Myelin Sheath Support

• Anonymous
      January 26, 2008 at 12:38 am

is there such medicine out there? does it work?
      Sorry I am new here and have many questions

• Anonymous
      January 26, 2008 at 7:47 am

Sluggo, never apologize for questions. That is what this forum is all about.
      My understanding is that there isn’t a medicine, ie presciption for myelin sheath support, however your dr. may suggest something for prevention of further damage. Supplements and vitamens are sometimes used for helping the body protect the myelin sheath. It’s always best to ask your neuro’s opinion on anything before you add it to your daily regimen.

• January 26, 2008 at 2:34 pm
    • Anonymous
      January 26, 2008 at 7:45 pm

I’m skeptical! When you read the product description it says “supports the myelin sheath surrounding certain nerve tissues”. Notice the words “certain nerve tissues”. There’s nothing bad about the ingredients in and of themselves. And anything a person can do to support health in the body is good. Just start with a good, clean diet/lifestyle and you’ll be ahead of the game! (that’s my personal take on it)

• Anonymous
      January 28, 2008 at 7:10 am

My father is a chemist who worked in the Vitamin industry for his entire career. He swears that Vitamin E will help myelin sheath regeneration/protection and suggests a water-soluable form that is now available in many places over the internet. I am unable to take it because I am on other blood thinners and of course everyone should consult their physician before taking any new medications, including vitamins and natural remedies… I have a friend who nearly bled to death because he started taking Vitamin E while also taking another blood thinner – I had no idea Vitamin E had blood thinning effects so just be careful and ask before taking.

Good luck!

• Anonymous
      January 28, 2008 at 10:41 am

My wife is a whole foods vitamin nut. One of her papers has that taking b6 b12, frlic acid, and thiamine(b1) are important to the structural integrity of the fats found in the myelin. Alpa lipoic acid is an approved treatment for polyneuropathies in Germany. Supposebly that one of alpha lipoic acids positive actions is its ability to stimulate the regeneration of nerve fibers. Another nutient is acetyl l-carnitine.
      I dont know about this stuff . I just copied some papers of my wifes.
      Ron

• Anonymous
      January 28, 2008 at 1:24 pm

B12 is known to be good for the health of nerves. B12 plays a vital role in the metabolism of fatty acids essential for the maintainence of myelin. Prolonged B12 deficiency can lead to nerve degeneration and neurological damage. B12 deficiency can result from Coeliac disease (gluten allergy causing malabsorption in the intestines) or pernicious anemia (low intrinsic factor) and may manifest itself as a neuropathy. Apparently, you cannot have too much B12 because the body will simply release the excess. For this reason, I take a B12 pill each day in the hope that it will help and knowing that it can’t do any harm.
      Sorry but I cannot comment on other myelin remedies.
      Andrew

• Anonymous
      January 29, 2008 at 10:51 am

Friends:

I had always heard that time is the only healer of myelin. My neurologist said that B vitamins are helpful if taken in moderation and you should have a diet slightly higher in fat helps during the first few months after onset. Anyone that claims a product will restore myelin is being untruthful and shouldn’t be trusted.

Lee

• January 29, 2008 at 4:21 pm

my belive is that the body needs to repair it selfs, with healthy food and exercise to get the blood flow to the muscules that are not very activat. For me bananas and nuts is somthing that makes me feel good, I have read studies that indicate that those two thing help nerves to repair it selfs. I dont know if this is true but Im nuts in eating this thing and I want the banans to be more green then it is less sugar in theim.