500,000.00 in dept. I survived! I survived! Hope this cheers you up. Hope is eternal. You are in my heart & in my prayers.

Love, & gentle hugs, smitty

• Anonymous
      June 7, 2010 at 9:37 am

Chrissy – you are having a whole lot of “no fun” aren’t you? My hopes, dreams and prayers are with you.

• Anonymous
      June 7, 2010 at 9:16 pm

You all are so very thoughtful and sweet! I had an interview last week and am waiting to hear that hopefully I got the job… they have great benefits and a group insurance I should be able to get into. I’ll update as soon as I know.

Smitty – I do believe and have hope 🙂

• Anonymous
      June 8, 2010 at 4:58 pm

My finger – toes – and eyes are crossed hoping for good luck.

• June 10, 2010 at 10:52 pm

Chrissy, been there … and prayin’ for you girl.

Gary

• Anonymous
      June 11, 2010 at 10:50 am

Good luck Chrissy. You have a fighter spirit. Any employer would be lucky to have you!

• June 11, 2010 at 2:24 pm

Hang in there Chrissy. Jessicah said it all very well. You’re a winner!

• Anonymous
      December 16, 2010 at 12:31 am

Chrissy, or anyone who may know, how does S.S. figure the amount of money a person gets on their disability Social Security check ?

God bless,
      Drummer

• Anonymous
      December 16, 2010 at 1:37 pm

I believe it is based on how much you have earned and paid into FICA. I don’t know how they calculate it. I’ve been getting statements from SS every year for the last 10 years showing how much I would get at 62.5 and it also shows how much for disability. Hope this helps…

• Anonymous
      December 26, 2010 at 3:31 pm

I think they pick the 3 best pay years of the last 10 years and take the average of that and that is how your DSS pay is figured. Well, that is how it was figured years ago. I already have my DSS and way just wondering how it was figured nowaday.