Myasthenia Gravis

• Anonymous
      December 28, 2009 at 10:20 am

Good Morning Everyone,

I have not posted much but check the forums every week or so for updates. I have been on the boards for almost three years, amazingly enough. Hard to believe where the time goes. I had to see a new neuro about a year ago, and had been treated for CIDP with IVIG for some time. She suggested PE, and I did that for about 25 or 30 treatments. I had the same results I had with the IVIG, a couple of days of improvement, walking was better, strength was better, and then it went away. The entire time we have avoided Prednisone because of the side effects. I took Cellcept for many months, but nothing seemed to hold me. I was having some success, but not a long period of success and sometimes only an hour or so which really baffled everyone. My nerve conduction tests have been interpreted back and forth as having some issues, not having issues, etc. I don’t know all of the terminology but it intrigued my neuro. She doubted the CIDP, but couldn’t figure it out. My pattern of onset was very much an ascending, rapidly over 3 weeks, type of weakness and paralysis, I had numbness and changes in skin sensation and it progressed over a period of months. I also had elevated protein in my lumbar puncture. A couple of months ago, my neuro called me and asked if I had ever taken Mestinon. I told her no, and she said she had seen someone walk in her office and realized they walk just like I do. I have such an issue in my limb girdle, which is basically where your thigh meets your torso. It feels like I am pulling my legs through quicksand. So I waddle as I swing each leg forward. Plus the arm weakness, swallowing issues, etc. She asked me to try the Mestinon, but I also had had IVIG, which I have been fortunate to continue through all of this. I wasn’t sure if I had improvement. However, once the IVIG wore off, I woke up one morning and knew my walking was bad and thought this will be a good time to test the medication. I took a pill and in 30 minutes I could walk. And then it wore off and everything was heavy again. I took another pill and it improved, but then went away. If you look on the Internet, there is an old video called the mary walker effect. THAT WAS ME! No strength, unable to do stuff, etc. and with the pill, I could walk, do some cleaning, etc. I had a final test, a single fiber EMG just last week and Merry Christmas to me! I have Myasthenia Gravis. It was the ONLY test out of thousands of dollars of testing and lab work that showed a definite diagnosis. And Mestinon usually only works for MG. I now take two of the Mestinon pills every two hours to stay moving. I also take Immuran, and may get Rituxin in January to see if I can get some stabilization and consistent improvement. Right now, it is still measured in hours:) A lot of the treatment is the same as CIDP, which is interesting. We don’t know if I started off with GBS and it converted to MG which is at the neuromuscular junction, but I feel very blessed after all of this time to be able to have a somewhat normal gait. If I walk slow, you can hardly tell that I have a problem!! I will never be back to normal, but just being able to walk sort of normal is fine with me. So, why the heck do I tell all of you this? So that you don’t give up!! I reluctantly lost a little of myself with every passing month. I had/have a mobility scooter to go out, hardly leave the house, muscles atrophy, can’t work, etc. I accepted what happened and realized it could have always been worse. And I still believe that. But it always nagged at me if I improved for a little bit, and I even went back to the doctors office in the couple of hour window just so they could see I wasn’t making it up, why couldn’t I stay improved? So don’t give up, and for those of you with an iffy diagnosis, please don’t give up. There are so many different diseases, and manifestations, you never know! And if I ever hear “I’ve never seen that before” or “that’s not in the textbook” again, I will be perfectly happy:) I’ll still check back here time and again, as I have learned a lot over the past couple of years. My nursing knowledge is expanded, far more than I ever intended! Happy New Year to everyone! Gabrielle

• December 28, 2009 at 1:44 pm

Awesome news Gabrielle!!!!
      DAwn Kevies mom

• Anonymous
      December 28, 2009 at 3:05 pm

wow that is interesting. I was actually looking around on the internet for a case like yours. my doctor says It might be MG but it “might” be alot of things. I found an abstract about a case were a man had GBS and then had it again along with MG so I wondered if it was possible for gbs to turn into MG. Is it a painful disease? I here its not but I also here that cidp and ms are not either and we know thats not true. anyway I am happy for you and thanks for posting the news.

