Modifying a Bike for a 4 year old

• Anonymous
      April 9, 2007 at 5:28 pm

Hi all

I am just wondering if anyone has an experience/ideas on how to modify a bike for my daughter. I have been googling this for weeks, and haven’t found much to help me. Then it occurred to me that maybe someone out there has had to do this, and might have answers.

My 4 year Abby rode a 2 wheeler last year (as a 3 year old). It was her obsession all last summer. In October she was diagnosised with GBS. Her legs are still extremely weak, and she walks with a wheeled walker. Her right leg is about 60% normal and her left is extremely weak. We put her training wheels back on her bike, and we also have to velcro strap her feet to the pedals to help them stay on. She basically pedals with her right leg, however when her right leg gets to about 10-11:00 she losses momenteum and a lot of times she pedal backwards thus putting on her brake.

I have contacted a couple of links that I found on the internet, but they all suggest a three wheeled trike style bike. There is no way that Abby will agree to this, plus the expense is unimaginable, and they all go way too slow for her liking!

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? I know that this sounds like such a petty problem, but to a 4 year old who is used to her indepdence, it is a huge problem. I hate watching her sit on the sideline watching her brother ride his bike. I will take any suggestions.

Mary

• Anonymous
      April 10, 2007 at 1:06 pm

Maybe you can get her a bike that doesn’t have pedal brakes & has hand brakes. Then if she happens to pedal backwards it won’t stop her.

That’s all I can think of.

My daughter was 4 when she was dx’d so I know EXACTLY what you are talking about.

Good luck.
      Kelly

• Anonymous
      April 10, 2007 at 1:22 pm

Hi Mary, I was going to email you these suggestions until i saw you posted on here. have you talked with anyone from the C.P. foundation, or Juv Arth. foundation? there is a young man who has cp here where i am, he rides a specially designed bike, he sits and pedals with his hands. it is an awesome sight to see him riding bikes with his friends. those foundations might have information about things that would help Abby get her freedom again. i’ll try to see if i can get info from his family for you, can’t promise when i can get over to that side of town but i’ll try(its over in my parents end of town)
      mary let me know when you are up here for Abby’s therapy, i live 1 mile from there-we’ll get together for mickey d’s if Abby likes eating there, or wherever she wants to go-or the mall’s food court is good also.:) Everyone has there days, Mary, i’m sure there is an answer out there for Abby’s bike. Big Hugs!