More workers sick from pig-brain mist

• Anonymous
      April 17, 2008 at 6:26 am

[url]http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24165989/[/url]

cut and paste into your browser

• Anonymous
      April 17, 2008 at 7:32 am

thanks for the link Julie. I have heard NOTHING about a Nebraska plant. I’ll have to see if I can find out which one.

• Anonymous
      April 17, 2008 at 9:20 am

Interesting….

Thanks for sharing.

Kelly

• Anonymous
      April 17, 2008 at 11:04 am

Thanks Julie for the link. I had been wondering what was the outcome of this issue.
      The article says: “It doesn’t appear that the slaughtered pigs have been ill”. While that may be true, I think that it is a dangerous leap to that conclusion.
      Here is why I say this….yesterday my mother was taken to the hospital for what turned out to be shingles. Upon research into the cause of shingles, I discovered that the varicella-zoster virus has lain dormant in her nerves since she had chicken pox as a 3 year-old. She is now 84 and it suddenly reappears in the form of shingles. But one would have said last week that “It doesn’t appear that she has been ill”. So maybe there is a virus that can lay dormant in the pigs and it is exposed as an air borne virus when combined with compressed air.
      I guess the other possibility is mimicry whereby the immune system of the workers mis-reads the air-borne matter considered as an antigen, and quickly produced antibodies aimed at self due to the similarity of the peptides presented on the antigen.
      Hopefully they get to the bottom of it eventually. As the article says, this could possibly help to better understand how the immune system functions.
      I hope so. Very interesting.
      Andrew

• Anonymous
      May 13, 2008 at 9:28 am

My husband works in a plant that deals with pork and there is the other part of the plant that is in another town in our state that actually slaughters them but nobody has fallen ill. There is one other possibility, my husbands plant offers flu vaccines every year free for employees and from what I understand most plants of this type do offer this and most employees do accept the vaccines. My husband does not but then getting him to a doctor even, for himself that is, is like pulling teeth. I am not saying there may not be something to the way they clean the heads but there are other things and flu vaccines have in the past and present have been something that has come up with these type of issues.