my LP results

• Anonymous
      February 19, 2010 at 6:42 am

hi

I got the results of my LP but not sure what they mean. The protein is slightly raised, at 90 and should be 45 max

Can anyone shed any light?

thanks

RBC NCS
      WBC 1
      Glucose 3.7
      protein 0.90

Microscopy

Two cystospin show proteinaceous and celluar debris, very few viable cells are present and these are mainly lymphocytes and some monocytes an occasional neutrophil is present.

No malignant cells are seen

Two further cytospin preparations made from all fluid concentration show a similar picture. no maligant cells seen

CSF – no significant abnormality. no malignant cells seen

• Anonymous
      February 19, 2010 at 10:42 am

Emily was diagnosed with GBS (later CIDP) with an elevated protein level of 90 & inflammation on her brain & spinal MRI’s. She did not have an EMG/NCV done at that time.

I did some Googling & apparently the labs are different in UK than in the US. Here are the UK normal CSF values: (sorry about the size)

[B]CSF appearance[/B]
      [B]CSF protein[/B]

[B]CSF glucose[/B]

[B]CSF cell count[/B]

[B]CSF Gram stain[/B]

[B]Additional features[/B] [B]Normal[/B]

Clear and colourless
      0.2-0.4 g/l
      (neonate <1.7 g/l)

60-80% of plasma glucose

Low WCC
      (higher in neonates)

No organisms

Opening pressure
      10-20 cm H2O
      I found it at this website:
      [url]http://www.patient.co.uk/doctor/Cerebrospinal-Fluid.htm[/url]

So yeah, your protein is definetly high at slightly over double what the high normal is. It shows something is definetly going on. Have you had a brain &/or spinal MRI with & without contrast?

I think that should be your next step.

Kelly

• Anonymous
      February 19, 2010 at 10:53 am

[QUOTE=Emily’s_mom]Emily was diagnosed with GBS (later CIDP) with an elevated protein level of 90 & inflammation on her brain & spinal MRI’s. She did not have an EMG/NCV done at that time.

I did some Googling & apparently the labs are different in UK than in the US. Here are the UK normal CSF values: (sorry about the size)

[B]CSF appearance[/B]
      [B]CSF protein[/B]

[B]CSF glucose[/B]

[B]CSF cell count[/B]

[B]CSF Gram stain[/B]

[B]Additional features[/B] [B]Normal[/B]

Clear and colourless
      0.2-0.4 g/l
      (neonate <1.7 g/l)

60-80% of plasma glucose

Low WCC
      (higher in neonates)

No organisms

Opening pressure
      10-20 cm H2O
      I found it at this website:
      [url]http://www.patient.co.uk/doctor/Cerebrospinal-Fluid.htm[/url]

So yeah, your protein is definetly high at slightly over double what the high normal is. It shows something is definetly going on. Have you had a brain &/or spinal MRI with & without contrast?

I think that should be your next step.

Kelly[/QUOTE]
      Thanks I had spine MRI which showed nothing but not brain MRI..

I found that site myself. But now I am more concerned about the haemablobinuria which I think may be the underlying cause.

• Anonymous
      February 19, 2010 at 10:59 am

Oh wow! That chart didn’t show up at ALL like it was supposed to. Sorry about that.

Have you read this website:
      [url]http://www.clinlabnavigator.com/Tests/ParoxysmalNocturnalHemoglobinuria.html[/url]

It’s too much dr’s speak for me today but maybe you will understand it. LOL.

I Googled “hemoglobinuria & high spinal fluid protein”. Maybe you will find some answers by doing that.

Whatever happens, I really do hope you get a diagnosis soon.

Kelly

• February 19, 2010 at 12:31 pm

Hi John.
      Well the results at the very least will make the docs take notice to concrete results. When you say the other condition may be the underlyuing cause of the cidp, that is how I feel w/ my son. i think another underlying cause is the reason for your second condition. After so much reading, abstract after abstract, doc after doc, the stomach is the central cause of all of these stupid issues. I hope these docs can figure things out for you, us everyone!

• Anonymous
      February 19, 2010 at 12:45 pm

we end up doing the drs job 🙂

• February 19, 2010 at 1:26 pm

Think we can ask for a discount?

• Anonymous
      February 19, 2010 at 7:27 pm

No Dawn,

You have to pay more for being a difficult PITA patient, who expects Dr do actually do what they are paid to do 🙂

• Anonymous
      February 20, 2010 at 5:50 pm

My LP results were 56 and helped guide towards a diagnosis. I would think that 90 would confirm a diagnosis. Some people have much higher numbers.

Bottom line, if you are above the 45 threshold, it means the CIDP is “active” and some treatment should be happening because damage is definitely happening.

Good Luck

• February 20, 2010 at 6:02 pm

John,

I agree with Dick S., I have hope now that these results will get you a definitive diagnosis and treated quickly.

After you’ve recovered, then it’s off to warm tropical beaches …

Gary

• Anonymous
      February 20, 2010 at 6:33 pm

[QUOTE=GaryO Houston]John,

I agree with Dick S., I have hope now that these results will get you a definitive diagnosis and treated quickly.

Gary[/QUOTE]
      Thanks Gary

But there is still no demylelination apparently.

• Anonymous
      February 20, 2010 at 7:17 pm

[QUOTE=GaryO Houston]John,

Gary[/QUOTE]
      Thanks gary

But its not demyelinating, so its odd. I got other symptoms like the dark urine so it may be something completely different from CIDP. Haematologist is the 7th consultant I will now see.