Light therapy

• Anonymous
      January 13, 2007 at 8:40 pm

Anyone else playing with “cold laser” or light therapy?

I recently had a couple of sessions, and although I’m skeptical it did seem to improve my manual dexterity.

If you’re not familiar with it, here’s how it’s supposed to work:

[quote]Though the claims for light therapy invite skepticism, the mechanism that allows light therapy to work is relatively straightforward. Mitochondria absorb the light, convert it to ATP energy sources and fuel cellular processes. The resulting surplus of ATP can trigger a number of beneficial effects including reduced inflammation, improved blood flow, protein and enzyme synthesis, as well as cell replication and repair.[/quote]
      [size=”1″]http://www.therapytimes.com/content=5601J64E48BE8A841, Shining Light on a New World of Therapy ,By Patrick Points, 03.07.06[/size]

• Anonymous
      January 17, 2007 at 10:32 am

Although I have not had any experience with light therapy, I think you are doing the right thing in experimenting. Too often doctors are too skeptical and that does not help to advance science. I am trying out my magnetic pad on my legs and feet. One has to be careful of magnets because one side soothes and the other excites the cells. I shall let you know what happens.

As I read through the posts and compare them to my experience, I wonder if trying to walk too soon is not good. They push patients to walk to get them out of the hospital and to somewhere else. In rehab you have to have so many hours of PT or you cannot stay there. But it does not make sense to me that one should try and use legs that do not have healthy nerves to direct the muscles. Perhaps that is why some people get residuals like burning on the bottoms of their feet. And pain. I tried to knit the other day and found my hands aching and extra tingling that night. So I shall not do that again. Since I have been crawling due to the broken ankle and GBS weakness, I seem to have skipped a lot of the pain and burning of the feet. When the orthopedic doc told me I could walk on the leg that looked like a balloon with toes, I looked at him aghast. What idiot would want to walk on a foot that was swollen up to the knee?? Don’t you think that there must be damaged tissues,etc..let alone the bone?? I think there are a few great doctors out there, but only a few. Why else would doctor’s mistakes be the THIRD leading cause of death in the US? That is why I like this site. It keeps us abreast of how others are being treated for this and what we are finding out for ourselves. After all of these years, GBS is still a syndrome which means, “It’s your guess what causes it!” Anyone want to call Sylvia Browne or Linda Jamison? May as well give the psychics a chance!
      So light therapy? WHy not. Sunlight is needed by the body. I read years ago that putting water in a RED glass and leaving it in the sunlight for a few hours then drinking the water was healthy. Can’t remember why now.

• Anonymous
      January 17, 2007 at 7:48 pm

Olav,

I say if it works for you then that’s all that matters. I am pretty open minded and willing to try anything once (almost anything lol) so I am interested in reading up more on this. Thanks for the links and I hope you continue to improve.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      January 17, 2007 at 9:39 pm

Thanks to you both. I hadn’t seen anything about it written up here, so I thought I’d mention it.

My regular OT described it as “hokey.” But we decided placebo effect or not, it didn’t hurt, and if I thought it was helping. . . .

The unit they’re using on me looks like the Solaris unit shown in that article; we move it along the ulnar nerve and treat four locations on the hand for about a minute at each location. It’s quick, painless, and afterwards manipulating Chinese iron balls was much easier. — I used to use these for hand flexibility before getting GBS, so I’m quite adept at them even though my right hand in particular is still recovering function of the intrinsic muscles.

• Anonymous
      January 18, 2007 at 1:51 pm

My wife experimented with both the laser therapy and the deep osollation therapy. Both seemed to help a little with the pins-and-needles, but the deep osollation seemed to help more dramatically, plus they trained me to give the deep osollation therapy to her so that helped us both emotionally. Both therapies have to be continued long term to help apparently and she was getting better anyway and time to go spend a couple of hours a day was getting difficult to schedule so we quite going.