Looking for a second opinion in San Antonio

• Anonymous
      August 27, 2006 at 5:35 am

I moved from California to San Antonio, TX a few months ago. I was dx with CIDP in Nov. 04 after GBS in Mar 04. Being retired military I was assigned a military Dr here soon after I arrived. There were not any military bases close by where I lived in CA, so I saw a civilian neurologist. The Dr here refered me to a military neurologist who scheduled me for an EMG. I saw him about a week after the EMG and he thinks I do not have CIDP but still residuals from the GBS. He has refered me to internal medicine and to start PT. The referal for IM has not been approved yet, but the PT was and I went Tuesday of last week. Since then my body has gotten very stiff and numb. Most of the stiffness is in my hands, arms, chest and abdomen. Starting in September, Social Security has put me on Medicare. This gives me the opportunity to see any Doctor I want. So I’m asking if there is anyone who knows of a good neuorlogist in the San Antonio area who has experience with GBS and CIDP. Don’t get me wrong I think all military doctors are just as good as their civilian counterparts. I was a medic in the military and worked along side them, so I know first hand how good they are but, because of Medicare I have the opportunity to get an outside second opinion. Thanks and be well.

John

Live for today, look foward for tomorrow.

• Anonymous
      August 27, 2006 at 10:30 am

Hello John,
      The first thing you should do is to call our foundation and ask them if they can refer you to a neurologist in San Antonio.

This is the best I could do using a search, neurologychannel was the only one that listed doctors in San Antonio. It does not state whether they have experience with gbs/cidp.

Roberto Silva
      5655 1H-35 South
      San Antonio 210-921-0116

Thomas J. Brown
      18626 Hardy Oak suite 230
      San Antonio 210-646-9244
      2nd office
      19222 Stonehue (same #)
      suite 101

Wilfred Castro
      1202 East Sonterra Blvd.
      suite 302
      San Antonio 210-615-1401

Perhaps when they post on a neurology site, they are good doctors.
      San Antonio

• Anonymous
      August 28, 2006 at 8:04 am

Bruno,

Not sure if this helps but I live in Abilene, TX and I have a great Neuro by the name of Dr. Paul Harris. He has been a live saver for me after several Dr’s didnt know there head from their @$^. It is 4 hours away from you but I am going for a visit tomorrow and will ask him if he knows any good Neuros in San Antonio with experience in GBS and get back with you.

Did your Dr do a NCV in conjuction with your EMG?

Stephen

• Anonymous
      August 30, 2006 at 10:47 am

Dear Bruno,

Please call Dr. Carlayne Jackson with the University of Texas Neurology Group in San Antonio. She is the Director of the South Texas ALS/Neurology Clinic and Professor of Neurology there. She literally saved our lives. My husband was mis-diagnosed by 3 neurologists as having ALS, a dx that literally tore our lives apart for 4 months until we could get in to see Dr. Jackson. She ran further tests and told us he DOES NOT have ALS and is now treating him for CIDP.
      You can reach her at (210)592-0113.

Please, please call her today. She is great!!!!

• Anonymous
      September 1, 2006 at 11:57 pm

Thanks everyone for the info, I’m going to hang with this guy a little longer. I have a few other doctors to see (IM, Rumy and Lung) I’ve started PT and next week aqua therapy. I also have a trip scheduled for the end of the month if I am able, so I might not want to make the change just yet. I am sure I will see another neuro for a second opinion
      Thanks again.
      John

• Anonymous
      September 2, 2006 at 12:13 am

John,

sorry, just changed my post …… didnt read your last post at all. Maybe my brain has never recovered …