MS Reversed in Mice(for Kedaso and others)

• Anonymous
      August 13, 2009 at 9:16 pm

Here is an article saying they found a way to reversed MS in mice. Could this treatment work for any CIDP patients especially people like Kedaso(Ken)?

[url]http://montreal.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20090812/mtl_090812/20090812?hub=Montreal[/url]

Updated: Wed Aug. 12 2009 9:04:52 PM

ctvmontreal.ca

Researchers at Montreal’s Jewish General Hospital say they’ve successfully reversed multiple sclerosis in mice, fuelling hope there could soon be treatment available to humans.

An experimental treatment that suppresses the immune system has put multiple sclerosis into remission and completely reversed the disease in the rodents, said scientists at the hospital, who made the discovery by fluke while working on cancer treatments.

Dr. Jacques Galipeau and his team believe the treatment, called GIFT15, could be brought to human patients within two years.

GIFT15 is composed of two fused proteins: GSM-CSF and interleukin-15. The individual proteins usually stimulate the immune system, but together, Galipeau explains, they suppress immune response.

‘Jekyll-and-Hyde effect’

“If I take blood cells from your blood stream… I can purify white cells, which normally fight off infection, put them in a petri dish, and we sprinkle this synthetic protein on it, and it has a Jekyll-and-Hyde effect,” said Galipeau. The effect blocks immune reaction and prevents brain damage.

This comes as good news to Alex Normandin, a fourth-year medical student, who was diagnosed with MS two years ago. His immune system attacked his central nervous system, creating a host of symptoms including visual, motor skill and cognitive problems.

“I think it’s pretty impressive and pretty incredible… you don’t want to get too hopeful; you don’t want to count your eggs before you have them but…” said Normandin, with a hopeful smile.

The average age of multiple sclerosis diagnosis is 37 years old, and it occurs more frequently in women than men.

Sue

• Anonymous
      August 14, 2009 at 11:18 pm

I was a possible ms for a while so i made some friends on “this is MS” forum so I cut and pasted it for them. it started quite a discussion mostly scepticism so I told them ” a lttle hope can bring a mood a long way”. I think its something like 99% of experiments that are successful in mice, fail in humans. I am happy that CIDP is akin to MS cuz lets face it CIdp is too obscure to warrent the kind of research that ms gets. If a cure is ever revealed, I would hope that what is good for MS is good for CIDP.:)

• Anonymous
      August 15, 2009 at 4:56 pm

You just never know. I know someday, there WILL be a drug that will cancel out CIDP, but I don’t think in my short lifetime.

But, I am watching the Stem Cell program going on at Northwestern University in Chicago. So far, I think 7 people with CIDP has gone through it, and with 2 people it failed to work.

Watch for my post on this.

And thank you so much for watching for updates that might help me.

Thanx sweety,
      KEDASO
      (Ken)

• Anonymous
      August 15, 2009 at 5:04 pm

Your welcome Ken. I would hope 2 years wouldn’t be that long of a wait but not thinking it would be for you.
      I wonder if under some circumstances one of the trial going underway or this trail for MS if they do it sooner would they consider taking you on as there first patient. You know you don’t have much time left so either way you have nothing to lose.

Take Care

Sue

• August 15, 2009 at 9:29 pm

There is also a study at Uof Illinois Chicago already being done on people that involves ablation, suppressants and radiation. I will try to scan it if I get a chance. Busy with both of my sons, both had surgery this week.
      Dawn

• Anonymous
      August 16, 2009 at 9:55 pm

just thought i’d let you know that i am going to be treated at northwestern– the chemo, stem cell thing… i begin september 8th ! insurance never covered it, go figure– but, my folks are paying, thank god…

i remember we spoke about this in the past and thought i’d mention it. not many on this forum seem particularly interested in this protocol– in fact no one besides you and 2 others even responded to previous posts when i sought letter writing support, etc. for something that could potentially help us all.

in any case– i would be happy to talk more about it…

i hope you are well…
      alice

• Anonymous
      August 17, 2009 at 3:29 am

Alice thats Great that you get to try stem cell treatment. I know a Great Nurse/Adult Practioner at Northwestern. It sounds like the happening hospital. Keep us posted on your treatments. Take care.

• August 17, 2009 at 10:30 am

Good luck Alice!
      Not that I am not interested, I have just been overcome with illness with both of my children. Regarding the stem cell, I assume you have made contact with Jenn, she was the first recipient of a stem cell in the US at NU, she lives near me and is very nice about answering questions. About a stem cell being a cure for us all, it is a personal decision and not all qualify, everything else must be exhausted with no help, as you must have arrived to this point. Good luck to you and I will be thinking about you. Keep us posted.
      Dawn Kevies mom