Medicare Question

• Anonymous
      April 20, 2010 at 3:43 pm

We are trying to get disability. Not for GBS or if this turns out to be CIDP, but rather for sickle cell anemia disease and chronic hep C….my question relates to whether or not Medicare pays for IVIG treatment? We started a 3rd round today and the company doing it had us fill out some forms for financial assistance, since our portion of this lovely med is about $4,000 a treatment. I just about had a stroke when he told me that (we have yet to receive the bill from the 2nd treatment and the 1st was done while admitted to the hospital – also not seen a bill from that visit yet) — I now view our mailbox as a highly potential threat!

But I swear, I thought I read some where that IVIG was not covered by Medicare – does anyone know for sure? Thanks!

• April 20, 2010 at 4:01 pm

I know that certain health care companies will not take medicare patients because they loose money. Since they are independant and do not recieve a non for profit tax break like some hospitals, they do not have to take you. Hospitals might have to especially if they get that special tax break. Also, different ivig companies have different programs. For instance gammaguard has this program called gamassist, they do 2 things, they guarantee you will always have ivig if there is a shortage as well, they will give you ivig for a certain amount of time should there be an insurance problem. Maybe there is some special hardship regarding the $4K out of pocket. As well, they work with insurances and will sell directly to the insurance and it gets delivered to your house. They also set up nursing. Gamunex does that as well. I am not sure about how medicare factors into that but try giving them a call. Gammaguard is Baxter, they are in illinois if you are looking for the number. Try researching for the gamassist program (that was the name when we signed up)

They might try to push steroids if ivig is not available due to the $ situation. We have to do what we have to do. This is so hard!! We will pray for you that at least the trying to figure things out part goes smoothly.