Meet me in Charlotte for Miracle Mile

• March 6, 2010 at 9:59 am

I signed up for the Charlotte Miracle Mile last night (See the Foundation home page for details). It’s scheduled for May 1st 2010.

I had a check up yesterday with my neurologist he was extremely encouraged with my progress and recovery. I told him about the Miracle Mile and said I would try to run the 5K event there. He said to get my work with my blood center doc to make sure the timing on my PEs before the Miracle Mile had me at my peak performance before the event.

My neurologist encouraged me to contact our local paper and see if they’re interested in doing a human interest story on it. He said he would be glad to speak with them as well. So, I’m contacting them next week.

The journey to Charlotte has begun. 😮 I hope some of my forum friends can be there???

B There or B Square,

Gary

• Anonymous
      March 6, 2010 at 9:53 pm

Gary,

Charlotte is just down the road. I cannot participate, but maybe I can be there for support. I will check into it. I’ll let you know. Thanks for posting

• March 6, 2010 at 11:15 pm

Hi Gary,
      I’ll be there in spirit for sure. That’s amazing.. The publicity will help do a lot for this disease as well.
      I just know in my heart that you’ll come out on top and I applaud you for getting your doctor’s approval. You’ve set a good example for all of us.
      God Bless you and my prayers are with you!

• Anonymous
      March 7, 2010 at 11:27 pm

I’ve tried to go since it was first started but never could.
      I wondered how folks like me where to walk from the parking area to the actual festivities??

• March 10, 2010 at 9:39 am

Dick, hope you can make it, support means more to me than you can imagine. And would enjoy meeting you in person.

Katy, thank you. Being there in spirit is a boost too.

I have multiple reasons for giving this a whirl, encouragement of our CIDP/GBS brethern is a primary.

Gary

• Anonymous
      March 24, 2010 at 8:39 pm

walked it last year was the last one to finish but i did it. been working out at the gym and using just a cane. Probably will use crutches for the walk. Waitiing on IVIG treatments/got ok from my urologist now waiting on neuro.(had kidney stones) a little anxious been waiting a long time for IVIG. dr said 3 times a week for 3 months. I have people lined up to sit with me during the treatments.

• March 25, 2010 at 6:53 am

Jojo,

I’m really pumped up to go. I’m glad you’re going and look forward to meeting you there. We’ve made all our travel arrangements to be there in time for the event. I’ve never been to NC; we’re going to stay on the coast until race day (Friday) and tour the state before the race. We fly out Saturday afternoon from Raliegh immediately after the race. I’m hoping it won’t be too tight of a timeline to do the event in the morning; take part in the celebration; and make a 4:30 flight. 😮

As for finishing last last year, I think finishing is miraculous in itself. Here’s to hoping you are able to skip the Miracle Mile some day.

I hope you are able to get your treatment soon and it is effective.

Gary

• Anonymous
      March 25, 2010 at 5:10 pm

Go Gary, Go!!

I shall cheer from the sidelines in Michigan!! 😀

• April 23, 2010 at 5:33 pm

Thanks Tina. I’m getting pumped to go. 1 More week. Woo Hoo.

• May 3, 2010 at 7:16 am

WOW!!! The Miracle Mile was such a blessing. My wife and I walked the 5K (I ran for a little bit of the 5K just to be able to say I did it. I wore my baby blue GBS-CIDP [B][U]SURVIVOR [/U][/B]shirt with pride and a profound gratitude for what God has done towards allowing my nerves to heal and regain strength.

I met so many awesome people. Most people there were GBS survivors. I met only one other CIDP patient. The volunteers stationed along the 5K provided so much encouragement and made the event very special. (Nancy, who walked along with my wife and I all the way, will always be a cherished memory).

Evan was the star … 3 years old and recovering from GBS. What a sweet child and a special mom.

A lady who had given birth to twins ran in the 5K … her husband is a GBS survivor … the twins were born two weeks ago. 😮

A special thanks to Hannah (a GBS survivor herself) … you are awesome. Thank you for utilizing your God given gifts for the Miracle Mile. It is truly a ministry.

North Carolina is a beautiful state, but the people are what makes it really special.

Gary

• Anonymous
      May 3, 2010 at 8:34 am

Gary,

Congratulations to you, your wife and all those that participated in the Miracle Mile.

Our son served in the Marines in NC., he married a girl from there and now lives there after serving his time in service.
      It is a beautiful state with wonderful people.

Once again congratulations to all of you.

Shirley

• Anonymous
      May 3, 2010 at 4:48 pm

Gary,
      Tried to contact you at the Marriot by didn’t know your last name. Was right over by the race area the afternoon before. Sorry we didn’t get to met.

Did you take any photos of the event you might post for us to see?? Surprised the Miracle Mile Race wasn’t written up in the Charlotte Observer?? No coverage at all.

Glad you did the 5K and Hannah is a great lady. She’s the local liaison for GBS/CIDP with Kristen.

• May 3, 2010 at 6:13 pm

Hi Gary!
      Congratulations on the marathon! It was really great hearing about other participants especially the little 3 yr. old.
      You have made the day for many of us.

• May 7, 2010 at 7:37 pm

Limekat, sorry we missed you. We got in around 9:00pm and left at 11:00am Saturday for Raleigh airport (our plane out was at 4:30). Ashville and Builtmore were incredible.

KatyK, thanks. We had a blast.

[IMG]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4007/4587966778_6183830654.jpg[/IMG]

This is the “Survivor’s celebration” at the end of the Miracle Mile.

Gary

• May 7, 2010 at 10:22 pm

The Finish Line

[IMG]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4008/4587964692_d849f475d6.jpg[/IMG]

• May 7, 2010 at 10:26 pm

The Start of the 5K walk

[IMG]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4050/4587341063_b5c94a66dc.jpg[/IMG]

• May 7, 2010 at 10:34 pm

Running for those who can’t …

[IMG]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4024/4587965308_58ae9a5a9c.jpg[/IMG]

• May 7, 2010 at 10:36 pm

CIDP Survivor