• Anonymous
      December 28, 2009 at 5:04 pm

Hi Gabrielle,
      I am so glad you are feeling a lot better. I have CIDP and during my first attack (several years ago) it was thought that I had MG – and I was given mestinon to try – but when my antibody test for MG came back negative I was taken off it. I must say though, after taking the medication I noticed I had more strength and was able to feed myself or have a shower but the strength only lasted for about half an hour and then the dreaded weakness returned.
      I hope you continue to improve!

Kazza

• Anonymous
      December 29, 2009 at 9:36 am

Actually I thought of you when all of this transpired since you were about the only one on this website who got IVIG more frequent than I did. My antibody test came back negative too. Also a MuSK antibody was negative. Nothing showed up in the blood work, except atypical white cells and inflamation. A percentage of people test negative for all of the known antibodies for MG, but still have it. The single fiber is very specific for MG, also ALS but I don’t have that. I will tell you that when I first took the Mestinon, the feeling of improvement was short lived. Actually after about an hour I felt “worse”. Very heavy again, floppy in the neck, etc. I was concerned that it wasn’t working, or that it was making me worse. In fact, that is how I feel all of the time without the medication. I didn’t realize how bad I was until I was good if that makes sense. I started with 60 mg three times a day and now take 120 mg every two hours. That seems to hold me pretty good. I don’t know if it would be worth asking for either the SF EMG, or another trial of Mestinon and see if it helps. You can take something like 25 pills day, so my two every two hours is within reason. However most people take just a few pills a day. If you had improvement, ince Mestinon mostly only works for MG, it might be worth pursuing. Gabrielle

[QUOTE=Kazza]Hi Gabrielle,
      I am so glad you are feeling a lot better. I have CIDP and during my first attack (several years ago) it was thought that I had MG – and I was given mestinon to try – but when my antibody test for MG came back negative I was taken off it. I must say though, after taking the medication I noticed I had more strength and was able to feed myself or have a shower but the strength only lasted for about half an hour and then the dreaded weakness returned.
      I hope you continue to improve!

Kazza[/QUOTE]

• Anonymous
      December 29, 2009 at 9:40 am

The disease itself is not painful, but my muscles ache all of the time. Mainly in my upper arms and thighs. Before I was taking any medicine, meaning IVIG or Mestinon, it was fairly intense. If I didn’t do any activity, I was fine. It is a very fascinating disease, in that it improves with the Mestinon. I can go from a scooter to walking within 30 minutes. In fact, just to get the SF EMG, you have to not take the pills for a day or so. Well I could barely get in the doctors office, and was able to walk out nearly normal. Everyone probably thought I had some miracle treatment inside:)

[QUOTE=tara74]wow that is interesting. I was actually looking around on the internet for a case like yours. my doctor says It might be MG but it “might” be alot of things. I found an abstract about a case were a man had GBS and then had it again along with MG so I wondered if it was possible for gbs to turn into MG. Is it a painful disease? I here its not but I also here that cidp and ms are not either and we know thats not true. anyway I am happy for you and thanks for posting the news.[/QUOTE]

• Anonymous
      December 30, 2009 at 2:49 am

Thank you for the advice Gabrielle. I know that I fit the diagnostic criteria (and have been diagnosed as such) for CIDP but as my cranial nerves are just as badly affected as my legs and arms, I’ll mention this again to my Neuro. I still can’t look upwards for too long (even after all these years after my first attack) or I’ll develop ptosis.
      I noted that you have sensory symptoms with your MG – Is that common? Are your reflexes affected? Mine are absent.

Kazza

• Anonymous
      December 30, 2009 at 2:53 pm

No, the sensory aspects are not common, if at all, with MG. I still have one large area on my lower right leg and one on my left foot that “feels funny”. And I don’t have ankle reflexes either, but the rest are intact. So, for those reasons she is thinking it may be GBS converting to MG. As I got worse, I/we assumed it was CIDP progressing, but in fact it may have been MG. I don’t have ptosis that is obvious, but I can tell, now that it has been pointed out, that I don’t really have much facial expression. I was unable to hold my eyebrow up for the length of the SF EMG, and since I don’t do that too frequently:), I guess I would never know. It might be worth asking about next time you visit. There really are a lot of common things with the two, but if you have definite evidence of demyelination on your nerve conductions, it may just be CIDP alone. There should not be any nerve conduction problems in MG, which is why my case was puzzling. Good luck to you, you are still my marathon inspiration:)

[QUOTE=Kazza]Thank you for the advice Gabrielle. I know that I fit the diagnostic criteria (and have been diagnosed as such) for CIDP but as my cranial nerves are just as badly affected as my legs and arms, I’ll mention this again to my Neuro. I still can’t look upwards for too long (even after all these years after my first attack) or I’ll develop ptosis.
      I noted that you have sensory symptoms with your MG – Is that common? Are your reflexes affected? Mine are absent.

