Muscle cramps

• Anonymous
      August 18, 2006 at 6:23 pm

I’m starting to have muscle cramps in my muscles whenever I tighten or stretch them.

Not minor cramping, but major Charley horse kind of cramping. Fortunately, it goes away when I unclench the muscles, or unstetch them. I used to get this occasionally, but now I’m starting to get it a lot.

Anyone have experience with this? If so, what did you do to make it go away?

• Anonymous
      August 18, 2006 at 8:27 pm

Suzanne,

I go for months and months without any cramping … then, all of a sudden, for a few weeks the cramping starts, generally in my feet or face, the pain is horrible:( . All i can do, once I’ve tried to calm my screaming mind down, is to try and massage my face, or stand on my tip toes to try and stretch the cramp out. Nothing else I can think of doing ….. After a few weeks of that happening every now and then, it dissapears for quite a long time again. I’m sure my body was snatched when I wasnt looking on night, and replaced by a slightly (hah!) :rolleyes: more defective one …. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Anonymous
      August 18, 2006 at 8:44 pm

Ali,

Don’t you just LOVE GBS? So many new and exciting things to learn – something every day! lol

By the way, I sent you a PM. Let me know if you don’t get it – I’m new to using that.

• Anonymous
      August 18, 2006 at 8:59 pm

Suzy Q ..

I did get your pm. Wrote a looooong one back but am having problems with my internet connection at the resort we are staying at, so If I dont remember to copy what I’ve written, I loose it all ๐Ÿ˜ฎ (which happened to your pm). Now, learning my lesson and copying everything I type, and end up pasting the post about 4 times before it gets accepted. Will send you aother one again, this time a shorter version because I had a little bit of waffle in there as well ๐Ÿ˜ฎ .

• Anonymous
      August 18, 2006 at 9:31 pm

i get those hard cramps in my legs and arms right down to the hands, quite abit, also. i find that drinking more fluids-i drink filtered water and white cranberry/peach juice, and eatting bananas or other fruit high in potassium helps alot. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous
      August 19, 2006 at 1:02 pm

Cheryl,

Thanks for the info. I tried drinking more H2O and this seemed to be the key. I sometimes forget to watch the water intake (especially during hot summer months), and it is important.

It’s so great to be able to discuss these things with other GBSers. Someone always seems to have a good suggestion. Yours was just the ticket!

• Anonymous
      August 22, 2006 at 4:11 pm

Suzanne,

I have the problem with my hands and I have found that Gatorade or Powerade, or like products offer relief within the hour and stop it within a day! I will drink a 32oz bottle over a 2 day period and it works.

Hope this will work for you, as I thought my dose of IVIG, didn’y do the the job anymore. YIA…Paul.

YIA = To your health in Greek!

• Anonymous
      August 22, 2006 at 6:00 pm

Paul,

YIA to you too and thank you for the idea!

• Anonymous
      August 22, 2006 at 8:14 pm

Mason gets cramps in arms, legs, stomach,and back. I have learned from yall that rubbing does not work, it hurts more.

Trish

• Anonymous
      August 23, 2006 at 5:52 am

I get cramps in my legs every night…….when I stretch. Then, wow, calf (usually), starts going…………..I have to get up and walk it out, then it is ok.
      And yes, Gatorade or Powerade is very good. The “new” Rain Gatorade is very good. Have ya’ll tried it? I really never like the regular Gatorade before, but, this new “Rain” is pretty good! ๐Ÿ™‚

Perry

• Anonymous
      August 24, 2006 at 9:18 am

I also get severe cramps in my lower legs. I especially have trouble when swimming or after walking a longer distance. Also, anytime that I am not able to hold my feet at 90 degrees (the general footdrop position), within 15-20 minutes I can be sure of a muscle cramp coming on. While I only had a mild case of GBS (I am about 30 days post-onset) and am already walking, mowing-yard, working as I can, the cramps are definitely difficult.