My mantra: There’s always a way to do everything.

• Anonymous
      August 23, 2006 at 6:37 pm

[FONT=Georgia][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkorchid]There is a success story still in the making…my own.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia][SIZE=3][COLOR=#9932cc]Funny how you use mind cues to remember events in your life; before GBS, after GBS. I put my ‘before GBS’ into perspective, as I would never have it again. Just the way it was. No walking, no 5K’s, no more training to run the Twin Cities Marathon when I turned 50. No driving as I had. Not being able to work again. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
      [FONT=Georgia][SIZE=3][COLOR=#9932cc]’After GBS’ consisted of building my strength after I left the hospital, battle the ever-present GBS fatigue, trying to give my life some semblance of normalcy. The first year post-GBS went by, then another year, another… divorce, changing residences, breast cancer, ADL’s… where does the time go?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia][SIZE=3][COLOR=#9932cc]Physical therapy began twice a week in late April for me this year, as I requested. My strength had returned from my mastectomy in May 2005 & I was ready to see what I could do. My right leg would bend at the knee and my toe go to the tip but my hip/upper thigh was not strong enough to lift my leg to take a step. Been able to do that for about four years now. Why wasn’t I able to swing my leg forward at the hip? There’s always a way to everything.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia][SIZE=3][COLOR=#9932cc]My pt’s were told what I wanted to achieve. I wanted to be able to go from sit-to-stand, preferably by myself, and to take a few ‘good’ steps. Not many. I would be happy with 5 or 6 steps, just enough to get me from my wheelchair to the kitchen chair. To stand & do a few dishes. Stand & transfer to a car. Use the toilet. Oh, JOY![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia][SIZE=3][COLOR=#9932cc]PT started at the parallel bars. Assistance with sit-to-stand diminished to 10% effort. Gotta get my forward motion going good. But, to move my right leg forward? There’s always a way to do everything.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia][SIZE=3][COLOR=#9932cc]As weeks advanced, I moved from parallel bars to a walker with an arm extension for my ‘bad’ right arm to rest. Walkers are flimsy little things. But then, you probably all know this. Sit-to-stand’s need a bit more assistance. First one is always a bit sloppy. I need to ‘find my groove’, after all. Now what about taking a step with my right leg? There’s always a way to do everything.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia][SIZE=3][COLOR=#9932cc]On July 10th, we found a way to do my ‘everything’.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkorchid]My PT taped the tip of my right shoe with white tape. I did my sit-to-stand at my walker, as usual, with about 15% assistance, shifted to my left hip and … slid my right toe forward on the tile about two inches. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia][SIZE=3][COLOR=#9932cc]Needless to say, my pt & the assist yelled. I just whispered, “Did you see this? Did you see this?”. I think I was in awe. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia][SIZE=3][COLOR=#9932cc]My weight shifted to my right leg, taking great care of my right ankle as that foot ‘supanates’ when traumatized. And taking a step had traumatized the poor thing big time.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia][SIZE=3][COLOR=#9932cc]There is so much more to tell, but I am exhausted & will stop now and edit/add to this later. It just hit me the newcomers have no clue what my GBS history is. Duh, Me! I should have started with my ‘medical history’.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia][SIZE=3][COLOR=#9932cc]I do want to take this time to give credit to the person, and you know who you are, who is my GBS inspiration. This persons’ drive & integrity, wisdom & knack of simplifying ANY situation has helped so many GBS/CIDPers, old timers & newcomers alike. I was encouraged to write ‘my success story’ because, this person said, people ‘need to hear your story’. To this person, my heartfelt “Thank You!” You were/are MY inspiration.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

• Anonymous
      August 24, 2006 at 1:20 pm

Thats awsome and what I am begining to call “GBS thinking”. After getting GBS that seems to be the story of my life and so many others… theres always a way to do everything. You sure hit that one on the head.

• Anonymous
      August 24, 2006 at 2:53 pm

I’m very proud of you, Debi. Well done!