Kazza[/QUOTE]

• Anonymous
      December 30, 2009 at 4:11 pm

my weakness comes and goes so quikly and lately I have had no sensory symptoms accept pain. its like the muscle on the inside of my leg is numb but my skin is not. I go not just day by day or hour by hour but minute by minute with my level of weakness. you said that your weakness leaves shortly after you take your meds I find that interesting. I would think that if I had CIDP, it would take longer to heal going from shuffling my legs one hour to walking normal the next. I started out with a very suspicious bout of GBS. I was paralyzed in hours and the PE wiped it out in days two weeks after onset I walked out of the hospital like nothing happened. back then I had sensory symptoms and an emg that was consistant with GBS but now I have no EMG findings. who knows there is so much going on its hard to sort out.

• Anonymous
      December 31, 2009 at 5:09 am

Good luck to you too Gabrielle 🙂
      I actually tried holding my eyebrows up just before – it is quite a hard thing for me to do and really tiring! Yes, it’s something that I wasn’t aware that I found difficult either. I know that after my first attack I couldn’t smile for weeks – those muscles wouldn’t work properly. I can smile now though – it just gets a bit lopsided if I am tired.

Kazza

• Anonymous
      December 31, 2009 at 10:54 am

You are correct in stating that it would be strange to walk normal with CIPD one hour and not be able to walk normal the hour before. That was a big question all along with me, and I figured it was an inflammation thing, that after I had the IVIG, it decreased some of the inflammation. In fact, you can’t remyelinate that quickly, within an hour, if that makes sense. Recovering from GBS can be a long process, as you know, and some of the folks on this site have lingering effects, small or large, that last for a while. I found, with time, it is easier to focus on other things in my life, rather than what I can’t do, or have a hard time doing. It can always be worse and there is always someone in worse shape. Good luck to you, and maybe keeping a log of how you feel would help you with your physician. Happy New Year too:)

[QUOTE=tara74]my weakness comes and goes so quikly and lately I have had no sensory symptoms accept pain. its like the muscle on the inside of my leg is numb but my skin is not. I go not just day by day or hour by hour but minute by minute with my level of weakness. you said that your weakness leaves shortly after you take your meds I find that interesting. I would think that if I had CIDP, it would take longer to heal going from shuffling my legs one hour to walking normal the next. I started out with a very suspicious bout of GBS. I was paralyzed in hours and the PE wiped it out in days two weeks after onset I walked out of the hospital like nothing happened. back then I had sensory symptoms and an emg that was consistant with GBS but now I have no EMG findings. who knows there is so much going on its hard to sort out.[/QUOTE]

• Anonymous
      December 31, 2009 at 10:57 am

The usual onset of MG is with the face. Although there are variants of GBS/CIDP that present that way too, as well as a myriad of other diseases! I didn’t present with facial that I knew of, just primary arm and leg weakness. Not common to present that way, but it does happen, and makes a diagnosis a little more difficult. Funny I have a crooked smile too. I don’t know it unless I look at a picture and then realize “why is my lip dropped down”. The good thing is I won’t need Botox for my eyebrows or wrinkles!!! I would ask your neuro, just run it by them to see if it is worth a SF EMG. It is not an expensive test, just hard to find someone who is skilled at doing it. Or he may say no, he is certain of your diagnosis. Happy New Year, which I see already passed in your neck of the woods!

[QUOTE=Kazza]Good luck to you too Gabrielle 🙂
      I actually tried holding my eyebrows up just before – it is quite a hard thing for me to do and really tiring! Yes, it’s something that I wasn’t aware that I found difficult either. I know that after my first attack I couldn’t smile for weeks – those muscles wouldn’t work properly. I can smile now though – it just gets a bit lopsided if I am tired.

Kazza[/QUOTE]