More Problems – More Help Requested – Thanks

• Anonymous
      September 21, 2010 at 12:54 am

Just like peeling an onion – each layer of this GBS is different and continues to be interesting. So, dear friends, hows this new development? I have swollen feet – awful, not just like when I was pregenant. This is like when I went into the hospital on Christmas – my ankles are non-existant, my arches are gone, I can’t wear shoes even a size larger. Peggy Hill (from King of the Hill) and I now have super big feet in common. In the morning the feet are just swollen, but by night they are huge – don’t even fit into my slippers. I am afraid to take a water pill – the only thing I do is drink lemon juice in my water. In the past that has helped a lot, but right now nothing is helping the problem. Is water retention a post GBS problem? Am I now having those “resuidals” everyone keeps talking about? Is there anything I can do to help the water retention while not affecting my blood pressure or doing something not so good for my GBS? I am back to teaching full time, and I do spend a lot of time on my feet – but I’ve thought about that. Stay off my feet whenever possible. Gosh, guys, I just want to get back to normal and when it seems I am – wham! another layer of the onion comes off and I have a new issue to face. Any thoughts?

• Anonymous
      September 21, 2010 at 4:07 pm

Hi Cathie,

The water retention can be a residual of GBS. The doctor prescribed water pills once I was walking around more, which was approx. 6 months to a year after my diagnosis. At times, I still have swelling, but not nearly as bad. However, you should probably have your doctor rule out other potential issues.

Can you control how much time you spend on your feet? I realize teaching is interactive, but is it possible to sit for a while and prop your feet up on a box hidden beneath the desk? Another alternative is to wear support/compression hose. They’re hard as heck to pull on and I’d suggest the knee or thigh hi.

Also, when you get home, I’ve read (on this forum actually) that you can lie on the couch and prop your feet up high enough and the swelling should diminish.

Take care and good luck!!!

Tina

• Anonymous
      September 21, 2010 at 4:43 pm

Cathie,

I have CIDP and have terrible swelling. I have to lay on couch for several hours a day and prop feet up on the back to get any relief.

For what is it worth I am on water pill and don’t notice any huge improvements.

Try to get them up and see if that helps.

Rhonda from Canada

• Anonymous
      September 22, 2010 at 4:59 pm

Hi Cathie,

Hi…..How does this day find you? As a part of my GBS journey I had quite a bit of leg swelling……and compression hose were standing issue. I was allowed to take them off only at night. I thought that the hose were a pain and decided to not wear them…bad idea…I noticed the swelling was much worse when I didn’t wear them. I wore them until about 2 weeks after I came home….and haven’t had to use them since. In reading your other post I couldn’t help but think your swelling might be amplified by your BP medicine or the BP problems you are currently experiencing.

I think it is really nice how the teachings position opened up for you and your husband. I hope that this latest inconvienence doesn’t sour you on how far you’ve come. I think you’re doing great!

• Anonymous
      September 26, 2010 at 12:03 pm

when did you get gbs, I had swelling in the nursing home.
      But after that an I was up alot more an off the blood thinners it went away.
      I have all the classic residuals but I don’t recall water retintion one of those.
      I’d have your doctor explore other reasons.