Need More W/c Repair Technicians

• Anonymous
      April 14, 2010 at 2:33 pm

Is anyone else finding it difficult to get a wheelchair repaired? It is so hard to find ones that accept Medicare. I live in a city of 340,000 but am having to contact a service 100 miles or more away and wait til they can schedule to my area. Anyone looking for a career? They seem to be real scarce and much needed.

• April 25, 2010 at 2:42 am

ya know i never considered such a job. I love fixing things…miss working on my hot rod!! Wonder if a v8 would fit on a w/c? But seriously, I wonder what is involved and how you learn such a thing. Hell I would end up doing it for nothing or really cheap just because that is the type of person I am. Hmmmm….
      now is this an electric w/c or a regular one?

• Anonymous
      April 26, 2010 at 10:44 am

Mine is a power chair. Repair places are 90 miles or more from my city and you have to wait til they service your area. There is a nationwide repair I think named Roadrunner or something like that and even their service is 200 miles from me. I had to use a manuel W/C til I got service which has really done a number on my legs. There used to be one well-known repair service here. This man tried to tell me Medicare would take back my old chair when I got the new one. He knew the value of the old chair as he had gotten it for me and obviously intended to take it. Other W/C users I knew never had to give up their chairs. I called Medicare and the lady said “What would Medicare want with a used W/C?” I immediately caceled the order with him. He no longer has a business here. The information on the Roadrunner website offers schooling I think for repair techs.