Medication Advice

• Anonymous
      July 18, 2006 at 4:22 pm

I am wondering if anyone takes anything for their pain other than neurontin? I am unable to take neruotin. The pain I have makes it difficult to sleep at times.

• Anonymous
      July 18, 2006 at 11:27 pm

Cheryl,
      I took cymbalta for a year or so. I had to go back to neurontin because the insurance doesn’t cymbalta. My doc also gives me celebrex and darvocet. Hope you can get something to relieve the pain.

be well
      Patricia

• Anonymous
      July 19, 2006 at 6:53 am

Cheryl, sorry about the pain, I too have CIDP and went through a long spell of pain. In general the ordinary pain relievers don’t touch our neuropathic pain. The most effective are some of the anti-epilepsy drugs, we used to use Tegretol (Carbamazepine) and some still do, then came Neurontin (Gabapentin) then its cousin Pregabalin(Lyrica) with fewer side effects.
      Tricyclic anti-depressants (Amitriptyline, Imipramine) in small doses at bedtime raise the pain threshold so the pain is less.
      Some are on morphine/heroin based drugs (Fentanyl, MST, Morphine) but these are addictive and often the dose needs increasing. DocDavid