Methadone for chronic pain ?

• Anonymous
      February 20, 2009 at 5:39 pm

Hello,I`m just wondering if anyone else has been prescribed this drug as a treatment.I am going to start this drug in four days.Any insight would be appreciated.

• Anonymous
      February 21, 2009 at 4:58 am

Hi Grimm,
      I haven’t tried it, (nor will I)…………isn’t that the drug treatment for heroin addiction withdrawals???????????

Be Careful!!!! 😮

Perry

• Anonymous
      February 21, 2009 at 5:39 am

Dear Grimm, I have been on methadone for over 10 years now, and as long as I make sure that the dosage is not interfering with my quality of life, but assisting it, I am grateful to have a medication that will last long term, is low key, with little side effects,( once you have gotten used to them ! ) and is cheap! It is just a matter of getting over the stigma, and make sure you are in the hands of a good pain management doctor ! Keep in touch…
      Jo Galt

• Anonymous
      February 21, 2009 at 2:38 pm

Uhhhhhhhhhh………..with all due respect, I still don’t think this is the “drug” of choice??
      Any help /advice from others??

Per

• Anonymous
      February 21, 2009 at 10:06 pm

In my opinion, neurontin or lyrica is the med for pain in people with nerve damage. Methadone is not the easiest drug to use or the best for nerve pain. I would seriously look into the side affects with this drug. there are good sites online that you can go to to get the info. Narcotics aren’t the drug of choice for nerve pain for many reasons. Neurontin, lyrica or other meds are more appropriate then narcotics, and have better outcomes as well. This is my opinion, I have in the past for other health issues been on all types of narc meds for pain, the side effects weren’t desirable, the pain wasn’t well managed as compared to neurontin for me. I could go on and on about the trouble that narcs caused, but I won’t. Do your research. Meds affect everybody differently. Take care.

• Anonymous
      February 21, 2009 at 10:09 pm

I have chronic pain in my legs and lower back.I have anular tears in two of my discs,GBS screwed up the nerves in my legs.Apparently I also have RLS and bursitis as well.I don’t know about the last two but,Between the GBS and my funky back its left me in bad pain.I have tried Lyrica,gabapenten,neurontin,Viox,Arthrotec and some other similar drugs.I haven’t been responsive with them at all. I was on Dilaudid but it did’nt last the 12 hours it was supposed to. I have been offered the Methadone to keep the pain suppresed and I am hopeful that I will get some steady relife. Jo Galt, could you let me know how you responded to the Methadone and were you on any opioids beforehand?

Thank you all for your replies

• Anonymous
      February 21, 2009 at 10:30 pm

Hi: We have this debate about medication periodically. Honestly, the people who do not use narcotic drugs tend to be judgemental about their use. While it is true that neurontin helps a lot with nerve pain, there are several types of residual pain from GBS and narcotics can help control them. Without oxycontin my life would be unbearable, and I am on the highest dose of neurontin as well. Perry-methadone is a well known drug used for many kinds of pain and for control of RLS as well. In medical circles there is no stigma associated with its use.
      I was on methadone for a while but developed a side effect I couldn’t control. Oxycontin works much better for me but is much more expensive as well. Used well and with care there is no problem using narcotics. Addiction comes when you constantly increase your dosage at a rapid rate.
      I would respectfully submit that people who do not use narcotics respect those who do and do not automatically react against them. I think about 15% or so of the people I know with GBS are on narcotic pain meds. Like I said my life was hell without them and I get tired of people reacting negatively to their use. If you have chronic pain at a moderate to severe level medications like morphine, oxycontin and methadone are life savers. Jeff

