More baby steps

• Anonymous
      February 26, 2010 at 10:36 am

Today, my cane and i went to the grocery store. I am or used to be the family cook so this trip was very exciting. I kept looking behind me expecting to see my wife, ( my wonderful, if not over protective wife) sneaking around the aisles keepng an eye on me. After my nap this morning, I plan on making meatball and tomato sauce. My son, daughter-in-law and 5 month old grandson will be coming for diner tonight. The meatballs and gravy will have to be some of my best ever so that they can see how much better (not all better) I am becoming. Luckily, they are not coming till 7pm so I can get in several naps and my wife (Mary Beth, the love of my life) will be home this afternoon to provide assistance and moral support and remind me to go lay down.
      Harryb
      My glass is not half full or half empty. I am happy to have a glass.

Lets here some of your baby steps. One of my first baby step was holding my own fork less then six weeks ago.

• Anonymous
      February 26, 2010 at 2:31 pm

My story: had a TIA (mini-stroke), when they did a CT scan to diagnose that, they found a brain tumor. Took out the brain tumor and I got GBS a week latter. The doctors think I may have picked up a virus in the hospital. Paralyzed to my neck. Respirator, whole bit. That happened in May of 09. I walked, (ok so it was more like stumbling) home ten weeks latter. The only residuals are my feet feel like they are “asleep” all the time. Pins and needles.
      All my baby steps managed added up to one big experience this Monday. I was able to go downtown and walk around and enjoy a once in a lifetime event. I live in Vancouver, Canada. To be able to spend even an hour taking in the spirit of the games was a very emotional thing to do for me. I was standing there looking at the flame, holding my children’s hands and I felt like I won a gold medal.

Keep up the baby steps.

The longest journey begins with a single step.

• Anonymous
      February 26, 2010 at 2:34 pm

Hi Harry,
      I am pleased to report that lately I can whistle again. The right side of my mouth has been drooping for 2 1/3 years since my flu shot in 2007, but lately I’ve seen a little muscle control happening there, and I can whistle a tune now.(tweet,tweet)
      And I have started singing in the shower again.(tra,la,la…la,lah!)

• Anonymous
      February 26, 2010 at 2:37 pm

Wrtrmom, That was a gold metal baby step congratulation

• Anonymous
      February 26, 2010 at 2:40 pm

DU Whistle a happy tune. Another big baby step for me today, my wife just put my walker away in storage . Yahoo!

• Anonymous
      February 26, 2010 at 3:46 pm

awsome Harry ! Keep up the good work !

Stacey

• Anonymous
      February 27, 2010 at 8:24 am

Last night i held my grandson and walked across the room with him. Lets hear your baby steps.
      My glass is not half full or half empty just happy to have a glass

• Anonymous
      February 27, 2010 at 8:59 am

wrtrmom,

What a great experience experience you had and to give your children those memories.
      I believe you did win that gold medal.

Shirley

• Anonymous
      February 27, 2010 at 9:09 am

Harry,

Your making great progress with those baby steps.
      I like your expression,” just happy to have a glass”.

Your taking more steps each day, good for you.

Shirley