Low Red Blood Count

• Anonymous
      September 10, 2008 at 12:09 pm

Has anyone who has been on IVIG and Cellcept developed a low red blood count?

• Anonymous
      September 10, 2008 at 7:31 pm

Hi Carla,
      I’ve read a lot about Cellcept as my husband’s doctor wanted to put him on it (we have refused so far). The literature says “Decrease in the number of white blood cells, platelets or red blood cells in the blood (leucopenia, thrombocytopenia or anaemia)” as some of the potential side effects. I would think your low red blood count would be related to the Cellcept versus the IVIG. Take care.
      Laurel

• Anonymous
      September 10, 2008 at 9:13 pm

Laurel,

Thanks for your response. We are awaiting more blood tests, but the doctor did take my daughter off the Cellcept until we figure out what is going on.

• Anonymous
      September 10, 2008 at 9:41 pm

Hi Carla,

I am on 1000 mg Cellcept twice a day and weekly IVIG. My red count is fine, but my white count is low. I have some other issues going on that might be causing that. Neither my neuro nor my rheumatologist were concerned about that but I would say the Cellcept may be suspect if it is long standing. Take care, Gabrielle

• Anonymous
      September 10, 2008 at 9:46 pm

Hi Carla,

I agree with Gabrielle. I am on Imuran and ivig and I have blood counts done every three months and my imuran dose is adjusted to the counts, not my ivig.

Emma

• Anonymous
      September 11, 2008 at 12:58 am

My husband was on Imuran and Presnisone earlier on and he ended up with a blood disease and his white count was .6 (normal is a whole number 4 to 10) He did have two infections (sinus and intestinal) prior to this which probably kicked in because of these things. I believe that can happen with cellcept too if your count gets down too much. How some can take it and others cannot is confusing to me. All I know now is that my husband says he will never get on prednisone again. Do not know now what will happen since 2nd opinion said get off pp and ivig and go back on prednisone. Doc here said no, not until we hear why he want you on prednison. I am afraid he is one that is from the old school that thinks you should be on prednisone. He said the other two are too expensive (here we go again) and they will not help him. Waiting for 2nd opinion from him any day now.

• Anonymous
      September 11, 2008 at 10:57 am

My daughter has been on Cellcept for 15 months. This has been the first time for a problem. She has tolerated it very well. No side effects at all. The doctor did pull her off of it until we can find out what is going on. She had blood work yesterday and we are waiting on the results today. She also needs to have a nerve biopsy done ASAP and she starts back at college in a week, so we are working on that too.

• Anonymous
      September 11, 2008 at 11:52 am

Hopefully it is just a funny finding for now and she can get back on it soon.

• Anonymous
      September 11, 2008 at 2:06 pm

Good news! Low blood count was the result of her blood being drawn wrong. New tests came out normal! Now we just need to get the nerve biopsy so we can try to determine if this is CIDP or CMT.

• Anonymous
      September 11, 2008 at 2:50 pm

See? That’s great though! Keep us posted…..Gabrielle

• Anonymous
      September 15, 2008 at 1:36 pm

I have the opposite question… what is up with a high white blood count (25)??? It has been this way the past few years. Doc sent me to an onocologist and he said it was inflammation. End of subject. My doc still wants to know what is up. I am on lots of meds but nothing like you all are on and nothing for neuropathy (except vitamins).

Do you all think my high white blood count could be inflammation from GBS? I have no idea what my red blood count is – it must have been normal.

Thanks for the time!

• Anonymous
      September 15, 2008 at 4:27 pm

That is good news Carla. Hope the nerve biopsy is successful in determining the diagnosis. Good luck. Keep in touch.

Chrissy-an elevated white blood count usually suggests inflammation or infection process, like pneumonia. I get copies of all my lab work and x-rays and keep them in my medical records. With me, my white and red blood counts are low, and my platelets too, but not low enough for a transfusion. Do you have any medical records that would show a white blood count on you Chrissy before you got GBS 2/97? Maybe you normally run a little high. We are all different and it seems that the tests are all over the board for all of us since we got GBS/CIDP? 25 is a pretty high white blood count, though, seems like your doctor is checking it out. Maybe blood cultures?

• Anonymous
      September 19, 2008 at 1:13 pm

My daughter had her nerve biopsy yesterday. It took one hour and forty five minutes for the surgery. Her nerve was not where it normally should be so they had to look around for it. She was awake for the entire procedure. It has been shipped to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester and hopefully in 3 to 5 days we will have some answers. It has been three years since her weakness began and over two years on treatment. We need some answers.

• Anonymous
      September 19, 2008 at 2:36 pm

Hi Chrissy! A high white blood count normally indicates an infection somewhere or long term prednisone use at times can cause high white blood count. Inflammation and a few other things but can’t remember them all. Cancer can also be an indicator of someone having a high white blood count. Certain kinds of cancers. But other test would show things too indicating cancer. Like my CK was high and that is an indicator! That white blood count of yours was pretty high! I think I would get a second opinion!

• Anonymous
      September 20, 2008 at 12:20 pm

Linda,

It was about six years ago when i did get tested for leukemia and the blood doctor said no, and said inflammatory of some kind. Now I am almost 11 years post and continuinally deal with residuals. It has to be that. My regular doc checks my blood work usually once a year and sees it go up every year… last year he said he didn’t like it and wanted me to go to another doctor. Since then I have freaked out mentally over stuff at work, my father’s death, etc., so the focus has been on keeping my blood pressure down.

Who knows what the future holds – especially considering I am quitting my job (but will probably do the Cobra thing on my crappy insurance). I may do lots of healing getting out of the very unhealthy work environment I have been in for over 7 years.

Thanks for your thoughts!