• Anonymous
      February 21, 2009 at 10:52 pm

I have never taken methadone myself, but I work with children with cancer, some of whom have bad chronic pain. I have seen lives transformed when they switched to methodone. Before the side effects of other narcotics ruled their lives (sleepiness, itching, urinary retention, preoccupation with medicines because most others do not necessarily work very long or consistently so pain was up and down); after pain was much better controlled and more consistently and life was much more lived. Because methodone does not give so much the “high” that other narcotics can do, there was less concern about psychological effects in the survivors and it was easier to wean off when they no longer needed it. I would strongly advocate for this if chronic constant severe pain is a part of anyone’s life.
      There is a stigma because of its use for heroin addition in the past, but this does not negate that it is one of the better pain medications. You do have to be careful in starting it because it has a long half life and it is rather easy to get too much as it builds up because medical people are more used to other narcotics that come to steady state levels a lot faster.
      This being said, I also agree with others that for neuropathic pain, medicines for that type of pain are preferrable– such as neurontin or Lyrica. But many people have other kinds of pain as well as neuropathic pain or cannot take these medications.
      There are a lot of people that cannot get good pain management because society is so leary of pain medications including, unfortunately, many doctors and there are lots of state restrictions, etc. There seem to be fewer stressors on filling methadone prescriptions than many other types of narcotics for severe pain because there are fewer worries (on doctor and patient side) about misuse or use of drugs for escapism. It has seemed to me that people are better able to concentrate on living life when the person in pain is on methadone. I do not say that this is the way society should be, but it often the way it is and it is worth saying that reducing that stress in communication is a good thing.
      WithHope for a cure of these diseases

• Anonymous
      February 23, 2009 at 3:41 pm

You know whats scary.I won’t even tell my parents or brother about methedone.Only my wife knows.I’m that afraid of the stigma associated with it. Honestly it feels like the muscles in my legs are being ripped apart and my lower back feels like a knitting needle was pushed in.
      I used to have preconseptions about opiod medications and I have been severly humbled.No one can tell you how much pain your feeling.I know there are others like me out there that need opioids.I know I’m not alone anymore but, I wish I were.
      No one should have to exist in cronic pain.

• Anonymous
      February 24, 2009 at 1:15 am

I have a friend who has been on methadone for about 10 years now. He was taken about 10 oxys, 80mg, aday and slept most of the day. He went to a pain clinic and they put him on methadone and he was like a new person. He was up most of the time and could carry on a real conversation with you. You cannot tell he is on any meds now , while on the methadone.
      Jeff, my good friend, I agree whole heartedly with you on the oxy meds. I have been on the 80mg oxy 3 times aday, and would have commited suicide if I had not gotten something for the pain from this GBS. I take lyrica, cymbalta, cymbalta replaced the neuroton for me, and have been on the lyrica and neuronton, now cymbalta and arhtritis, muscle relaxers, aspirin and a bunch more, but the lyrica and neuronton by itself would not even touch the pain for me. YEAH, I TAKE OXYCONTIN AND DON’T CARE WHO KNOWS I DO…well, I keep it quiet around my house and area, because I am afraid someone will break into my house and kill me for it. Yes, I keep it very hush-hush around here.
      PLEASE DON’T PUT MEDS DOWN THAT YOU DON’T KNOW ABOUT, OR WHO THEY MAYBE A LIFE SAVER FOR…LIKE ME FOR INSTANCE. The Drs told me I could take more pain than most people, so you see, I am not just a complainer. I was on no meds at all when I got sick with GBS; not even a aspirin. Anyway, Grimm, don’t be afraid to take meth, yes they do use it to get some people off drugs, but that is not a bad thing. At least I can talk to my friend now, and as before the meth there was nobody home there…just a empty shell. He got banged up in a traffic accident, not his fault, and has had several back and leg surgeries. Jeff, you take care my good friend .
      God bless all,
      Drummer

• Anonymous
      February 26, 2009 at 12:30 pm

Greetings,

I would like to add my 2 cents to this discussion regarding narcotics. I agree with you Jeff! I too get very tired of people on this site bad mouthing the use of narcotics for pain relief. Or worse, say that it’s not for nerve pain and does not work.

I’ve been trying to manage chronic nerve pain for almost 8 years. Am on a high dose of lyrica, but only notice that the med helps the pain when I’m walking the short distance that I can. Also, at times helps the pain while inactive.

On the other side, VICODIN always works for me. Because I’m scared of what people say about this and other narcotics, I only take the drug occasionally. Maybe after a long walk or when I’m having a bad day. 6 pills a week for the past 2 years.

