My neuroligist finally faxed my referral

• Anonymous
      August 12, 2008 at 8:27 am

Yesterday the nurse from my neurologist office called and they finally faxed my referral in to Duke. I was a bit upset about that one! They told me 3 weeks ago about me going to Duke and am just getting around to faxing everything to Duke as of yesterday! Well I did not say anything and was nice about it and thanked them for doing the referral.
      She gave me a number to call, so I did to see about how soon they could get me in. When I called they knew nothing about it! So they tell me that they might have gotten transfered to a different department and might have the information there. Which would be the Neuro Department. The MDA/ALS Clinic. Called them and they know nothing.
      So I called my nurse’s answering machine again trying to find out whom they talked with and where they actually sent the referral. Will await her call today if she decides to call me. His nurse sometimes goes days without calling.
      The person at Duke I talked with said that if they did not Fax the referral to the correct place it might get lost in that hospital not getting to the correct channel and I may not get seen because of it. So today will be phone day trying to figure out where the referral got sent too and seeing about the scheduling appt.
      I am still feeling lousy! Did get some sleep last night. 4 hours to wake up and stayed up for two hours and then went back to sleep.
      Maybe sometime today I will post a picture of my little bottle feeding baby I have been caring for! But that will have to be in another posting!
      Have a nice day everybody!
      Linda H

• Anonymous
      August 12, 2008 at 11:29 am

Make sure you get the fax number for the place your referral needs to go to. Then you can give it to the nurse yourself. That way she won’t have any excuses.

If she doesn’t call you today then you need to keep calling her. Call in the morning & leave a message & then call towards the end of the day. Do that every single day until she returns your calls.

When you do speak with her tell her it is vital that she send the referral ASAP because you’ve spoken with the people at Duke & they are keeping an eye out for your paperwork.

You might even want to call the person back at Duke & ask them if it would be faster if the nurse addressed your info to someone specific.

I’ve played the dr & nurse games…it’s best to be persistent but nice.

Good luck,
      Kelly

• Anonymous
      August 12, 2008 at 1:29 pm

Well! Duke can’t find any referrals anywhere in that place. They have searched their computers and there is nothing. So I called my nurse again and left a Fax number for her to call and hopefully they will do something today. If I hear nothing by Wednesday. ER it will be but going to Duke!
      How in the heck could they loose a referral or not recieve it? Unless my Neuro’s nurse did something wrong faxing it! But I called the Referral Service and there is nothing. Totally nothing. They gave me the number to the Neuro Sciences Building and they have nothng. MDA/ALS Clinic has nothing. All of their calls that come in with referrals are documented and the last time they got a call from this Doctor was September 2007. :confused:
      Now I’m lost! Duke said they also have a Raleigh office also and it might be there instead. But I’m just going to wait and see if my neuro’s nurse calls and refixes everything. What a bummer! 🙁
      Got my hopes up and was so excited about finally getting into Duke and maybe getting treatment finally and have been let down. Even started crying to the lady at Duke while talking with her. You know! This stuff not only takes a toll on your body but it certainly takes a toll on your nerves as well. They finally called in another RX for me though and husband will pick it up. I hope this one works. Buspar! Lyrica, Cymbalta and Effexor did nothing but had bad side effects. Pray that Buspar works! I need some relief and need it bad!
      Well! I guess I will just have to be patient and play the waiting game again! Arff arff arff