My first bad fall

• Anonymous
      September 12, 2007 at 10:17 pm

Tonite at my moms…after she broke down crying…as most of you know she is suffering lung cancer and I am a caretaker with my sisters…I fell.
      I was walking down the hall to her bedroom and my big numb dead toe caught the carpet as usual but this time I went down.All the way to my face. My foot bent all the way the wrong way and what is numb hurts like heck. I went to the local midwest minor medical….my hands hurt, my back, my foot, my TOE….the xrays show nothing broken. Thank goodness ! My toe bends so weird now…from the damage I guess…ug.

The fly by night MD didnt know exactly about CIDP but asked me why in the world dont I wear an AFO. yeah, why. PRIDE
      I’d been doing better but lately declining and had an appt with nuero but had to reschedule. I talked to him and he told me to try to have adequate rest before our appt. Yeah, right. He did say if there is anything he could do with my mom let him know and to give her my best. He’s such a sweet thing.

Anyway…I go to him Tues. Yes, I’ll ask about an AFO. I know it’s time for something. Maybe just an elastic brace. I dunno. But, I constantly stub my big toe….next time I may not be so lucky.

My day started at 430a…it’s 930p now and I’m going to shower and get things ready for tomorrow.

I guess I am posting this b/c I have now entered the acceptance phase.
      Some of you know I had a serious issue with denial and self pity.
      Time to step up…or maybe that’s a bad way to put it…:cool:
      but, I need help. I need assistance and I ‘m going to pursue it. I dont want to fall like that anywhere ever again.

thank you all for being here for me.

Stacey

• Anonymous
      September 12, 2007 at 10:43 pm

I have taken 4 bad falls since I began walking again the summer of 2004. That doesn’t even count the one where I was thrown off of my snowmobile in the winter of 2005 & broke my collarbone. It also doesn’t count the numerous falls I have taken in my house where I wasn’t hurt at all.

The first fall I was practicing marching in place at my walker way too soon; my knees were too weak & gave out, resulting in 2 broken bones in my foot. The second time I was walking up the few steps to my deck & led with the wrong leg, again down I went & broke 2 bones in my foot again. The 3rd time I tried walking to the bathroom at night without my AFOs, & tripped over my big toe; I broke my big toe & the one next to it. This past July I fell from sheer exhaustion & sprained my foot & ankle, laying me up for a month.

I have learned that I usually fall when I am overly tired, or trying to overdo it. My husband is tired of bringing me to the ER & clinic; afraid of being arrested. If you have any foot drop, please get AFOs; they really do make a difference. And try really hard to get more rest, you were lucky this time. I know what you are going through, but no matter what, you need to take care of yourself physically or you will be a burden yourself.

• Anonymous
      September 12, 2007 at 11:07 pm

Stacey

Please, please, please, get a script for the AFO’s…you seriously need them,
      not some elastic band, but the hard plastic ones, fitted by an orthodic pro.

I was in denial in the beginning, as well, then you give in. You have to just
      accept that you have a disability and not worry what others think.

The AFO’s will definitely prevent you from tripping on your toes…just try to
      keep positive. Remember, the next fall could break your hips and keep you
      in bed for months…that won’t help anyone. Nor will hip surgery. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

It is time for the AFO’s…pants will cover them if you are worried that they
      are weird…but trust us…you definitely need them.

Good luck

Miami Girl

• Anonymous
      September 13, 2007 at 8:07 am

I know that many of you have taken many falls and bad ones at that. I have fallen before…tripped it was I call it. I trip almost every day over my big toe but I dont usually go down. I have fallen to the floor but usually just to the knee. Last night it was a mess. My mom got up as fast as she could b/c i just layed there crying. One b/c I was hurt, two b/c I was ashamed. She was so sick herself and felt so bad for me b/c she couldnt help…that made me feel worse.

I know I am lucky. Even as bad and complicated as my personal life has become, I know I am lucky and I thank God for the goodness in my life.

When you get an AFO, what is the process ? I seem to remember that someone said go to a podiatrist. Does insurance cover it ?
      I guess it doesnt matter…I need at least one to prevent like Miami girl said…a broken hip and being a burden to others.

My husband and sweet little son were laying in bed last night…cant get that child to sleep at a decent time….and I said, “will you guys still love me if I have to wear a leg brace?” My husband said of course and Connor shook his head yes…he doesnt know what I was talking about. But, I told him, maybe mommy is going to get “magic shoes” so that my legs can work right. He grinned and thought that was neat.

My husband is wonderfully supportive. Without him, I dont know how I’d make it thru all of this.

thank you for your advice…fill me in on the particulars of getting the AFO’s if you can.

I am realllllllllllllllllllllly sore today, but at work…and I am wearing a wrap for support. It seems to help for now. Even my fingers hurt from where they bent backwards.

I’m a mess. :rolleyes:

good day everyone.