Anyone watch House on USA this week? It was about Dr. House taking methodone instead of vicodin for his pain.

Take the rest of the day off,

Rob

• Anonymous
      February 26, 2009 at 3:58 pm

I think if it works for you, take it. Nerve pain hurts….and, it hurts bad.
      I’ve had episodes of a burning hand that if it were to be constant, I’d be looking for anything and everything I could for relief…including jumping off a bridge. The pain is unbearable.

Narcotics get a bad rap b/c of the abusers or the tendencies for abuse.

Good luck in finding what works for you, and when you do, dont feel bad for taking it. We all have our thing…our opinions, too. What works for one of us certainly does not work for the other. We shouldnt judge ourselves or each other by the meds we choose or dont choose to take for relief.

I used to take alot of vicodin…never taken methadone…but, I dont take any vicodin now b/c of personal reasons…however, I’ll be the last one to judge anyone for what they take for pain.

well wishes,
      Stacey

• Anonymous
      February 28, 2009 at 12:08 am

Most likely the comments have been made out of concern for each other ~ it’s called giving that responder the benefit of the doubt! Some days I find it so difficult to get my words to say what my head intended 😮

I am an intense opponent of prednisone, due to my experience with the side effects ~ but I would not be alive today if I hadn’t taken it. I think that this is part of the idea of this site; to share what worked or didn’t work for us so that others can have more info when needing to make a choice.

I would wish for all [U]no more pain[/U] 🙁

• Anonymous
      February 28, 2009 at 12:30 am

From my personal experience with pain medication I have found that what some people swear by will not work for me. This includes some narcotics [VICODIN for example]. So my two cents is, if it works for you, go with it.

There was a lot of good advise about possible ramifications of certain drugs as well as there possible benefits. That what this forum is all about. We share our experience so the person asking the question can learn from what we have personally experienced. That allows them to make an informed decision.

Keep up the good work.

• Anonymous
      March 11, 2009 at 2:54 pm

Hi, Grim, I have been on Methadone for my GBS. I don’t have to take much, that is one good thing about it. I am also on Neurotin, between the 2 I do ok. THere are times I get frustrated, but I think that just goes along with GBS. You have to make the decision as to what works best for you. Being in pain alot is a hard way to live. Take Care Sherry

• Anonymous
      March 12, 2009 at 6:36 am

[QUOTE=angel2ndclass22699]In my opinion, neurontin or lyrica is the med for pain in people with nerve damage. Methadone is not the easiest drug to use or the best for nerve pain. I would seriously look into the side affects with this drug. there are good sites online that you can go to to get the info. Narcotics aren’t the drug of choice for nerve pain for many reasons. Neurontin, lyrica or other meds are more appropriate then narcotics, and have better outcomes as well. This is my opinion, I have in the past for other health issues been on all types of narc meds for pain, the side effects weren’t desirable, the pain wasn’t well managed as compared to neurontin for me. I could go on and on about the trouble that narcs caused, but I won’t. Do your research. Meds affect everybody differently. Take care.[/QUOTE]
      what happen’s when you are getting sick or breaking out useing these nerotin and lyrica like me. I am on percet 10’s 4 a day and 800mg’s ibuprofin. I cut ibu in half cause if you take with percsets it help’s more so there is another percsets better than methdon

• Anonymous
      March 12, 2009 at 11:17 pm

Right now I am on no meds and pretty miserable. I just posted on the site about vicodin and its long term affects. ( dont know).Nurotin only made me feel slow in my thinking and a bit confused. I think my pain is from nerves in the feet that rerouted funky, that and Im tired easily. Fom my shins down arent right and afraid will always be like this. Gene on this site would say his feet healed 2 years after the event, Im hoping it goes that way.

• Anonymous
      March 19, 2009 at 11:15 am

I’m sorry to report that my 3 week stint on methadone ended in complete failure.I became so sick that it was intolerable.I went back on the hydromorphone cotin yesterday and I am starting to feel better.I had high hopes for the methadone but,I can’t deal with the side effects. I understand why it was tried out because you can lead a normal life on this drug.If a doctor asks if you want to try it,go ahead.It could be a life saver.