My story(long)

• Anonymous
      August 19, 2009 at 5:13 pm

Hi im 22 yrs old i got gbs and spinal menegitis at the same time when i was 14 yrs old all the doc’s said i was soppose to die or somehting but it never crossed my mind. i went through all the works plasma pherisis and trach and was in the hospital for 3 months. then i was sent home and home bound for the next 2 yrs i was in a wheelchair for about 3 yrs and did physical therapy i met like 4 other people with gbs but never seen any as bad as me at the rehab. ive went through it all lil depression things n stuff but always kept my head up i dont give up easy im jus glad i am alive i dont let people or myself feel sorry for me i just think what will whining accomnplish either i can sit here and feel sorry for myself or do something and better myself. ive even fallen in therapy and cracked a bone in my leg and tried to suck it up haha at the time it hurt but now i look back and laugh thinking how can a person in a wheelchair break their leg. ive read a few other people saying they have had problems with feeling or pain, me i have had no problems i feel everything but have some problems with my fingers and ankles still but im working on them every other day to strengthen them up. (i wanna be a bodybuilder one day). back to the sotry i wa sin bed for my first like 9months to a year then a wheelchair for the next 2 yrs then slowly toa walker with foot drop n those afo’s(still use em but a different kind) thena cain and finally past 3 yrs using nothing but would fall once in awhile because i had a problem with depression n drinking alot of alcohol for awhile but finally starting believeing in god and got willpower to do stuff. i had it in my mind it was just me and didnt believe in god because i prayed and felt he never answered them so i decided i owuldnt ask him and prove i could do it bymyself but i was wrong i believe he has been helping me out so much lately and blessed me ive always had a smile on my face both through good and bad times i just wished i would have had more determination at pt as i do now im not sure exactly how far i am from normal im guesstimating around 80% but im never gonna quit until i am at my closest i try and do weights 3-5 a week and jog 2-4 miles a week and “try” and eat healthy because just last year i used to weigh around 120lbs and now i weigh 155-160 im a fatter but i have added some muscle to its all in healthy eating because i feel i dont burn as much calories as a regular person. but anyways now i am enrolled in school(going for Bachelors in Accounting hopefully done in 3 yrs) moved out on my own with my best friend as a roommate and have gone through a great relationship with an ex girlfriend i believe girls have been my greatest motavation for bettering myself i will talk about that later. but this is just a rough dragft i guess mixed up parts and miss spelled alot sorry about that if you have any questions just ask and would be glad to asnwer them. thanks

• August 19, 2009 at 5:26 pm

Nice to meet you. How great that you are so strong!! Good luck in school. My son was 10 when he was struck with cidp and is now 12. good luck!
      Dawn Kevies mom

• Anonymous
      September 11, 2009 at 3:17 pm

WOW… hi there. My, your post is not at all long (trust me because I am long winded).

Can you tell me more about what it is like living with GBS issues?

Side note: Try to break paragraphs like the one above into at least two parts… it would be easier for me to read and follow… no worry about grammar or spelling, just set it so it is easier to read, OK ?? 🙂

• Anonymous
      September 11, 2009 at 11:37 pm

Hi L22 Welcome to The Family!! Love Your Attitude!! Keep it up!! Only you can limit what you can do!! 😀

• Anonymous
      October 5, 2009 at 7:41 pm

[QUOTE=Rocker]WOW… hi there. My, your post is not at all long (trust me because I am long winded).

Can you tell me more about what it is like living with GBS issues?

Side note: Try to break paragraphs like the one above into at least two parts… it would be easier for me to read and follow… no worry about grammar or spelling, just set it so it is easier to read, OK ?? :)[/QUOTE]

Living with GBS issues? umm the only thing i can think of is when people would stare when i walked funny, but that is changing quite fast this past year my hands have gotten stronger and so have my legs too, people really dont notice now and everyone around me said, how surprised they are to see me walking alot faster and doing much more things.
      o yea my fingers though i get somewhat embarassed/uncomfortable because they don’t open all the way yet but im determined to get that fixed by next chirstmas i hope. other then that nothing is really an issue but if you woulda asked me that last year i could have went on and on. if you got any more questions i’ll answer them when i get chance.