National Benefit Authority (Canada)

• Anonymous
      July 30, 2010 at 7:34 pm

Has anyone heard of this organization?

They help disabled people get money they are entitled to.

I called them today, they charge a $25 fee and then take 30% of what you get.

Sounds interesting…

I’ll let you know more as I go through the process.

Rhonda from Canada

• July 31, 2010 at 8:19 am

Is therenot a way that we can find this out ourselves and not pay a service? Are these tax-credits you are going after?

• Anonymous
      July 31, 2010 at 1:07 pm

I am not sure what they offer, I am waiting for paperwork to be mailed to me.

I put it out there to see if anyone else has used their services and knows any more info.

It will be interesting!

• Anonymous
      August 1, 2010 at 11:48 am

[QUOTE=Rhonda]
      They help disabled people get money they are entitled to.
      … they charge a $25 fee and then take 30% of what you get.
      [/QUOTE]

They take 30% of the money you are entitled to from a government program?

And you’re thinking about this seriously? It has SCAM written all over it. A 30% fee is what US lawyers charge to take court cases on a contingency basis — these depend on convincing juries you’ve been wronged by the other party in a lawsuit. It’s outrageous that someone would take advantage of your naivete to bill you the same rate to get benefits you are entitled to by law! And lawyers don’t have the 99% success rate that “NBA” claims.

If you’re having difficulty getting government benefits, contact your local MP’s office and have them do the same work for “free.” That’s what they are there for: to help constituents navigate the morass of government. (You might also check with your MPP’s office since healthcare is a provincial program.)

And then tell them about the scammers, who are trying to rip off disabled people. That ought to be worth an investigation. Or go to the local media: they love to do exposes of these kinds.

• Anonymous
      August 1, 2010 at 6:37 pm

Rhonda, I would have to agree with OLAV on this. $25 and then 30% of what you get? What if the monthly take is $300 for the next 200 months?
      That would figure almost $100 a month or $20000 for 200 months. Something very wrong with that.

• Anonymous
      August 1, 2010 at 6:38 pm

Rhonda, I would have to agree with OLAV on this. $25 and then 30% of what you get? What if the monthly take is $300 for the next 200 months?
      That would figure almost $100 a month or $20000 for 200 months. Something very wrong with that. Might do with a little more thought.

• Anonymous
      August 1, 2010 at 7:05 pm

Thanks for all the posts…

I was wondering what it is all about and hoping that someone else has heard of them and what they are up to.

I wanted to find out what kind of things they think they can get me.

Anyone else from Canada heard of them?

I’ll make some calls on Tuesday(Monday is a holiday in BC)

Thanks again, that’s why I love this site..always help honest people!

Stay tuned,

Rhonda from Canada

• Anonymous
      August 1, 2010 at 10:57 pm

Hey Rhonda this is a scam!!! Why pay for someone to do something your mla will do for free!! I looked into this too. Recently I was approved for the disability tax credit dating back til 2001. Have filled out all the necessary paper work to make the adjustments. I am told I will be getting alot of money back.. but of course it is taking a while to get here!!

• Anonymous
      August 1, 2010 at 11:31 pm

Hi Rhonda,
      I have been googling about this group. Sounds legit. Basically they do all the paper work for you to get the disability tax credit–which I gather most people almost never qualify for. Here is a pretty good blog where it is discussed:
      [url]http://www.thecomputermechanics.com/forums/showthread.php?42362-National-Benefit-Authority[/url]

Laurel

• Anonymous
      August 2, 2010 at 11:22 am

Sonia and Laurel,

Thanks for the new info. I already qualify and get the disability tax credit!

Great news Sonia about disability tax credit.

More info for you…after you get your disability tax credit you can apply for a fuel tax credit, this gives you 14.5 cents off every litre of fuel you put in your vehicle to a maximum of $500 per year. They will go back up to 4 years![url]http://www.sbr.gov.bc.ca/documents_library/bulletins/mft_004.pdf[/url]

After you get that you can apply to ICBC to get a 25% reduction off of your basic car insurance, [url]http://www.icbc.com/insurance/insura_savemo_disabl.asp[/url]

Also fishng licences are only $1.00 in B.C. if you are disabled.

I don’t think I’ll fill in the paperwork for National Benefit people. I think I found all the info with help from all of you.

Thanks,

Rhonda from Canada

• Anonymous
      August 2, 2010 at 11:31 am

Rhonda,
      I have a question on two about the disability tax credit. I have had MS for 25 years or so, and I have been on LTD for ages. Hubby has CIDP and had to retire due to the CIDP. Everything I read about the tax disability credit seems to indicate that a person has to be basically bed ridden and getting total care to receive the tax credit. When I read about it, it seemed that almost impossible to fit the criteria. Yet I have a friend’s husband who had a stroke at 43 and has right sided impairment–yet he does most things and he gets the tax credit. What is your perspective on applying? I honestly have never asked my neurologist about it just because of what I read.
      Thanks.
      Laurel

• Anonymous
      August 2, 2010 at 4:53 pm

Laurel.

I would suggest that you apply for both you and hubby. You didn’t ask for your disability and if your quality of life is affected then you owe it to yourself to apply. All they can say is No. Don’t give up if they so no the first time! I suggest you check out this info and then chat with your doctor,the paperwork is not hard at all.

Check out this site and send me a private message if I can help.

[url]http://www.bccpd.bc.ca/docs/hs14.pdf[/url]

The Disability Tax Credit (DTC)
      To qualify for the DTC you must have a physical or mental impairment that is both severe and prolonged. Prolonged means that your impairment must be expected to last a continuous period of at least 12 months. Severe means that you are:
      – blind,
      or you are markedly restricted in any of the following activities of daily living:
      – walking
      – speaking
      – hearing
      – dressing
      – feeding
      – elimination (bowel or bladder functions)
      – mental functions necessary for everyday life
      or be significantly restricted in two or more activities of daily living (e.g., dressing, speaking, feeding, walking, mental functions necessary for everyday life, etc.)
      or you need, and must dedicate a certain amount of time specifically for, life-sustaining therapy.

• Anonymous
      August 2, 2010 at 8:20 pm

Thanks Rhonda. I’ll send you a private email later today or in the morning.
      Laurel