My One Year Anniversary is Tonight

• Anonymous
      April 4, 2008 at 1:25 pm

As I sit here getting my IVIG, in a couple of hours is when I went to the ER thinking I was catching my stroke so early, not knowing what else would be going on. The good news is this round of IVIG is doing wonders so far, unlike the last round two weeks ago. Who can ever imagine how long a year is when you are watching for every sign of improvement and change each and every day?

As a side note, I am being interviewed by my newspaper today for an article on biking and my recovery. I have a recumbant bike and it is the only activity that I can do and go fast:) Well faster than a turtle. Some days I still daisy pick! But, it has allowed me to lose 10 pounds of weight that I put on right after I got sick. Took a long time to figure out something that would work and my motto has been to never ever give up. Everyone, no matter what level of wellness, can do some type of actiivity. And I believe it has been instrumental in allowing me to keep walking today.

So for am newbies or lurkers, life does go on. Frustrating and depressing at times, and grateful most other times. Have a good weekend and thank you to everyone who has given me sanity this past year!

• April 4, 2008 at 2:25 pm

Hi Gabrielle,
      It is so great to read about how great things are going for you. Yesterday was 18 months for Kevin. Have a nice weekend yourself as well.
      Dawn

• Anonymous
      April 4, 2008 at 6:50 pm

Congratulations Gabrielle on your spirit to find an activity and keep going with it. You’ve convinced me to get up tomorrow morning and go for a run to salute your achievement (a slow run!!). Spring is here and the good weather is coming so we can all get out out and find an activity we enjoy to keep active.
      Last week, as I travelled through various airports I never once used the moving sidewalks. I figure that as long as I can walk, I am going to enjoy it!!
      Keep up the good work
      Andrew

• Anonymous
      April 4, 2008 at 6:55 pm

Way to go Gabrielle. Hang in there. Each year gets easier. I am approaching my “Silver Anniversary” (25 years) and I am not sure if I just got used to things the way they were (I am sure I did!) but life has gone on and it has been great. Stay active, stay well!

• Anonymous
      April 4, 2008 at 8:26 pm

Aw Andrew, you make me envious of you running! So take a few steps for me:) Everytime I see you can do that I am amazed! I’ll just say I was very determined to not turn into sludge, and even the days that are really slow, are better than not doing anything….Good luck tomorrow:)

Janet, 25 years??? Geez, that’s a long time. But yes you are right. I was very self concious in the beginning, was sure everyone was staring, hated using a cane, etc. I am much more comfortable with who I am and more confident, and that has made a difference in my attitude. Take care!

• Anonymous
      April 4, 2008 at 11:14 pm

Whoops! I should have said 25 years with GBS and residuals, not CIDP. Forgot which thread I was on but regardless, there are residuals that I learned to live with even though it was GBS. I recovered remarkably, but there are very few days where I don’t think about what my body has been through and the issues it has lead to.

I am truly amazed at all you and others go through and yet I still hear the strength and desire to get well in your words. Keep believing in yourself and the hope for a cure.

• Anonymous
      April 5, 2008 at 1:05 am

Congratulations on living through the last year with grace and strength pf spirit. We all hope that this next year will be easier and that the IV IGG works well each time!
      WithHope for cure of these diseases.

• Anonymous
      April 5, 2008 at 4:37 pm

Well Gabrielle, I did it. It wasn’t pretty and it wasn’t early in the morning, but it was nonetheless wonderful. I ran 5 km for you in the spring sunshine with the snow banks melting along the sides of the road and the first robin chirping away on one of the sideroads. Hopefully I don’t get too stiff from it in the coming days because I’d like to keep up a bit of running. The Rituxan seems to be working because it felt like I had some energy.
      I hope you were able to get in a nice bicycle ride too.
      Keep up the good work and thanks again for your inspiration.
      Andrew

• Anonymous
      April 5, 2008 at 6:33 pm

Well Andrew, I thought about you today when I rode my bike!! But your run sounds like it went great! Remember I am watching both you, Norb and Dell on this Rituxan and saw you posted you feel a little more energy! I am hoping and praying that it works for you. And remember, if you haven’t used some muscles in full for a while, you might feel sore or used. Thanks for the run too, I smiled reading your post:) Take care…