My pediatrician thinks Dell should get flu shot

    • Anonymous
      November 18, 2006 at 10:37 pm

      I know I am beating a dead horse but I have a question.

      What is the bad thing everyone is worried about happening to them if they already have CIDP then they get the flu shot? Dell is 2-1/2 and takes IVIG.

      His pediatrician, not the neurologist says we could loose Dell if he got the flu. He’s not a real strong child.

      Thanks for any input. Lori

    • Anonymous
      November 18, 2006 at 11:50 pm

      Hello Lori,
      I know that the flu shot caused my CIDP to be very severe because I was in the very early stages of the syndrome (I wasn’t diagnosed yet, I didn’t know what I had). I DO NOT KNOW IF THE FLU SHOT CAUSED MY CIDP. I choose NOT to have the flu shot anymore because I just don’t know what it will do to me. It’s the “unknown”, that’s why I don’t get it. And except for this syndrome, my family doctor agrees with me that I am a healthy person. I don’t even remember when the last time was that I was sick or had a cold.

      I hope that you are also going to ask Dell’s neurologist what his/her opinion is. I was at the symposium and several of the doctor’s on “ask the experts” panel agreed that the flu shot is safe. Cindy (CIDPkid) was there, maybe she will reply and give her opinion. I had a very good neurologist and he was my only doctor who said it was better to get the flu shot then have full blown flu.

      You and your family are going to have to decide what is best for Dell.

    • Anonymous
      November 19, 2006 at 2:27 am

      I think the Neuro. would be the one to ask Lori to be on the safe side.


    • Anonymous
      November 19, 2006 at 3:32 am

      I totally agree with Jerimy. I don’t get Abby one because she is getting the IVIG therefore I think it is kind of like what they say for vaccinations, you wait 6 months following last dose of IVIG to get a vaccination. She never gets sick either and is pretty healthy except the CIDP. Each case is different.

    • Anonymous
      November 19, 2006 at 11:10 am


      I totally agree with everyone on this matter, but this is a personal choice for you and you alone to make. So speak to the Neuro and weigh the options before you make the choice to vaccinate or not to vaccinate.

    • Anonymous
      November 21, 2006 at 5:38 pm

      Hi Lori,

      It’s my understanding that a person can’t get a vaccine until they’ve been off of the IVIG for 6 months.

      I believe that Emi’s flu shot & 5 year (given at 4 years old) vaccines exacerbated her condition & made it much worse. She was in the VERY early stages of the disease & we did not know that anything was wrong. But after she got both sets of shots her symptoms got much worse. After the flu shot that is when her right eye became paralyzed.

      My personal opinion is that Dell isn’t in school. He doesn’t go to daycare. He’s not out & about all the time being in “germy” places, so his chances of getting the flu are slim. If you feel more comfortable get the rest of the family the flu shot & not Dell. Make sure that everyone removes their shoes upon entering your home & make everyone wash their hands religiously. I’m no longer a big believer of the flu shot & I’ll never have one again. I’ve done a bit of research on them & I just don’t think they are necessary. That’s just my VERY personal opinion though & what works for me. I don’t have any problems with others getting them though.

      Anything new with Dell?

      Emi’s tests are tomorrow. The nurse called me yesterday & informed me that they want to try to do them without sedating her first. Yeah…not gonna happen. There is NO way that she’ll lay on the MRI table for an hour & not move without being sedated and I know she won’t be still for the spinal tap.