My husband has GBS since Dec. 8,2005

• Anonymous
      March 30, 2007 at 4:03 pm

I posted here back when my husband first came down with GBS. Lately life has been unbearable. Richie was lucky in the sense that his GBS only affected his lower extremities. But that was where our luck ended. He recieved 3 or 4 IVIG treatments, then he developed kidney stones. Then they found a problem with his heart. We were told that all these problems happen because he doesn’t move around like he used to. They stopped his IVIG treatments last summer. We have a small home improvement company. Since he got sick we ‘ve had so many financial problems that the stress alone is making him more sick. Customers are suing us. Cars are not getting paid. We can’t pay our mortgage. Things are getting worst by the day. Richie and I wish we could run away from it all.
      My husband says that the GBS is going away. Every day he get into his pick-up and goes out to try a make ends meet. He goes to theraphy, but the improvement is so slow. He still depends on his wheelchair most of the time but does use a walker. He has lost his balance, and his strenght is not what it was.
      I guess I’m venting. I need to know that he’s going to get better.
      Diana

• Anonymous
      March 30, 2007 at 9:02 pm

Diana,
      You came to the right place to vent!!! GBS is so devastating to its victims [I]and[/I] their families! It sounds trite to say, “take one day at a time,” but it is so true and a day [B]can[/B] make a difference in how we feel! You said he is making slow improvement at therapy. That is GOOD!!

Hang in there!!!!

Leanne

• Anonymous
      March 30, 2007 at 10:29 pm

Hi Diana,

Welcome to the forums.

The saying around here is GBS stands for “Get Better Slowly”, it’s the only way. Hubby does need to take it one day at a time. Little improvements are actually big improvements for someone with GBS.

Many of us have struggled with finances too. The stress can make him worse and believe me I know, as all of us do ,how stressful this time of yours is.

Therapy is going to make a difference for him, he will not get muscle atrophy.

Stay with us and ask any questions, someone will always answer you.

Take care

• Anonymous
      March 30, 2007 at 11:01 pm

I can’t imagine trying to get better & worrying about finances. I know that my husband prides himself on being able to provide for his family. I can’t imagine how hard it is for your husband right now.

Is there anyway that you all can apply for some kind of state aid? I know it’s a difficult step to take but it would take off some of the financial stress.

Just remind your husband that he WILL get better. It’s just going to take time. I know it feels like it’s going to take forever right now though. But if you wake up every morning & tell yourself that you are only going to deal with today & are not going to worry about what tomorrow will bring, it will help. TRUST me on that one. That’s how I’ve made it this far into my daughter’s illness and I think I’ve done a good job.

Everyone here knows exactly what you & your husband are going through. You are NOT alone in this. OK? We’re here if you need us.

Take care.
      Kelly

• Anonymous
      March 31, 2007 at 9:59 am

Thank you for your replys. I know that things will get better. But I’m just so fustrated right now.
      Diana