Love,
      Marge

• Anonymous
      August 24, 2006 at 7:36 pm

[QUOTE=doby48]Thats awsome and what I am begining to call “GBS thinking”. After getting GBS that seems to be the story of my life and so many others… theres always a way to do everything. You sure hit that one on the head.[/QUOTE]
      [COLOR=darkorchid]Thanks, Doby! ‘GBS thinking’ says it all, too. Interesting, isn’t it, how a different part of the brain kicks into gear. And luckily, just when we need it, for some of us, like moi’! Take care & keep on ‘keeping on’![/COLOR]

• Anonymous
      August 24, 2006 at 7:56 pm

[QUOTE=marguerite]I’m very proud of you, Debi. Well done!

Love,
      Marge[/QUOTE]
      [COLOR=darkorchid]Thank you, M! I knew you would be proud of me! Thanks, too, for all your support over the years! :-)))[/COLOR]
      [COLOR=#9932cc]Love,[/COLOR]
      [COLOR=#9932cc]Debi[/COLOR]

• Anonymous
      August 25, 2006 at 6:44 pm

[FONT=Georgia][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkorchid]OK, a bit of my GBS history…[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
      [FONT=Georgia][SIZE=3][COLOR=#9932cc][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
      [FONT=Georgia][SIZE=3][COLOR=#9932cc]Onset: June 22, 2000[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
      [FONT=Georgia][SIZE=3][COLOR=#9932cc]Very fast onset. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
      [FONT=Georgia][SIZE=3][COLOR=#9932cc]From start of symptoms to total paralysis, 6-hrs. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
      [FONT=Georgia][SIZE=3][COLOR=#9932cc]Diagnosed within 8-hrs. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
      [FONT=Georgia][SIZE=3][COLOR=#9932cc]Paralysis, tip of toes to chin. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
      [FONT=Georgia][SIZE=3][COLOR=#9932cc]Intubated & trached the first night. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
      [FONT=Georgia][SIZE=3][COLOR=#9932cc]Weaned off vent after 3-wks. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
      [FONT=Georgia][SIZE=3][COLOR=#9932cc]Trach pulled after 4.5-wks. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
      [FONT=Georgia][SIZE=3][COLOR=#9932cc]First of 15 plasmaphereses within 12-hrs. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
      [FONT=Georgia][SIZE=3][COLOR=#9932cc]ICU, 3-wks. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
      [FONT=Georgia][SIZE=3][COLOR=#9932cc]Skilled Unit of the same hospital, 3-months, plus 1-wk. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
      [FONT=Georgia][SIZE=3][COLOR=#9932cc]Rehab Unit of the same hospital, 1-month. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
      [FONT=Georgia][SIZE=3][COLOR=#9932cc]At approx. week 10, blood clot was discovered between C3-4 in my spinal cord. (Blood clot possibly initiated during a plasmapheresis treatment.) Note: Precautions had been taken to prevent clots. Heparin, coumadin, vinyl wrap on legs, hip to toes, to keep blood circulating in legs, etc. were used. Unfortunately, blood clots are the ‘luck of the draw’ for GBSers. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
      [FONT=Georgia][SIZE=3][COLOR=#9932cc]Became wheelchair-bound after week-10 to date, still paralyzed on right side of body, arm & leg, with extreme tone in both.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkorchid]Thanks, All, for reading my success story in-the-making. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

• Anonymous
      August 26, 2006 at 8:08 pm

Debi,

Thank you for posting your successes for the newcomers. They will be inspired by your GBS story then and now and even more successes for you.

Hugs

• Anonymous
      August 27, 2006 at 10:31 am

[FONT=Georgia][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkorchid]Bringing this to the top for others to read…[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

• Anonymous
      August 27, 2006 at 4:59 pm

You sure have come a long way Deb, definetely an inspiration.

Jer

• Anonymous
      August 29, 2006 at 3:30 pm

Hey Debi,

Great job and well done. Keep at it, your an inspiration to all of us.