My feet feel good one day; numb the next

• Anonymous
      November 23, 2006 at 10:36 pm

I am still crawling on the floor. But my legs and arms feel stronger than a month ago. One day my right foot is missing the tightness and then the next 2 days it is numb. One day the right foot is good and then the feet switch and the left feels less numb. Sleeping makes it worse. Heat makes it worse so I sleep with my feet outside the blanket. Any tips on how to speed this process. Rehab won’t take me and I cannot get out the door anyhow. Any rehab tips that work? I can sit on a couch if I roll onto it.

• Anonymous
      November 23, 2006 at 11:15 pm

Hi Carolyn,

If you could keep your posts on one thread, you’d get better responses that way. You had a few responses from your last post too, in case you haven’t seen them yet. I think we were all in agreement that if you think this is GBS-related, you should get to a hospital and demand proper treatment. I know it isn’t easy to do when you’re by yourself, but it’s important that you do so.

Best wishes,

Shannon

• Anonymous
      November 24, 2006 at 12:04 pm

Carolyn,

There are no short cuts to getting better. GBS takes time and rest, plus a bit of range of motion therapy to keep your body limber while you are in the acute phase of GBS. Physical therapy for recuperation comes later.

Physical therapy exercises should be taught by a qualified therapist, who will take into account the damaged areas of your body, your current physical condition, and your medical diagnosis. Getting arbitrary advice for exercises makes no sense. You may be delaying healing by requiring your body to move around so inefficiently, and subjecting it to such punishment while you are ill. You could needlessly end up with residual problems that don’t go away. Too much exercise, or the wrong kind at the wrong time can actually set back your recovery or cause a relapse.

You mentioned that you “can’t get out” and “can’t get into a car”. If you call an ambulance, they will transport you. I understand that you are afraid of hospitals. Worrying about an infection that you “might” get in a hospital, is preventing you from getting treatment for a disorder that you know you actually do have. Personally, I think this isn’t a rational choice.

You have received answers to your requests for advice from several people here who are fellow GBS patients. We’ve been there. But we can’t make you take our advice. You must help yourself. I hope you will.

Suzanne