Muscle Biopsy-

• Anonymous
      March 4, 2011 at 10:58 am

:confused:
      It’s been 3 weeks since my muscle biopsy….. Just got an email from the doctor that said
      “I just got your biopsy report, and while it’s not completely normal, they do not point us toward any particular diagnosis yet. We are doing some additional stains, and I will look at them myself and with the neuropathologists to see where we should go from here.:eek:
      He had CIDP as my working diagnosis….
      Been out of work and looking for answers for a year
      Been turned down by SSDI twice…setting up appeal now

• Anonymous
      March 4, 2011 at 11:29 am

Sending big hugs your way!

Don’t give up the fight.

Oh, I hope you get some answers soon.

Waiting is horrible, did you have a lumber puncture test, the one where they take spinal fliud from your back?

If that comes back high in protein it is another test used to diagnosis CIDP.

Take care and hang in there,

Rhonda

• Anonymous
      March 5, 2011 at 8:04 pm

For a CIDP diagnosis some of the things they would be looking for would be demyelination and remyelination in the nerve sample they took. They would also be able to see if the nerve to muscle connection has been affected by the damage caused by CIDP.

Maybe he didn’t see those things in your biopsy and his diagnosis was confused by the results. You could always ask your neuro why the results of the biopsy led him in one direction or another. Everytime I asked why, they told me. It was up to me to stay informed about the answers.

Good Luck !!

• Anonymous
      March 5, 2011 at 9:04 pm

For a really good understanding of what they might be doing with your muscle biopsy consider going to this website:

[url]http://neuromuscular.wustl.edu/lab/mbiopsy.htm[/url]

For example, here is what they say about Atrophy:

“[I]…Atrophy (H&E; ATPase): Also see Fiber type disorders

* Small rounded fibers: Myopathy (Regeneration; Chronic); Type I smallness
      * Small angular fibers: Neuropathy; Type 2 atrophy; Inclusion body myopathies
      * Grouped: Neuropathy with denervation
      o Multiple small groups: Most commonly associated with ALS
      o Large groups: Chronic denervation; Motor neuron disease
      o Rule out: Myopathic grouping
      * Perifascicular: Dermatomyositis …[/I]”

Read this website’s discussion of muscle biopsy and then you may get an idea what to look for and what questions to ask after you get a copy of the biopsy report.