Man-Killer Tiger at San Francisco Zoo

• Anonymous
      December 26, 2007 at 11:57 am

I’m glad this Tiger (is it the same one?) stayed IN the compound while I took these photos at the San Francisco Zoo.

We joked at the time that the Tiger looked at us as though we were a meal!

[IMG]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/65/162744285_5132aaecd4_o.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/61/224271273_903100c6fc_o.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/63/162143480_3c2f88d432_o.jpg[/IMG]

• December 26, 2007 at 5:56 pm

Ken,
      What beautiful pictures, the clarity in the subject as well as the subjects intent (dinner) is amazing! I am so jealous, i tried to post this weekend, put either my camera dock or myself is having a major malfunction. Is it possible to have too many pictures on my card threfore not allowing the computer to accept the full download?

Oh well, I’ll try again!
      Dawn

• Anonymous
      December 26, 2007 at 6:25 pm

What a beautiful animal, Ken! Did you notice when you were at the zoo and took the pictures if “it” was a female Siberian tiger? That there was a Siberian female tiger on the loose in San Francisco, who had killed one man and seriously injured two more, was on the evening news on Norwegian TV to-night too. How tragic for the men – and for the tiger, she had also bitten a warden two years ago, but I hope she doesn’t get the death penalty, I don’t believe in that neither for man or, especially endangered, beasts!

• Anonymous
      December 26, 2007 at 6:43 pm

[QUOTE=Dawn Kevies mom]Ken,
      What beautiful pictures, the clarity in the subject as well as the subjects intent (dinner) is amazing! I am so jealous, i tried to post this weekend, put either my camera dock or myself is having a major malfunction. Is it possible to have too many pictures on my card threfore not allowing the computer to accept the full download?

Oh well, I’ll try again!
      Dawn[/QUOTE]
      Thank you Dawn!

[QUOTE][I]Is it possible to have too many pictures on my card threfore not allowing the computer to accept the full download? [/I][/QUOTE]
      No. It is possible that your hard drive might not have enough available space and that could cause that…..but if that happens you would get a message telling you there was not enoough room to copy the files.

• Anonymous
      December 26, 2007 at 6:46 pm

[QUOTE=Allaug]What a beautiful animal, Ken! Did you notice when you were at the zoo and took the pictures if “it” was a female Siberian tiger? That there was a Siberian female tiger on the loose in San Francisco, who had killed one man and seriously injured two more, was on the evening news on Norwegian TV to-night too. How tragic for the men – and for the tiger, she had also bitten a warden two years ago, but I hope she doesn’t get the death penalty, I don’t believe in that neither for man or, especially endangered, beasts![/QUOTE]
      I only got shots of the face……and it never raised it tail…..so I don’t know the sex!

This may be the “killer”…..and last year a zoo worker was mauled by a tiger….

This tiger was shot/killed by police that responded as it was attacking two others after killing the first.

• Anonymous
      December 27, 2007 at 9:11 am

Great pictures Ken. I saw a spot on TV last night saying that the three men were supected of taunting the tiger.

• Anonymous
      December 27, 2007 at 10:12 am

What a pity that they may have been taunting it! Didnt watch news yesterday, so I didnt hear about the possible taunting – apparently one of the deceased was a teenager.

• Anonymous
      December 27, 2007 at 11:02 am

[QUOTE=Jfitzen]Great pictures Ken. I saw a spot on TV last night saying that the three men were supected of taunting the tiger.[/QUOTE]
      Thank you!

I saw that too…..don’t know if it’s true….. You can’t get close to the tigers but they can see and hear you, so I’m having a hard time visualizing this…..I suppose one could stand there and yell at the cats and make faces….

• Anonymous
      December 27, 2007 at 11:08 am

[QUOTE=ali]What a pity that they may have been taunting it! Didnt watch news yesterday, so I didnt hear about the possible taunting – apparently one of the deceased was a teenager.[/QUOTE]
      Part of the “taunting story” was that the tiger tracked them to the cafe and was after them……hmmmm. I’m trying to keep an open mind…….

