My long journey

    • Anonymous
      October 18, 2009 at 9:58 pm

      I woke up Apr 10,2008 my legs and hands were tingling, and I had no balance. I went to the ER and was told right away I had GBS. They didn’t have a neurologist, so two days later I transferred to Scott & White in Temple,Tx. I convinced my wife to go rest in a hotel, since she hadn’t slept in 2 days. Five hours later i was intubated and have no memory of the next 6 weeks. While I was out, they collapsed my right lung trying to insert a central line, got double pneumonia, a traech, a feeding tube, MRSA in my rt lung, and a stage IV decubitus in my lower back. My parents flew in from La, and they told me all that happened while I was sedated. Once a dr was talking about how he didn’t expect me to make it to my family, and I must of heard him because I didn’t shut my eyes for 35 hours. I couldn’t speak or move, but would blink my eyes to answer. First thing I remember, I was in Austin at a neuro rehab center begging for ice chips. With the help of PT I started to regain a little movement in my legs. Not bad only 7 weeks, starting to return. Small problem.
      My decubitus. I was placed on Dilaudid for pain. Mid-July i had flap surgery to close my wound, and after that was forbidden to move for 6 weeks. during this time i lost ALL that i had gained in my legs. I also got MRSA in the flap, and even better i got multi drug resistant pseudomonas in my tailbone. Could it get any worse? Well yeah, at some point i started losing blood, my bp dropped to 80/40. I rec’d 12 units PRBC over next few weeks.

      ok need a break. To be continued……….

    • Anonymous
      October 31, 2009 at 12:18 pm

      You have had a tough time, Kyle! Hang in there!

    • Anonymous
      October 31, 2009 at 2:43 pm

      I had to look up the definition of decubitus to find out it is a medical term for bedsore. I also had one above the tailbone. I had to be turned every 2 hrs. Three wound doctors examined it and determined the type of medication and dressing to treat it. It took four months for it to heal. Although I did not need surgery I can sympathize with the pain you must have gone through with it.
      Please come back and give us an update of how you are doing now.
      Take care