Meds for fatigue?

• Anonymous
      January 13, 2010 at 5:00 pm

Is anyone being treated for fatigue. I have tried B-12 Injections and I could tell no difference. I can’t even clean my house anymore or do other everyday tasks and hobbies. I can deal with pain, bring it on all day long, but not being able to function because of the fatigue is killing me.

• January 13, 2010 at 8:02 pm

Dear lilDove,

My fatigue seems to come and go. I think my B-12 injections (1cc every 4 weeks) helps, but it’s not a WOW kind of reaction.

It seems counter intuitive, but exercise helps me more than anything. I have to fight myself to go and usually it takes a while for me to get up to speed, but eventually the fatigue goes away and I always feel stronger and better after exercise.

Exercise doesn’t do the same thing for everyone, quite the opposite. But if you try it, take it easy, don’t over do it and maybe it will help you as well.

Glad you’re a part of the Forum and I pray God will take away the fatigue and heal you from CIDP.

Gary

• Anonymous
      January 13, 2010 at 9:48 pm

Ah, the fatigue. I agree with you that I can easily deal with the nerve pain, for me the disability part, etc. But the fatigue is the worst part of this illness. Some have tried Ritulan, but most without much success. I think that the fatigue is brought on by us trying to make damaged nerves fire up muscles all day long. The only solution I have found after almost 8 years now, is REST. Lots & lots of sleep & naps in the afternoon. I wish I could be more positive.

• Anonymous
      January 14, 2010 at 12:22 am

Hubby has been on Alertec 100mg-200mg. once per day. It does help with the fatigue. The other name is Provigil. It is quite commonly prescribed for those with MS too.
      Laurel

• Anonymous
      January 14, 2010 at 1:51 am

Thanks guys I will talk to my Doctor. I try the exercise in moderation. Sometimes it really aggravates more than helps though. I guess I expend so much energy just to make my legs do what I want them to I defeat my purpose.:p I did get myself a wii though, so I use it several times a week! Its really fun and you don’t think of is exercise!! Gary, I see you are from Lake Jackson, I lived in Angleton.:D

• January 14, 2010 at 7:06 am

lilDove,

What??? Angleton??? Such a small world!

Gary

• Anonymous
      January 14, 2010 at 1:45 pm

Yes, I still have family there. With all this snow in West Virginia I wish I was back there!:D

• Anonymous
      January 15, 2010 at 12:24 am

I agree with Gary to a degree. I think his is a limited thing as well.

I have found that being sedentary breeds being sedentary. If I wake up, take a shower and eat a breakfast, I seem much more energized for the day. If I am doing something, I have more energy to do something else.

But, there is always the BUT. It seems like If I do too much, I knock myself down and it takes a while to get back on my feet.

I went from working full-time to being on disability and not working at all. This past year I have started helping a friend with some bookkeeping, and that led to a 20 hour a week part-time job. Some weeks I struggle with the hours, but I have found that I am more energized with something to do as opposed to doing little or nothing around the house.

I have also heard provigil works. good luck

• Anonymous
      January 15, 2010 at 6:24 am

Fatigue…the big issue, and no way to solve it.
      It happens that the more I rest for long siestas, the more fatigue I get, cervical and lumbar pain I have. Same with arms and legs, do simple physical jobs, and I ger exhausted.
      As some said here, I can manage pain, but no the fatigue.
      What I do is to have 2 or 3 short rests or siestas in bed.

• Anonymous
      January 15, 2010 at 9:44 am

I have used Provigil for a couple of years, and have recently switched to Nuvigil. They work well for me for overcoming daytime fatigue and drowsiness.
      One major drawback…depending on your insurance, they can be quite expensive. Depending on your dosage, a month’s supply can cost about $150, after your co-pay. As they aren’t available in generic, I have to pay 50 percent of the “list price”.
      They are not a substitute for proper rest, but can be helpful, in my opinion.

Elmo

• Anonymous
      January 15, 2010 at 4:44 pm

If I did not have the Provigil for fatigue, I would probably be in bed all day. I survive with 200mg of Provigil and 300 of Lyrica for pain. I also take Naproxin for inflamation, as needed, and Tramadol for bleedthrough pain. My copay for Provigil is $25.00 a month and the copay on the Lyrica is $25.00.
      I am still undiagnosed. I have a desk job and work full time. Some days are rough!
      I’m just adding to the information heap!!:)

• Anonymous
      March 5, 2010 at 2:06 pm

I am one year out from my initial onset. I had 2 relapses – one major and one minor. I am pretty good now except for the neuropathy and fatique. My docotor started me on Provigil last fall and it worked wonders. I have since swithed to Nuvigil, mostly I think, because that was the “samples” he had available. Without the medication I am dead by the afternoon. i am battling with the insurance company now about paying for it. We have a 20% copay but if I need to pay for the whole thing, I will.

I have been back to work fulltime since August and am not extremely active but there are days when I am out in the plant a lot. Up and down stairs and a lot of walking. I have learned to take it easy and recognize when I am doing too much.

Definately talk to your doctor about these medications. I have not noticed any side effects and sleep like a baby most nights.

Gary

• Anonymous
      March 15, 2010 at 10:01 pm

I tried Provigil first, and found it still wasn’t working.
      So, with my neuro’s help, I then tried Ritalin, starting with 5mg.
      I worked up with it until it finally helped.
      When I first get up in the morning, I take 20mg of Ritalin.
      That gets me through the morning.
      Then at 12noon, I take another 20mg.
      That gets me to about 4pm or 5pm, and I then must go to bed due to the fatigue.
      But, at least I last most of the day out of bed.
      Ken
      (KEDASO)

• March 16, 2010 at 11:24 am

Hi Ken,
      ]How are you? You have not posted in a while.

• Anonymous
      March 19, 2010 at 6:31 pm

I have been considering asking my doctor for something for fatigue. It is crushing and makes me miserable to have to push so hard to get through the day. I guess I can run it by her. It doesn’t hurt to ask right/