Methotrexate stops progression???

• Anonymous
      April 12, 2007 at 1:03 am

After 21 months of very intense IVIG I asked for more help halting the progression. My neuro gave me Methotrexate pills 2 months ago that supposively in 12-18 months will stop it.
      So my question is: With the IVIG 3 days every other week AND the Methotrexate will I somehow slowup or stop the CIDP progression??? Have you hear anything to confirm this?
      I am single, no family nearby and do way too much in the tiny hours I’m mobile. I have little energy and feeling like the menopausal witch from the Methotrexate (the side effects are too similar for my liking).Without any treatment the neuro said I’d be in a wheelchair very quickly.I am doing much better but it’s a slippery road.
      I’ve read after each relapse I loss more like going down a staircase-levels off but more decline after each episode. I better start using the electric cart when shopping if available and maybe that will cut down the intense nerve pain. I just can get up to feed the cat his breakfast and the pain starts.
      Thank you for your great input on the FORUM. I can read such honest answers and find something to relate to.

• Anonymous
      April 12, 2007 at 5:07 am

Limekat, methotrexate is a cytotoxic or anticancer cell drug. It inhibits rapidly growing abnormal cells. You will see that many of us have had azathioprine, cyclosporine, mycophenolate (Cellcept) and rituxan these, like methotrexate, are all anticancer drugs and methotrexate is currently in the forefront of research in the treatment of CIDP. I went through all the others and my CIDP was arrested by rituxan and has burned itself out for two years now leaving me partially paralysed but no worse over those two years. DocDavid

• Anonymous
      April 12, 2007 at 6:38 pm

My daughter takes Methotrexate for her rheumatoid arthritis (another autoimmune disease). She seems to do quite well with it.