Lyrica vs Neurontin

• Anonymous
      December 4, 2008 at 4:42 pm

Hi everyone, my name is Mike and I am new to the site. I am four months into my battle with GBS, still wheelchair bound, but I am making good progress in PT and OT.

Question: I am currentlky taking 150 mg of Lyrica twice a day for the tingling. I have seen some dialog here about Neurontin being very effective for those symtoms. Does anyone have any thoughts about the comparative effectiveness of one vs the other?

Thanks,
      Mike

• Anonymous
      December 4, 2008 at 5:46 pm

Hello My name is amy alittle background. Had GBS 2 yrs ago still recovering numb from the chin down, working and driving again use cane or forearm crutches.(i had foot drop in both feet) I dont take either medicince now but i believe i used them for nerve pain Neurotin was more effective for me. sounds like you are on your way to recovery good luck.

• Anonymous
      December 5, 2008 at 8:19 am

Hi Mike! My name is Linda. I took both the Lyrica and Neurontin.. Generic Gabapentin. The Lyrica did totally nothing for me but I had CIDP and not GBS. Both are still painful and annoying!
      I found the Gapapentin to be more effective also. In fact I think it is a much better drug for nerve pain.
      I tried Lyrica, Buspar, and even Cymbalta. And all three drugs failed for me. So I went back on the Gabapentin. That seems to work far much better and I feel better! Pleasure meeting you in here! Good luck and I hope you get well soon!
      Linda H

• Anonymous
      December 5, 2008 at 10:20 pm

Welcome Mike,

I started taking Lyrica (75mg twice daily) approximately one month ago. The burning pain and other “nerve” related pains have lessened a great deal.

I haven’t tried Neurontin or any other medications for nerve pain.

Take care,

Tina

• Anonymous
      December 6, 2008 at 5:06 pm

Jojo, Linda and Tina,

Thanks for the feedback! This site is great.

Tina, the 75 mg you are taking is the minimum dosage so its super that it is working for you.

Thanks again,

Mike

Lyrica vs Neurontin

• Anonymous
      August 16, 2008 at 11:59 am

I posted this the other day in the adult thread, but I thought I would move to see if I could get some additional responses. Thanks in advance.

My sister was stricken with a severe case of GBS in October, 2005 and is still slowly recovering. However, the past several months have been terrible with pain. In February of this year, her neuro changed her from Prozac to Cymbalta and she is currently on 90 mg per day. Then in April, he decided to begin changing her from 3600 mg of Neurontin to Lyrica because of break thru pain. Well, after 4 months she is currently on 300 x 2 of lyrica and 900 x 2 of Neurontin. He, also, just changed from Ultract to Ultram 4 times per day. But nothing is working. Does any one take both drugs? If so how much of each? I am currentlly spacing/ alternating the meds every 6 hours. Lyrica at the 8’s and Neurontin on the 2’s, but the pain in hours 4-6 is the worst.

Thanks in advance for your assistance. I have not posted on the boards since 2006; however, I read them constantly.

• Anonymous
      August 16, 2008 at 12:42 pm

Hi!
      I currently take Lyrcia at bedtime only, I take zoloft 75mg. dly in am & xanax 3x a day and percicet 3x day and as needed in between for break through pain. I also take requip 2mg. at bedtime.
      I had a bad reaction to higher dose of Lyrcia, Resp arrest.
      Cathy:)

• Anonymous
      August 16, 2008 at 1:40 pm

[FONT=Georgia]I’m not on Neurontin or it’s generic form but I am on 100 mg of Lyrica 3 x/ day, it helps stop some of the things from my neuropathy but others it hasn’t helped.[/FONT]

• Anonymous
      August 16, 2008 at 5:50 pm

Hi: It might depend on the type of pain she is feeling. I don’t take lyrica but am on 4800mg of neurontin as well as oxycontin. The neurontin worked for the burning neuropathic pain but only oxycontin helped with the sharp stabbing as well as the deep aching pain that never stops. There are so many types of pain we can feel and the right meds are needed for the type of pain. Ask her if she can elaborate on the type of pain and you might try percocet to see if that helps. People are sometimes afraid of the narcotic meds but I know a number of people, including myself, who couldn’t get by without them. Jeff

• Anonymous
      August 16, 2008 at 6:05 pm

Thanks everyone. Her hands are a deeping burning and constant drawing pain. The bottom of her heals have a sharp pain. She has 5mg oxycodone to take on as an as needed; however, she tries to avoid taking because of constipation.

• Anonymous
      August 17, 2008 at 3:09 pm

Hi! It’s Cathy C. again. If constipation is a problem she can take a stool softner every day. I ntake colase every night and if things start to bind up nI take a night nfor a few days and it really really does help.
      Hang in there.
      Cathy 🙂

• Anonymous
      August 17, 2008 at 5:31 pm

It can be bought online, but I actually make my own since my mom owns two fig trees in her yard! This year they are loaded too! Online it can be bought and is all natural. No preservatives or additives. Just a natural fruit extracted into a syrup. I see me at times go for 2 weeks not doing anything unless I take that syrup. 2 teaspoons a day helps me! She has the Oxycontin and if she is hurting that badly, she needs to take it for pain. But I am this way too! I hate being all drugged up from the pain. I take tylenol 3 with codiene for my pain but only use it when I need too! Maybe him RX’ing her some like that would be a better drug for her!

• Anonymous
      September 1, 2008 at 5:24 am

Hi,

I use to take Lyrica and it worked ok but it had the added effect of some weight gain also the cost in australia was expensive. I have now changed to Topamax which is a third of the cost and comes with some weight loss and has helped with a lot of my pain.

Hope this might help as an alternative.

Regards,
      Debbie