nausea residuals anyone?

• Anonymous
      April 20, 2008 at 10:40 pm

Hi. I am post [U]mild [/U]GBS diagnosis 5 months plus now and feeling pretty good, but the nausea returned. Has anyone else experienced nausea associated with the GBS as well? It was my first symptom of illness with the virus and lingered post recovery. It faded for a while then returned. Any ideas?

• Anonymous
      April 21, 2008 at 8:45 am

Sorry to hear you’re having nausea. I have a problem with nausea and it’s very traceable to my neuropathy. It’s affected the small scyilla (sp?) on my intestines and as a result, I get heightened nausea. Never used to get so much as a tummy ache and now I’m pretty much on the edge all the time. Drinking lots of water seems to lessen the symptoms for me. I’m also thinking of getting in and talking to gastro about what I could take to lessen the problems. If I find anything out, I’ll share.

• Anonymous
      April 22, 2008 at 1:32 am

Yes I Know Where Youre Comming From I Also Have An Ongoing Problem With It After About A Year And A Half I Have Not Found Anything That Really Helps So If Anyone Knows Of Something That Will Help Let Me Know.

• Anonymous
      April 22, 2008 at 6:32 am

Hi Fox, Welcome to The Family. Have you tried ginger or lemon water for your nausea?

• Anonymous
      April 22, 2008 at 12:42 pm

Hi and welcome,

I have heard that Raspberry tea helps with nausea. Would be worth a try…

• Anonymous
      April 22, 2008 at 1:49 pm

I had a lot of nausea and appetite loss with the onset of GBS, which persisted until the IVIG started working well enough for my senses of smell, taste, touch, hot/cold, etc. to return (all these senses were lost during acuse phase, and all I could feel was the electric pins & needles nerve pain all over my body). Once the active attack on my nerves stopped, the nausea stopped as well and I was able to eat again. I lost over 20 lbs in just a couple of weeks, though. It was awful.

When I have any type of neuro flare (which is usually associated with a cold, sinus infection, or anything else which kicks up my immune system), nausea is one of the first symptoms I have along with small fiber neuropathy, and I have a hard time eating until the underslying problem is gone, which sometimes lasts for days.

During this time, I don’t try to force myself to eat because I usually will throw up if I do. But I do drink a lot of water and drink those Ensure beverages to keep my nutrition up when it’s hard for me to eat. I do still lose weight, but believe me, it comes back fast once my symptoms go away and my appetite returns. For me, I’ve learned that the nausea and appetite loss will pass eventually, so I just try to stick it out and am careful not to let myself starve or get too malnourished.

If it were to last more than, say, two weeks, though, I would absolutely call my neurologist and see if I could be seen. My neuro gave me phenergan to take for my nausea, but it didn’t really help me very much. I would just throw up the pill soon after taking it. However, I do appreciate that he is aware of the problem and wants me to keep his nurse posted of my status when these things happen.

I do have an autonomic nervous system disorder (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome) that was heavily exacerbated by GBS, so I’m unsure if the nausea and appetite loss I experience is the result of GBS residuals or POTS, as POTS sufferers frequently report these things as part of flare-ups of their condition. It could be a mixture of both for me, I don’t know.

But I do tend to find that these things come and go. I hope the return of your nausea is only temporary. regardless, though, please do let your neurologist know if you haven’t done so already. S/he needs to be aware of any symptoms you are having, especially if it’s something that hasn’t been a problem since the acute phase.

Good luck to you!

• Anonymous
      April 23, 2008 at 1:08 am

After 13+ years, if I don’t give myself proper care, ie: get over-tired, the nausea returns. And how I dislike that 😮 I drink a “Yogi” tea called Stomach Ease which does help.

• Anonymous
      April 23, 2008 at 8:55 pm

Thank you for your replies. I feel better just knowing I’m not alone in this. I hadn’t seen much comment about it and wondered if I was just “out-there” thinking it was related. Thank you for the suggestions of tea. So far it hasn’t been so bad I’ve vomitted (except during IVIG), thank heavens. The one thing that may have helped some is a liquid multi with trace minerals and lower iron levels (Trace Minerals Research.) They also helped with the fatigue! I haven’t talked to the neuro since I wasn’t sure it was related. I think I’ll call her though.