Morphine induced coma?

• Anonymous
      September 29, 2011 at 12:07 am

Don’t remember too much, matter of fact, very little. Sixty plus days and had several super dreams, I guess that is what you would call them. Some people listen, grin or grimace then change the subject.

There was the noise/racket from the bulldozer just outside my ICU facility, –new hospital construction. Then there was a stranger technician giving me a shave, very slow, meticulous, sober, non-smiling, she was my Angel of Death? And on and on——- Have small recall of someone, tiny voice, far away, repeatedly calling my name. I would not answer because I did not want attention. Later found out there had been a caller attempting to get my reactions–The neurologist.

Visiting with the good Dr., some six months post and mentioned the dreams I had. His one question: Were they good dreams?

I’ve never asked nor had a reason given, as to why the induced coma. Dr. had told wife they were going to be doing some things which I would not appreciate. Intubation, spinal tap, and making the cool trip out into the night (early morning?) to the GE tunnel machine. But sixty days?:D

Wild————–Mackie

• Anonymous
      October 2, 2011 at 5:33 am

I was in a medicine induced coma for about 6 weeks. The doctor explained to my husband that the pain was to much for the body to take. He would be able to control vital bodily functions easier without my body and mind trying to fight the pain. Also he said that if it were him he would want someone to put him under and out of pain!! The pain I experienced in rehab was incredible so if I was getting better I am glad I didn’t have to endure what came before that.

Angela

• Anonymous
      October 26, 2011 at 12:44 am

i was in an induced coma for 5 days but yes the dreams were quite surreal! I still remember them 5 years post gbs! I was convinced they ran out of beds and had me in the hospital parking garage!

• Anonymous
      November 1, 2011 at 1:17 pm

I was in a medically induced coma in 2006, not for my GBS (that was in 1995) but because of an asthma attack; I had literally stopped breathing. I don’t remember any dreams….but I did wake up at one point and told my wife that I had met with my mother (who passed away in 2003) in a beautiful white room. My mom was sitting on a couch, very serene and peaceful, and told me that it wasn’t my time yet, and that I needed to be around to care for my then-1 year old daughter. After telling this to my wife I went back into the coma.

I would probably never have believed that if someone else told me that story, and I hardly ever mention it to anyone, but it was definitely super freaky. Even if it wasn’t “real”, and just a hallucination/dream/etc…..my subconcious was obviously trying to tell me something.

IMO, it definitely helps to talk about these dreams with somebody that’s willing to listen. If your friends/wife/whoever won’t listen, maybe you can contact someone near you that had GBS or something similar…or even post them here.