Need Some Help!

• Anonymous
      October 5, 2007 at 2:46 pm

My son is 9 years old and he has CIDP, is there anyone out there that can tell me if there can be problems with the stomach? He has complained about his stomach hurting almost everday for a month or more? I just keeps getting worse.
      Any Help would be greatly appreciated!!!
      Wendy

• Anonymous
      October 5, 2007 at 3:34 pm

Wendy, are his bowels working properly?

• October 5, 2007 at 9:54 pm

Hi Harley,
      My son was nine when he had gbs last year. He had a variety of stomach problems. Constipation was the first, it lasted for about six months, Sept-Feb. He also had a problem with urination the first three months. He would urinate and then he had to urinate again, but only drops would come out, he said it was a tickly feeling.

He also complained of acid reflux from Sept to March quite often. He never had that before. He also had very bad headaches from Sept to March. I do not know if all of the stomach ache issues were from the acid reflux/constipation, or if some were a result of the severe migranes.

If you would like to talk, pm me, I would love to have someone with the same age child to talk about symptoms, residuals, experiences.

Dawn Kevies mom

• Anonymous
      October 5, 2007 at 10:49 pm

Wendy, Dawn just touched on the reason there could be pain and discomfort with regards to the stomach. If the muscles are not strong enough because of the CIDP, one of the things that could happen is that he is unable to push to empty his bowel or for that matter his bladder. As a result everything accumulates and becomes impacted causeing awful pain and discomfort. If this is the case, it is something that needs to be taken care of immediately. This can cause a whole different set of problems if not taken care of.

• Anonymous
      October 9, 2007 at 12:13 pm

Hi Wendy-
      Funny thing, my daughter had GBS in 2005 when she was just 4 1/2. Her first complaint was her tummy hurting. By the time we got to the Dr. she could barely walk and by the time she was admitted to the hospital, she was paralyzed head to toe. It has been 2.5 years and she still complains of her tummy hurting almost daily. We have her on Zantac and that helps. We also give her small meals at least 6 times a day as well as high fiber. I don’t know exactly what the link is to GBS but when the GBS symptoms get worse, so does the tummy….

~Amy Kuncaitis
      Author of “Joy in the Morning”
      [url]www.joyinthemorningbook.com[/url]
      [email]amy@joyinthemorningbook.com[/email]