My doc. wants me to take methadone

• Anonymous
      November 16, 2010 at 1:24 pm

Hallo all, it has been quite awhile since i have been here, and i would appriciate some advice very much.
      For the last 5 or 6 months now i have been having to take my percocet 1mgs two at a time to attain pain relief….and i didn’t talk to my doctor about it because i was scared that she might try to put me on methadone…just like she had done my best friend and he died less than a month after it happenned.
      Well, i made the appt to talk to her about it yesterday, and thought we were on the same page, till i got out to my car and noticed that she had indeed prescribed the done to me, so i ran back in and told her that i am NOT comfortable, indeed rather, scared to death to take it….
      I have only been doing the pain management for 4 or 5 years now…same amount of time pretty much that i have been dealing with CIDP and i just really don’t see how methadone now…(or ever really) is a better pain management option than something that i won’t have to go to a clinic to ween off of.
      Please any opinions or advice would be appriciated.
      P.S. she asked me to try it for two weeks then evaluate…i don’t wanna…she said that she didn’t think anything else was covered…. ?What? Really?

• Anonymous
      November 16, 2010 at 3:12 pm

If you don’t and won’t do methadone, that’s fine!
      Go back to your dr and ask her to get creative…. ask her if she’s tired methadone herself, and would she consider it a personal option. Maybe that would start a more creative conversation.

Otherwise, maybe looking into alternative medicine will ease your pain. I find regular physical therapy, chiropractic and acupuncture helps tons! Acupuncture for me is especially helpful with stress and the pain that it aggrivates. I also eat pretty darn clean and try to get healthy exercise, plenty of hydration, and take detoxifying agents. Sometimes our bodies are so clogged up with toxic build-up that inflammation and pain are the only solution to tell us to look around.

I hope you can find a better solution and live w/o pain all together.

• Anonymous
      November 16, 2010 at 7:37 pm

Look at the older posts on Main, GBS and CIDP Forums for info on pain meds.

Also on the top right page is the “Search” tab that you can put “pain meds” into for older posts to come up fro reading.Varied comments on what forum members use. I have severe pain and go to a pain management physician who has helped me intensively.

• Anonymous
      November 17, 2010 at 4:58 pm

[QUOTE=kittispitz] …i have been having to take my percocet 1 MIGs two at a time to attain pain relief….[/QUOTE]

Percocet is a “short” acting pain medication. Your doctor may be looking for something that’s longer acting. If you are concerned about methadone itself, you might want to investigate MS contin. It’s a form of time release morphine. Yes, it is a narcotic, yes you can be come dependent on it to relieve you pain, but the same thing is true of percocet. I’ve been on it for a little over a year. I take 30 mg twice a day. On a good day I’ll skip the morning dose. It doesn’t make me drowsy or confused [well no more than normal, according to my wife]. However, each of us react differently medication. I know at that my dosage my wife would out cold.

I hope this give you something to talk to your doctor about.

• Anonymous
      November 18, 2010 at 12:40 am

Strange topic because I am looking at a new pain regime. Oxycoten is prescribed to me at will, but well it releaves some pain I am looking more at something stronger. I think for each of us, like this disease, we all need unique treatments and pain control. I don’t want to be catatonic but do want to have some days or part days pain free.

• Anonymous
      November 18, 2010 at 1:08 am

[QUOTE=dieno]Strange topic because I am looking at a new pain regime. Oxycoten is prescribed to me at will, but well it releaves some pain I am looking more at something stronger. I think for each of us, like this disease, we all need unique treatments and pain control. I don’t want to be catatonic but do want to have some days or part days pain free.[/QUOTE]

What dose of OxyContin are you on, dieno?

• Anonymous
      November 18, 2010 at 10:29 am

I am allowed 3 tablets (10 mg) 4 x a day I rarely take that many and mostly take 3 tablets mid afternoon once the pain gets to be too much. Because I have P.O.E.M.S. Syndrome my pain is different I am told than regular cidp. Not sure about that. Days when pain is overwhelming oxycoten even at max dose does not cut it.

• Anonymous
      November 18, 2010 at 11:42 am

Ric, Did they definitely diagnose you will POEMS? If so, what is the treatment regime now, and what tests picked it up?
      Laurel

• Anonymous
      November 18, 2010 at 1:46 pm

I have confirmed 3 of the primary symptoms. The polyneuropathy, enlargement of organs(in my case liver) and liaisons on my bones. Waiting for two other test results and my doctor is having two other doctors and senior radiologist review my M.R.I. But they see some shadows on my upper spine. Skelatal survey showed shadows and liaisons on hips and some on my right arm and some in my sternum. 99% sure at his point it is P.O.E.M.S. Treatment is chemo still with radiation, I believe also a steroid regime. There is a slight possibility of a stem cell treatment, but once again we have to wait. Typical huh? The ugly part is the morbidity rate. Looks like 18 months give or take at this point.

• Anonymous
      November 18, 2010 at 4:28 pm

May I ask whether it shakes the confidence you have in your neurologist when it takes info. from this forum to get them to look into POEMS? I have seen so many times that we have to be self advocates and I find it very frustrating and a little scary. Ric I am sorry that things continue to be so complicated for you. Maybe when they zero in on some of the POEMS symptoms and treat them things will turn around. I am saying prayers.
      Laurel