Lyrica Weight Gain

• Anonymous
      October 7, 2009 at 12:00 pm

Anyone have problems with weight gain from Lyrica? I am 14 months into GBS and am 90% recovered. However, I have gained a lot of weight in the last three months and a PT told me it might be the Lyrica in addition the normal weight gain from recovery. Any thoughts?

• Anonymous
      October 8, 2009 at 12:44 am

Mike,

Did you lose much weight during the tough months? My GBS was two years ago and the first 3-4 months while hospitalized I lost from 185 to 140 lbs. I have since gained it all back with no help from medications.

• October 8, 2009 at 8:14 am

A relative is on Lyrica for tri-genimal neuralgia, the maximum dose. He had gained 70lbs. They cut his dose in half and increased neurotnin and another nerve drug that he takes and the weight is coming off.
      Dawn Kevies mom

• Anonymous
      October 8, 2009 at 11:35 am

thanks for the info. I had similar weight losss to hutsky. i am also on max dose of lyrica, and i will now talk to my doc about options.

• October 10, 2009 at 12:08 pm

I stoped taking lyrica, and are now on gabetine or nourotine, that depends what drug are in awaleable in the country. I gained lot of weight during this lyrica time that I had

• Anonymous
      October 17, 2009 at 5:24 pm

Mike and all,

I have been taking lyrica (150mg x 2/day) for two years. Unfortunately I have gained 30 unwanted pounds.

If you read the literature that comes with lyrica, one of the side effects is weight gain. In my case, I have serious back problems, and need both knee and hip replacements…among other things. Lyrica has really helped me with the pain though, and gives me the relief that neurontin could not give for pain.

Regards to all.

Jethro

• Anonymous
      October 18, 2009 at 5:34 pm

Hi Mike,

I gained at least 15 pounds while taking Lyrica and I only used it for 2 months. Although my doctor didn’t want me to wean myself off, it was better to try and deal with the pain using other medications.

The weight gain caused even more issues with my back and knees. I also had a lot of weakness in my hips and thighs which is a nightmare, especially since my balance is off. Not to mention that none of my clothes fit and I had to pry my shoes on and off every day. As I work 40 plus hours a week, it was very depressing to try to find clothes comfortable and large enough to wear for long periods of time.

Oh, my doctor also said the Lyrica didn’t cause my weight gain. After stopping Lyrica and not changing my eating habits, I lost 18 pounds. Go figure?

Please do what you feel is best. If the Lyrica is keeping the pain at bay, it may be beneficial. It honestly helped relieve the burning nerve pain I have, but it was replaced by all the other issues so the trade off (for me) wasn’t worth it.

Take care,

Tina

• Anonymous
      October 20, 2009 at 12:33 pm

From about the age of 20 until about the age of 36 I was pretty much a constant 170-180 LBS. (I had GBS when I was 25, in 1995).

Since I started Lyrica around age 37, two years ago, I am now 250 LBS~! It has been a dramatic gain, and I don’t really have any other contributing factors I can blame it on, except for the Lyrica. It basically increased my apetite by quite alot.