My sons story

• Anonymous
      April 23, 2007 at 3:53 pm

I thought I would tell you my son story. He joined the national guards last Aug. I wasn’t happy but new that’s what he believe in and he is 20 so nothing I could do. Six weeks into training he came down with a cold, then about a week later he started complaining that his hands and feet were tingling. His drill officers at first told him to just stretch more. He would call home telling me that allot of the kids thought he was making it up and he wasn’t. It kept going on till he called home saying he couldn’t even get out of the chair they took him to the hospital in Lawton Ok. Thank God they took him off post and got a doctor that thought he had gbs. He called home and told he about it. Which I had now clue what has going on but they where going to do a spinal tap. It was the hardest thing know I couldn’t be with him. He was 1300 miles away.[We live in ND] The army was really good about trying to help but they really didn’t know what to tell me. My son said they offered him a medical discharge but he wanted to stay in. Anyway 2 weeks in the hospital and 2 monthes of rehab on the post. He went back into basic and finished. Any now he is in Missouri training to be a heavy a equipment operator. With him getting the gbs has made him a stronger person and he says he can get through anything now.

My sons story

• Anonymous
      April 23, 2007 at 3:48 pm

I thought I would tell you my son story. He joined the national guards last Aug. I wasn’t happy but new that’s what he believe in and he is 20 so nothing I could do. Six weeks into training he came down with a cold, then about a week later he started complaining that his hands and feet were tingling. His drill officers at first told him to just stretch more. He would call home telling me that allot of the kids thought he was making it up and he wasn’t. It kept going on till he called home saying he couldn’t even get out of the chair they took him to the hospital in Lawton Ok. Thank God they took him off post and got a doctor that thought he had gbs. He called home and told he about it. Which I had now clue what has going on but they where going to do a spinal tap. It was the hardest thing knowing I couldn’t be with him. He was 1300 miles away.[We live in ND] The army was really good about trying to help but they really didn’t know what to tell me. My son said they offered him a medical discharge but he wanted to stay in. Anyway 2 weeks in the hospital and 2 monthes of rehab on the post. He went back into basic and finished. Any now he is in Missouri training to be a heavy aequipment operator. With him getting the gbs has made him a stronger person and he says he can get through anything now.

• Anonymous
      April 23, 2007 at 3:52 pm

Hello Ann,

Very wonderful story with a great ending. I don’t want him to be paranoid, but please caution him to take it easy. Even years down the road, he could find himself with residuals that mystify him. Thank you for sharing!

• Anonymous
      April 23, 2007 at 4:59 pm

It sounds like they diagnosed and treated him early. That is so critical.
      The faster they know what is wrong, the faster they can stop any further damage.
      I wish it was easy to do though. Not in very many cases.
      Trudy, natesmom

• Anonymous
      April 23, 2007 at 7:44 pm

That’s an inspirational story. It sounds like your son is a really strong, tough person, to insist on returning to training after such a debilitating condition! I think having gotten through GBS makes all of his subsequent victories that much more impressive!

• Anonymous
      April 24, 2007 at 11:31 am

Thanks for the replies.

• Anonymous
      April 25, 2007 at 10:05 am

Tell your son that he is very lucky. My husband is still paralyzed from head to toe after nearly 11 months. He was a very healthy farmer when this started in June.

• Anonymous
      April 25, 2007 at 10:28 am

Yes I will. I didn’t realize how lucky he has till I have been here. I will pray that your husband will do better.

• Anonymous
      May 1, 2007 at 9:05 pm

Ann,

I am so glad to hear that your son has recovered so well. There are several things that your son needs to know regarding his GBS and the military.

First your son needs to be particularly careful of [B]All[B]future vaccinations. Currently in the military the Anthrax Vaccine is mandatory for deployment to most areas outside of the US. The FDA has issued a double sided brochure that explains the everything they think you need to know about the vaccine. In this brochure it specifially states that individuals who have had GBS are NOT to receive the Anthrax Vaccination. Your son cannot rely on future medical personnel to know this or to know that he has had GBS. He must be ever alert to telling everyone he comes in contact with in the military medical system that he has had GBS.

The army gave my son, not 1 but 2 Anthrax Vaccinations. The Army failed to take a medical history before the vaccinations and failed to give him the specific information he needed in order to be aware that he should not get that vaccine. My son now has serious heart problems and we are fighting the Army on his discharge.

If you or your son ever needs further information on this issue please feel free to contact me directly. As a veteran myself, I have become a full time advocated for my son and am willing to pass along any info I have.

Cathy