MS VACCINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its only a matter of time before we get a cure.

• Anonymous
      August 14, 2007 at 10:42 am

DNA vaccine against multiple sclerosis appears safe, potentially beneficial

August 14, 2007 – A newly developed DNA vaccine appears safe and may produce beneficial changes in the brains and immune systems of individuals with multiple sclerosis, according to an article posted online today that will appear in the October 2007 print issue of Archives of Neurology, one of the JAMA/Archives journals.

In patients with multiple sclerosis (MS), the immune system attacks the myelin sheaths that protect nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord, according to background information in the article. The nerve cell’s axon, which transmits messages to other neurons, is eventually destroyed. The cause of MS is unknown, but evidence points to the involvement of immune cells and antibodies that recognize and attack specific substances in the myelin, such as myelin basic protein. Certain cytokines, small proteins produced by cells that trigger inflammation, also may play a role.

Amit Bar-Or, M.D., of the Montreal Neurological Institute and colleagues tested a DNA vaccine, BHT-3009, that encodes a full-length human myelin basic protein. Between 2004 and 2006, the researchers administered the vaccine to 30 patients with relapsing-remitting MS [characterized by symptomatic periods and periods of remission] or secondary progressive MS [when symptoms progressively worsen, but there still may be periods of remission]. After one, three, five and nine weeks, participants received intramuscular injections of placebo or BHT-3009 (in doses of .5 milligrams, 1.5 milligrams or 3 milligrams), with or without 80-milligram pills of atorvastatin calcium, a lipid-lowering drug previously shown to be effective in autoimmune conditions. After 13 weeks, participants who initially received placebo received four injections of BHT-3009.

Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and other safety evaluations were performed at the beginning of the study, and again after five, nine, 13, 26, 38 and 50 weeks. “BHT-3009 was safe and well tolerated, provided favorable trends on brain MRI and produced beneficial antigen-specific immune changes,” the authors write. These changes included a reduction in the number of cytokine-producing CD4+ T cells (a type of white blood cell) specifically targeting myelin proteins. This reduction was found in the blood as well as in the cerebrospinal fluid of three patients who voluntarily underwent lumbar puncture after completing the course of BHT-3009. Atorvastatin did not appear to provide additional benefit.

“There were no increases in clinical relapses, disability, drug-associated laboratory abnormalities, adverse events or the number and volume of contrast-enhancing [visible on MRI] lesions on brain MRI with BHT-3009 treatment compared with placebo,” the authors write. “In fact, there was a trend toward a decrease in the number and volume of contrast-enhancing lesions in the brain in patients treated with BHT-3009 compared with placebo.”

Based on these results, a phase 2b trial-a randomized clinical trial in approximately 290 patients-of BHT-3009 is already under way. “If successful in MS, antigen-specific DNA vaccines can be developed for prevention or treatment of related diseases, such as type 1 diabetes mellitus, systemic lupus erythematosus, rheumatoid arthritis and myasthenia gravis,” the authors conclude.

JAMA and Archives Journals

http://www.brightsurf.com/news/headlines/32179/DNA_vaccine_against_multiple_sclerosis_appears_safe_potentially_beneficial.html

• Anonymous
      August 14, 2007 at 10:48 am

Thanks for the info … very promising. 🙂

• Anonymous
      August 15, 2007 at 11:48 am

Have read this with great interest! Thank You, Grawplyr!

• Anonymous
      August 16, 2007 at 10:06 pm

Its good to hear about this DNA Vaccine as they are slowly getting closer to finding something that really works.

Interesting read on ”Science Daily” 8/16/2007 today about a study showing a drug that protects the organs in Organ-transplants from the immune system (B-Cells) called Rapamycin is having tremendous success in Lupus which is also an autoimmune disorder.

Lets hope this pans out well and maybe could be used in autoimmune neurological diseases in the future as its already FDA approved for Transplants…

• Anonymous
      August 20, 2007 at 7:45 pm

I was a bit surprised just a few people repleid to your promising post. I guess some have been through so much, they can hardly beleive there is something that actually works. But we have to beleive. Disease that today is considered completely curable, such as Tuberculosis, was considered lethal 50 years ago. We have to beleive!! there are people working out there to find msomething better!. Your post made me happy. Considering i am young i would be pleased to know i won’t have to live with this the rest of my life. Thank you for sharing. I would like to know what the others think.

• Anonymous
      August 21, 2007 at 12:07 am

[QUOTE=Monica Lara]I was a bit surprised just a few people repleid to your promising post. I guess some have been through so much, they can hardly beleive there is something that actually works. But we have to beleive. Disease that today is considered completely curable, such as Tuberculosis, was considered lethal 50 years ago. We have to beleive!! there are people working out there to find msomething better!. Your post made me happy. Considering i am young i would be pleased to know i won’t have to live with this the rest of my life. Thank you for sharing. I would like to know what the others think.[/QUOTE]

I think there are many reasons to have hope. When I first got GBS in 89 to now there have been many advances. I think that within 10 years there will be a cure.

• Anonymous
      August 21, 2007 at 1:45 am

Hi Grawplyr,
      I have for a while thought that the treatment for C.I.D.P. would come on the tail of M.S. They are too similar in nature, to not be able to be of benefit in treatment! I also have heard of rumors of trial studies coming from back east of vaccines for M.S. with great results, and the news made my heart leap with hope; if not for me, then for the next generation who is suffering. Thanks for the validation!
      Jo Galt

• Anonymous
      August 21, 2007 at 3:58 pm

Hi Everyone,

Reading this post gave me a boost in hope. Since I have been dx 4 years ago at the age of 20, CIDP has taken my life out of my control, and everything I knew and loved was taken away from me. It caused devistation in everyone who knows me. I have suffered so much from this illness and it breaks my heart to see others suffer as well.

Just in the short time that I have been ill, they have already made advances, and I deeply beleive that in my life time they will find a cure. I also would like to start a family someday, but it scares me because autoimmune diseases run rampped in my family. However, it would give me hope if I were able to vaaccinate my children.

Thanks For Sharing,
      Emily

• Anonymous
      August 22, 2007 at 11:56 am

Question ~ since GBS is known to be a potential side effect of [I]all[/I] vaccinations, is this another “good for the masses” vs the individual? It would be so sad to be vaccinated for MS and then acquire GBS . . I weep for the huge number of young girls who now have GBS because they must receive the cervical cancer vaccine.