Stacey

• September 13, 2007 at 10:49 am

Stacey,

My heart is breaking for you. I hope the AFO’S help! I’m so glad that you have come to the acceptance phase as you so said. I am going to pray that things improve for you!
      Love Dawn

• Anonymous
      September 13, 2007 at 11:20 am

Stacey,
      I’m glad you’re OK. Like you and others said, it could have been worse. I understand the denial. It took me a year-and-a-half of relapsing/remitting symptoms and gradual progression to finally seek a diagnosis and get treatment. When it was really bad, my husband bought me a cane — an ugly black 4-footed one. I never used it. Probably stupid on my part. I did, however, finally give in and get a raised toilet seat after getting “stuck” way too many times and having to crawl out of the bathroom to the couch to get myself up. Not a pretty picture! ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

Get the AFOs and talk to your neuro about IVIG again. It sounds like the stresses you’re under — illness (yours and your mom’s), way too long days, preparing a new home — is taking a major toll on you. I know everyone keeps saying this and you can’t see how, but you need to take it easy.

I don’t know your financial situation, but if you can swing it, you are entitled to (unpaid) time off from work under the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA). Under FMLA, you can take up to 12 weeks off, usually unpaid, and be guaranteed that your job will be there when you’re ready to come back to work. It’s the same thing people apply for when they have babies, but it also covers time to care for your self or a family member in cases of serious illness. Even a couple of weeks might make a difference — give you a chance to rest and regain some strength.

My best wishes are with you and your family,
      Caryn

PS. Kids are amazingly adaptable. Mine was 9 when all this started for me, and he became a great help. I’m sure Connor will notice the “neat” AFOs at first and then lose interest and take them for granted, like kids do with most things! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous
      September 13, 2007 at 12:11 pm

Stacey, I’m truly sorry to hear about your fall, hope you get better soon. On the other hand, here’s Carol comment when I read it to her: “I’m sure glad you’re not the only one who falls.” I did have some very bad falls earlier this year but not because of my drop foot. One of them almost cost me my life because the huge hemorrhage in my brain went unnoticed for more than a week.

So far I just refuse to think about an AFO. Maybe you can call that denial. Carol would call it being my old stubborn self. But around the house I usually walk around barefoot using my rollator probably looking like a duck. The few times my toes did get caught on a rug I was able to hold on to my rollator.

If it is any consolation, Carol who has no neurological disorder, is always getting her big toe caught when she walks around in her pajama pants which are too long. She also walks into door sills. She’s been pretty spastic all her life.:D

• Anonymous
      September 13, 2007 at 3:53 pm

Stacey

When you see your neurologist, ask him for a prescription for the AFO’s. He
      either will have a company in mind, for you to go see, or will direct you. The
      insurance companies usually cover them, if required by the neurologist…and
      you definitely require them.

I can’t stress enough, to go to an orthodic professional…they make AFO’s
      and leg prosthetics, etc. They will cover your legs in cotton socks, with a
      rubber tube running down your shin bone…they put wet, quick drying plaster
      on them, let it dry…then, with a little electric saw, will cut down the tubing
      and pull apart the cast. This will be the form for your AFO’s. Usually, it will
      take a short time (couple of days) to be ready. When you go back, to get
      fitted, bring a pair of long cotton knee-high sports socks with you. Then,
      you will be fitted to see if there are any pressure point areas that need to be
      filed down. It takes a day or two to get used to them. It keeps your foot
      and ankle from dropping…they stay at a 90 degree angle…a perfect “L”.
      For shoes, supportive sneakers are the best. They usually recommend that
      you get the “New Balance” brand, light-weight, rounded toes, no points.
      You don’t want a heavy sneaker…a walker type is the lightest. You will
      also have to get the shoes one size larger, i.e. if you wear an 8 1/2 now, you
      will need a 9 1/2 with the AFO’s. They will help you so much.

Good luck Stacey…if you need anymore information…just ask. ๐Ÿ™‚

Miami Girl

• Anonymous
      September 13, 2007 at 4:04 pm

Stacey

I forgot to tell you that both legs should be done, because you will tend to
      “favor” the good leg and it will take a toll on it…by being imbalanced. I’m
      sure, once you get them – you will kick yourself for not getting them earlier.

Part of your fatigue is remembering to walk without falling…the AFO’s do this
      for you…you don’t need to think about it anymore…

Miami Girl

• Anonymous
      September 13, 2007 at 4:54 pm

Stacey,

I’m just so gald you are ‘somewhat’ OK! You have so much on your plate already. I was reading a book the other day that made me think of you, the title is something like …. “what happy women know” and one of the stories sounded so much like yours, your mom with cancer, you ill and having to do so much of the work. Please take care of yourself!

• Anonymous
      September 14, 2007 at 8:03 am

Well after reading all of this and reporting it to my husband he has been kicking me in the butt for not getting my AFO last year when it was prescribed to me. I don’t fall often but I do trip quite a lot so I guess I’m going to make that appointment and get fitted. I’m sorry your bad fall is what it took for me to finally look after myself but my husband is relieved I’m finally doing it. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