• Anonymous
      December 27, 2007 at 10:01 pm

Ken, What Beautiful Captures!!!! It appears to be a female tiger you have caught! Males are broader and weigh a tad more than females, along with larger feet. Boy Your shots make me miss Our tiger Tara.

• Anonymous
      December 27, 2007 at 11:08 pm

[QUOTE=angel2ndclass22699]Ken, What Beautiful Captures!!!! It appears to be a female tiger you have caught! Males are broader and weigh a tad more than females, along with larger feet. Boy Your shots make me miss Our tiger Tara.[/QUOTE]
      Thanks Cheryl!

Now we’re missing Tatiana…..killed by the police….and we’ve learned that the wall was only 12½ feet high….the recmmended minimum is 16 feet.
      And they ARE investigating the possibility the boy dangled his leg at the tiger, which then LEAPED out of the compound and killed the boy as his friends fled but the tiger caught up with them at the cafe…..

• Anonymous
      December 30, 2007 at 3:59 pm

People just don’t understand that All animals in the Zoos are Still WILD and not pets or trained to be pet-like. Its sad. I have the utmost respect for tigers and wild animals after rearing many of them personally. They do calm down when treated with respect but they are wild and will regress back to it when the instinct kicks in. What a shame a beautiful, endangered animal had to be killed due to human nature and stupidity.

• Anonymous
      December 30, 2007 at 5:27 pm

What amazing pictures. I truly enjoy the pictures you post.
      MJ

• Anonymous
      December 30, 2007 at 10:03 pm

You have awesome photos !

• Anonymous
      December 31, 2007 at 4:15 pm

[QUOTE=angel2ndclass22699]People just don’t understand that All animals in the Zoos are Still WILD and not pets or trained to be pet-like. Its sad. I have the utmost respect for tigers and wild animals after rearing many of them personally. They do calm down when treated with respect but they are wild and will regress back to it when the instinct kicks in. What a shame a beautiful, endangered animal had to be killed due to human nature and stupidity.[/QUOTE]
      Yes!

While these predators are in their protected areas they are calm and adapt to it, but once they get out their instincts take over and then being in a strange environment (out of the caged area) they become extremely dangerous.

• Anonymous
      December 31, 2007 at 4:16 pm

[QUOTE=cincycat1]What amazing pictures. I truly enjoy the pictures you post.
      MJ[/QUOTE]
      Thank you MJ!

I’ll keep on posting them!

• Anonymous
      December 31, 2007 at 4:17 pm

[QUOTE=ConnorZmom]You have awesome photos ![/QUOTE]
      Thank you!

• Anonymous
      December 31, 2007 at 8:24 pm

And I guess I’ll add to the compliments and tell you I enjoy your photos too. They are so crisp and clear and nicely done! Makes me want to take up photography again…Gabrielle

• Anonymous
      January 1, 2008 at 12:51 pm

[QUOTE=gab111]And I guess I’ll add to the compliments and tell you I enjoy your photos too. They are so crisp and clear and nicely done! Makes me want to take up photography again…Gabrielle[/QUOTE]
      Thank you Gabrielle!

Take it up again! When I bought my new camera my wife asked to have my “old” one (less than a year old…..). So, I fitted it with a really great lens for her and she’s getting into it!

• Anonymous
      January 11, 2008 at 1:40 pm

Wow Ken, just absolutely beautiful!

I would like to start a movement (if one doesn’t already exist) to abolish zoo’s. We are all inhabitants of this planet and all the other species deserve their space as well as us. What if we were on exhibit???

• Anonymous
      January 11, 2008 at 10:41 pm

[QUOTE=Chrissy]Wow Ken, just absolutely beautiful!

I would like to start a movement (if one doesn’t already exist) to abolish zoo’s. We are all inhabitants of this planet and all the other species deserve their space as well as us. What if we were on exhibit???[/QUOTE]
      Thanks Chrissy!

Maybe we are on exhibit…..perhaps we are just someone’s ant-farm……