Magnetic shoe insoles?

• Anonymous
      October 10, 2011 at 9:42 pm

I attended a local GBS support group two days ago. One of the attendees mentioned that he found some foot pain relief by wearing some magnetic insoles in his shoes. I have seen similar products over the years but never had a condition that encouraged me to give them a try. I don’t know a medical reason for why something like this would work but I will admit ignorance in that area anyway. Does anyone here have any experience with these?

• Anonymous
      October 11, 2011 at 6:26 pm

No, no direct experience with those.

I have tried “many” other kinds, including various types I picked up on my travels in China. They have had all variety of bumps, spikes, magnetics, gel- you name it.

Generally speaking, my experience is that they wear out quickly, or worse, get stinky.

All that aside, try it you might like it.

For another option see this thread that just popped up in the Main Forum.

[url]http://www.gbs-cidp.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7549[/url]

• Anonymous
      October 11, 2011 at 11:24 pm

I don’t know anything about magnetic insoles, but I would suggest you wear larger shoes than usual, wider width and flat or low heels. They should be large enough to accommodate 1 or 2 pairs of good, flat, foam insoles. I find the ones at the dollar store are just as good as Dr. Scholl’s, and lots cheaper. I don’t like gel insoles; I got some years ago, they cost a small fortune, but the problem with them is that the feet shift inside the shoes with every step, and cause stress as well as blisters. Some of those orthopedic insoles are just going to give you more pain, especially those half-sole or molded types, they dig into the soles of your GBS feet and it’s like there are pebbles in your shoes, and GBS sensitivity will accentuate every single bit of the outlines or ‘special’ grooves in them.

I also wear soft, thick, loose socks with loose cuffs to cushion my feet. I check out the toe seams and try to buy socks with a solid knit and no seam, or a very soft seam with no sharp edges.

If your feet feel more comfortable and stable, your whole body feels better, and you can do more for longer periods of time. We need all the help we can get. BTW, don’t give up on your other shoes that you used to wear. After a few years of GBS foot recovery, I could wear some of them again, while sitting mostly. I also save all my old rubber or foam slipper soles from wornout slippers. I put them inside my new slippers to cushion them more, and they’re much more comfortable for my feet.